• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,135 posts in this topic

And the backups in Sgt. Rock after 1980 were for the most part grade-Z hackery.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Some of that stuff was done by guys like Bissette and Truman, and ( I think) even by the Kubert brothers. Have to check out those issues again.

DC War backups in the Bronze Age are a mixed bag of the sublime, and the straight out lousy.

USS Stevens by Glanzman and the Toth stories are obviously great. OSS Stories by anyone typically are awful.

I loved Dateline: Frontline in the Unknown Soldier and Men of War books. Great writing by Cary Burkett, and art by Ric Estrada and Gerry Grandenetti.

The Fred Ray Civil War and American Revolution stories are great.

A lot of the Bob Kanigher Gallery of War stuff is amazing. Some are awful.

Tim Truman, Rick Veitch and Steve Bissette did indeed do some wonderful stories in Sgt. Rock in the 1978-81 era.

The most overlooked backup of the era? The Vietnam story in the back of Unknown Soldier #211 (I think) written by Larry Hama and drawn by Russ Heath. There's another late Heath tale in GI Combat #208 'If the Bullet's Got Your Name on it'.

Others? Some of the George Evans WW1 backups. Walt Simonson's first pro work in the back of Unknown Soldier. And my own personal favorites of all - The Medal of Honor tales by Norman Maurer.

Aside from those.... loads of bad stuff. Thank goodness the lead tales were so fabulous.

Shep

Iron Major covers?

NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!!!

Iron Major it is. There are some SWEETIES.

Let me unleash the hounds... I have them all in really nice shape. Friday AM I promise, if not sooner.

In the meantime, if someone has the Enemy Ace Star Spangleds from #138 to #150 in super HG, I'd like to see those too. Mine are all VF(ish), and it's one of the few runs, DC-war wise, that I still want to upgrade.

Shep

Iron Major covers?

NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!!!

Iron Major it is. There are some SWEETIES.

Let me unleash the hounds... I have them all in really nice shape. Friday AM I promise, if not sooner.

In the meantime, if someone has the Enemy Ace Star Spangleds from #138 to #150 in super HG, I'd like to see those too. Mine are all VF(ish), and it's one of the few runs, DC-war wise, that I still want to upgrade.

Shep

I'd like to see a high grade Showcase 57 or OAAW 151.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Looks familiar....

Incremental shiller!!! Stick to hoarding Bats 227 and lay off the DC war books!!! poke2.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif I have learned my lesson and will stick to my side of the fence!

....for now. devil.gif

It WAS such a high dollar book ....

He then graciously let me win some restored Weird Wars...

27_laughing.gif

Did those turn out to be restored/trimmed? 893whatthe.gif The Bats 244 went out a few days ago for a refund....

The seller is NARU'ed, but the 10 came back unrestored and accurately graded. The WWT 8 didn't make the 9.2 pre-screen (he had it at a VF/NM, I believe). Wish I would have won more. confused-smiley-013.gif

958907-ww10.jpg

958907-ww10.jpg.e45c521ff4914eade325932610617317.jpg

Edited by Weird

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Looks familiar....

Incremental shiller!!! Stick to hoarding Bats 227 and lay off the DC war books!!! poke2.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif I have learned my lesson and will stick to my side of the fence!

....for now. devil.gif

It WAS such a high dollar book ....

He then graciously let me win some restored Weird Wars...

27_laughing.gif

Did those turn out to be restored/trimmed? 893whatthe.gif The Bats 244 went out a few days ago for a refund....

The seller is NARU'ed, but the 10 came back unrestored and accurately graded. The WWT 8 didn't make the 9.2 pre-screen (he had it at a VF/NM, I believe). Wish I would have won more. confused-smiley-013.gif

958907-ww10.jpg

Nice. You get the two accurately graded ones and I get the trimmed piece of shiet. foreheadslap.gif

Just got nine books from an ebay dealer - Sgt. Rock 368-376. The 370 is the only one I need to upgrade.

I thought it would be easier to get the Rocks from 350 on up in decent shape. It is a biatch. I guess because the book guides for so low at that point it isn't worth it for dealers/sellers? Or is it the print runs for war in the 80s?

Here are a couple of the cooler covers:

Sgt. Rock 368 - pretty cool headshot:

967644-rock368.jpg

Sgt. Rock 375:

967645-rock375.jpg

Hey Weird and all,

Weird, you are not wrong about the later Sgt. Rock issues... they can be very, very tough in strict NM. A lot of my copies are 9.2, and I am going to live with them!!! The painful thing is that I bought every Sgt. Rock from #315 to about #390 off the shelves and proceeded to read them down to VF. Upgrading them has been very, very difficult. I see more true high grades of books from 1974-76 that I do from 1978-83 in this genre. Very tough.

What I like about the issues from this era is that Kubert is obviously assisting heavily on the opening tales, or drawing them outright. And Kanigher is still writing very strong stuff.

Great books

Shep