• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif

Did those turn out to be restored/trimmed? 893whatthe.gif The Bats 244 went out a few days ago for a refund....

I took them out again tonight and they looked okay to me, but I am no expert. Maybe I'll waste one of my CS entries this year on the 8 and see what gives.

Thanks. acclaim.gif

....don't knock mambly pambly bidding, high proxy bids can get you into trouble! poke2.gif

You think $20 is a high proxy bid? screwy.gifdevil.gifflowerred.gif

That was a Mile High DS book that didn't meet reserve on ebay. I got it after-auction for less than my max bid (and less than the last one in grade sold for in 2003) and w/ free shipping. Lynne from MH rocks. yay.gif

So the "ambush" cover made it over to Atlas as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If there is one thing I fault the DC war covers for, it is the reliance on too many ambush scenarios. But now, I'm just nit-picking.

And now another ambush cover. crazy.gif

Just got some books from Metro today. I'll post a few of the others later.

Star Spangled War Stories 166 Oakland:

853507-SSWS166.jpg

853507-SSWS166.jpg.fd9781d3366fad00834c6dac5f2524f5.jpg

Edited by Weird

Cool, I just won this auction. Not really familiar with it but the price was right and heck.... it's Frazetta! Sorry that this is technically late Siver, but it looks BA to me so here I am. Anyone know anything about these books? Too bad #1 wasn't in the deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6542644941&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Cool, I just won this auction. Not really familiar with it but the price was right and heck.... it's Frazetta! Sorry that this is technically late Siver, but it looks BA to me so here I am. Anyone know anything about these books? Too bad #1 wasn't in the deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6542644941&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

[embarrasing lack of self control] Christo_pull_hair.gif GREAT deal, wish I had seen it. I paid that much for #3 alone. #1 is REALLY expensive and tough to find in HG.

Very good deal. 3 is everywhere (it's the only one I have), but getting the two for only $15 is a great deal. I believe all four issues in the run are Frazetta covers.

Now you have to get them all! Be careful not to get any of the reprints if auction scans are not as good as that one. I have seen some sellers try to pull that.

Very good deal. 3 is everywhere (it's the only one I have), but getting the two for only $15 is a great deal. I believe all four issues in the run are Frazetta covers.

Now you have to get them all! Be careful not to get any of the reprints if auction scans are not as good as that one. I have seen some sellers try to pull that.

They reprinted those? Are the covers substantially different on the repros?

They reprinted those? Are the covers substantially different on the repros?

Different enough. But they could be confusing if you didn't know better.

Star Spangled War Stories 152:

*Note the similarities with US 205.

Kanigher, for one, was quoted as saying that he expected his audience to turn over every three or four years so he would often reuse themes and such. Not that it has to do with this cover per se, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw your comment.

Marc

Yeah, Kubert ends up recycling themes as well. I think US 205 is more of a little tribute swipe to the early days of US in SSWS.

I recently upgraded my 152 as I didn't like the spotting on that copy. I cleaned Metropolis out of the rest of the Oakland copies of the title they had left while I was at it.

Here's the only new one that wouldn't be a re-post.

Star Spangled War Stories 165 Oakland:

877847-SSWS165.jpg

So far, I have the Oakland copies of SSWS 152, 156, 160, 162, 163, 165, and 166.

877847-SSWS165.jpg.dfdfbb41aca3c0c0ee780552f70209de.jpg

Edited by Weird

Hey guys,

New fella here. Just found this list, and I'm jumping in to say hi. My name is Brian Sheppard, and I live in St. John's Newfoundland. I'm a HUGE fan of bronze age DC war (and horror, but mainly war) and I was fortunate to have been able to have bought a lot of books off the racks as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s. My collection of DC War 1968-88 is complete, with about 90% of the books in sharp VF or better (I'd say half the collection is NM) and it has taken years to get this far.

Interesting to see the nice scans of other some of the high grade books belonging to people on this list. ANY of the over 800 issues that DC produced in this period in true 9.0 or better are rare gems indeed. Along with DC romance titles, I think the war titles are the hardest bronze age genre in grade. They really can be brutal.

I've also been very lucky to find some excellent original art from this era, with great pages by Russ Heath, Ric Estrada, George Evans, Ken Barr, Sam Glanzmand and Jack Kirby. When I figure out how to post images, I'll throw a few on. That said, if anyone has any nice Glanzman Battle Album pages or any USS Stevens pages, I have stuff to trade against.

There's been some talk about which books ar hardest to find from this era (in high grade). Here are my votes:

OAAW #256 - Awesome book, and near-impossible in NM. Finally got one four years ago, and never letting go.

OAAW #286 - Not a great issue, but strangely a tough one. Ruben Yandoc art on the Rock story, with a heavy Kubert assist. Decent Estrada Gallery of War tale.

SSWS #154 - Easily the toughest book from this title. Very rare above 9.0, but what an incredible Kubert cover.

WWT #10 - Super Toth art on a rare Sheldon Mayer story. Killer hard in grade.

WWT #12 - Kaluta cover makes it a true must have for horror collectors too.

WWT #60-#80 - Just a painful, difficult run to find in grade. Some real gems in there, though.

GI Combat #141 - Just a horror to find in grade. Perhaps Russ Heath's finest moment on Haunted Tank. If you've got a true NM copy, please contact me.

GI Combat #201-213. Early dollar-size books. Tough, and just beautiful books. #207 with the Heath art inside is probably the worst to find.

Our Fighting Forces - Happily, they're all readily available in decent shape. Some of the issues before #123 are tough, but they're for completists only.

Blitzkrieg #2 to #5 - All much harder than #1 to get.

Anyway, just a few observations. The digests in NM are scarce too, as are some of the DC specials.

Hopefully we'll see some action on this thread again soon. Anyone else finding any particular DC war books hard to find in grade? Love to know.

Thanks

Shep