• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,135 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2019 at 6:08 AM, 1950's war comics said:

CHARLTON WAR cover that can compete with the best of any other brand !!!!!

Agree! Charlton war books of this era get a really bad rap - they have a different flavour than DC war from the Bronze Age, but they have many charms! 

A few years back, I was fortunate to purchase VF run of all the Charlton war books from about 1969-81. I’ll try and post some of the covers soon. Some of them are truly spectacular.

Shep

Edited by bigfiver69

On 1/9/2019 at 6:08 AM, 1950's war comics said:

CHARLTON WAR cover that can compete with the best of any other brand !!!!!

Charlton just had a tough time ever getting a title with a cast of characters to survive. I guess some of the monster books had a host, but weren't the war books all solo stories? Their tv show comics failed and even stuff like e-man, which was not bad, failed. I think they had odd distribution? We'd get them on a road trip in the middle of nowhere, but I never saw them on a newsstand (and most still had comics when I was young)

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

A bit shocked that issue does not sell for a premium.

I'm slowly building this series. This is one of those series from my youth that really hit me on comics being more than mere entertainment. And I didn't even notice the obvious connection of this cover. Boy, do I feel stupid. But thanks for the Sunday education. Well, thanks to @1950's war comics :)

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On 1/31/2019 at 9:35 AM, bigfiver69 said:

Agree! Charlton war books of this era get a really bad rap - they have a different flavour than DC war from the Bronze Age, but they have many charms! 

A few years back, I was fortunate to purchase VF run of all the Charlton war books from about 1969-81. I’ll try and post some of the covers soon. Some of them are truly spectacular.

Shep

Growing up in the 70s, I'm also a fan of the Bronze Age Charlton War (and other titles) which are very, very affordable though sometimes hard to find in decent grade mainly due to low supply and even lower demand. But with lazy spell checking like this - on a cover to boot - it's not hard to see why the company was doomed to demolition...

Fightin' Army #150

On 2/3/2019 at 1:58 PM, the blob said:

Charlton just had a tough time ever getting a title with a cast of characters to survive. I guess some of the monster books had a host, but weren't the war books all solo stories? Their tv show comics failed and even stuff like e-man, which was not bad, failed. I think they had odd distribution? We'd get them on a road trip in the middle of nowhere, but I never saw them on a newsstand (and most still had comics when I was young)

Yeah, Charlton War always just seemed to be a collection of whatever the editors could slap together each month (no anchor characters ie. Sgt. Rock, Unknown Soldier, etc.). You also had to beware of reprints which were quite common in the titles.

Fightin' Marines #111

Fightin' Marines #144

5 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

I tend towards Marvel rather than DC, but I just could not resist this beauty from a recent board sale

A769CB06-5F43-4598-888F-378DD0556F7C.jpeg

Congrats on getting a beautiful copy of the classic Bronze Age war key. One has to go to DC in order to "declare war."

Bronze Sgt Fury reprints sold as well as the originals according to Stan:

Lee explained the series's transition to reprints: "... so much fan mail came in from readers who wanted more of Sgt. Fury, but we didn't have time, I didn't have the men to draw it, I didn't have the time to write it, and we were busy with other things, so we just started re-printing the books, and strangely enough, the reprint versions of Sgt. Fury sold as well as the original ones had!"[14] The final issue, #167 (Dec. 1981) reprinted the first issue

Image result for sgt fury 167  Image result for sgt fury 167

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, NP_Gresham said:

I tend towards Marvel rather than DC, but I just could not resist this beauty from a recent board sale

A769CB06-5F43-4598-888F-378DD0556F7C.jpeg

Kubert's stuff is superior. Although I wish DC wouldn't gunk up what is a pretty artistic image with the enemy ace square (which itself has lovely lines, but I wish it wasn't in the way of the underlying image). Anyway, I just love kubert's fluidity on many of these covers. particularly later in the 60s/early 70s these are real works of art.

Edited by the blob