• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,135 posts in this topic

How about some Our Fighting Forces stuff? I barely have any of that title. The Losers are pretty sweet. popcorn.gif

Ask and ye shall receive, Weird..

Right now I'm away on business... I'll be back on Tuesday and post some covers then. And speaking of being away, I was able to hit some comic shops on my trip where I nailed up Unknown Soldier #245, and Sgt. Rock #373, #374, #375 and #378 in dead on NM. That completes high grade runs of both titles for me.... taken seven years so far. Also nailed NM copies of House of Mystery 202, 211, 212, and another book that's been eluding me.... Our Army at War #205 in VF/NM.

Not a bad trip!

Shep

Love the psycho look on Rock's face on this one. Along with the guy's head being completely lost in the snow.

Absolutely. Btw, isn't this a "swipe" from a OAAW cover in the 1960s?

I agree that the quality is always there in the DC war books. Even the 1950s books that don't have continuing characters are great.

I just finished the Sgt. Rock archives volume 2 and by the end of the volume I felt that the stories and art were just tremendous. Kanigher and Kubert had really figured out what they were doing with Rock after 20 or so stories they got EVEN BETTER at it. Super stuff.

Marc

I just finished the Sgt. Rock archives volume 2 and by the end of the volume I felt that the stories and art were just tremendous. Kanigher and Kubert had really figured out what they were doing with Rock after 20 or so stories they got EVEN BETTER at it. Super stuff.

Marc

Marc,

I may be skirting heresy, but enjoy the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Rock archives because in my mind, those issues (#83 up to about #120) are the best of the Silver Age Sgt. Rock tales. Don't get me wrong - #121 up to #200 are okay (and there are some standouts) but Kubert and Kanigher were just hitting homeruns with the early issues. They seemed to lose some steam through the mid-sixties. To me, Our Army at War never got REALLY good again until 1968, when Kanigher stepped back from editing and Kubert took the reins, somewhere arounf OAAW #196.

All the same, it's great to see those Archives. Finding nice originals of those early stories is a tough and expensive slog.

Shep

I may be skirting heresy, but enjoy the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Rock archives because in my mind, those issues (#83 up to about #120) are the best of the Silver Age Sgt. Rock tales. Don't get me wrong - #121 up to #200 are okay (and there are some standouts) but Kubert and Kanigher were just hitting homeruns with the early issues. They seemed to lose some steam through the mid-sixties. To me, Our Army at War never got REALLY good again until 1968, when Kanigher stepped back from editing and Kubert took the reins, somewhere arounf OAAW #196.

Well, you're not skirting it with me anyway. I'm sure I agree with you because my favorites are probably the 1968-1979 issues. I loved how in the last panel of #108 (the only Heath job in archive #2) Rock's face finally looks just like it does in all the Heath issues from the early 1970s (my favorite issues). Another example of how in archive two I feel that the creators are really getting settled in and the character(s) is really taking shape.

Best,

Marc

Btw, I agree about those early Sgt. Rocks you posted. I started buying DC war titles the month before the name changes to Sgt. Rock and Unknown Soldier so these books were huge for me as a nine-year-old. Very quickly I subscribed to Sgt. Rock, my first comics subscription. #306 was the first one I got in the mail and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Rock306.jpg

How about some Our Fighting Forces stuff? I barely have any of that title. The Losers are pretty sweet. popcorn.gif

Be careful what you ask for. Here is the (IMHO) WORST of the DC BA war stuff thanks to Jack "king" 893blahblah.gif Kirby. Some of these covers could have been great if they were done by Heath, Kubert, et al. But Kirby's [embarrassing lack of self control] just made them terrible.

928719-OFF152.jpg

928719-OFF152.jpg.52a3754f398257e1f746f2b2030df717.jpg

Be careful what you ask for. Here is the (IMHO) WORST of the DC BA war stuff thanks to Jack "king" 893blahblah.gif Kirby. Some of these covers could have been great if they were done by Heath, Kubert, et al. But Kirby's [embarrassing lack of self control] just made them terrible.

I completely agree with you. Although I know Kirby is thought of as an innovator, I personally think his style is terrible, not only regarding war books, but with superheroes as well. I have many of these same Kirby cover issues and they are by far my least favorite of all my war books.