• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

yup, people bought 'em to read them, not to hide them in a box!

And the dealers who ordered a copy or two and then ate them because those were such superhero crazy times, threw them in the quarter box. Bagged, maybe. Boarded, never!

I know because I was ordering one GIC every month and one Sgt. Rock for my little Saturdays-only store and con business. Never sold a single one!

At least I kept for myself the last three Rocks published. Hopefully they are at least 9.2.

Marc

Hey guys,

Still on those later Rocks....

One of the best finds I have ever made was a run of about 60 Sgt. Rock books between #350 and the end of the title in totally G- beater shape... 20 cents a pop, and I think I got them all for 10 bucks. They sit in a tidy little stack in my son's room (he's seven and LOVES the war books). Great stuff.

No high grades for his sticky little hands! Not yet, anyway.

In other stuff, let's not forget the more offbeat war stuff from the Bronze Age (and I'm talking DC here) To wit:

Four Star Battle Tales (reprints, but all quality)

G.I. War Tales (reprints)

Boy Commandos (reprints - but tough issues to find in HG)

All Out War (Dollar book, but pretty middling stuff)

Anybody into that stuff? I've got 'em, but I don't think I've actually read them except for the all-out war.

Shep

In other stuff, let's not forget the more offbeat war stuff from the Bronze Age (and I'm talking DC here)

I'm more of a fan of certain one shots with the main war characters. DC Special 26 was my first introduction to Enemy Ace. cloud9.gif

And I am a huge fan of DC Super Stars 15 w/Rock, Unknown Soldier, Marie, etc. thumbsup2.gif

I also remember the latter for being the comic that taught me what an ICBM was... yeahok.gif

Marc

I picked these 3 books up at a local show today for $10 each. To all the devoted war collectors: I saw a TON of late silver and early bronze war in 7.0 - 9.0 priced at a third or half guide. Are those common percentages for the genre? Do most dealers knock 50-75% off book values? If so, I need to focus on war a lot more, as the stories are hands-down the best from that period.

ssws146.jpg

ssws153.jpg

ssws155.jpg

Not sure about shows...But prices have been picking up.I am currently working on a star spangled war stories run all in 9.4 or better.Nice looking copies that you got for a great price....and yes...the war stories are...i believe...far better then mainstream superhero stories.

I picked these 3 books up at a local show today for $10 each. To all the devoted war collectors: I saw a TON of late silver and early bronze war in 7.0 - 9.0 priced at a third or half guide. Are those common percentages for the genre? Do most dealers knock 50-75% off book values? If so, I need to focus on war a lot more, as the stories are hands-down the best from that period.

Nice comics, October. I'm going to have to check into some reading copies of Star Spangled War Stories.

BTW - who is your avatar? Mr. Jiggyfly?

3995.jpg

BTW - who is your avatar? Mr. Jiggyfly?

3995.jpg

foreheadslap.gifAli G is a character played by Brit comedian Sacha Baron Cohen.

His character Borat is funnier. gossip.gif

"In my country we have problem..."

27_laughing.gif

"....down the well!"

I actually prefer Ali G. Borat's are funny, but some are pretty hard to watch, like the wine tasting one with the pictures of his sister.

I actually prefer Ali G. Borat's are funny, but some are pretty hard to watch, like the wine tasting one with the pictures of his sister.

That is the funniest one!

Oh, it's hilarious, I just felt bad for the two old guys. 27_laughing.gif

If so, I need to focus on war a lot more, as the stories are hands-down the best from that period.

Nice books and your comment is dead on. I think they are the best stories in the 1950s too, compared to other DCs. And the 1970s, though I'd put the Weird Westerns up there too. Let's face it, the war (and DC western) books are just more adult than most other genres. For obvious reasons.

Marc

If so, I need to focus on war a lot more, as the stories are hands-down the best from that period.

Nice books and your comment is dead on. I think they are the best stories in the 1950s too, compared to other DCs. And the 1970s, though I'd put the Weird Westerns up there too. Let's face it, the war (and DC western) books are just more adult than most other genres. For obvious reasons.

Marc

I just started reading the Weird Westerns and you are absolutely right, they are excellent as well. The subject matter just lends itself well to comics.

Marc

I just started reading the Weird Westerns and you are absolutely right, they are excellent as well. The subject matter just lends itself well to comics.

I just finished reading the first 100 pages or so of the Showcase Presents Jonah Hex. Excellent stuff (most of which I have already read). Can't wait to get to the Fleisher issues. cloud9.gif

Marc

I just finished reading the first 100 pages or so of the Showcase Presents Jonah Hex. Excellent stuff (most of which I have already read). Can't wait to get to the Fleisher issues. cloud9.gif

Anyone have an extra copy of the Jonah Hex DC Special? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif