• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Hey Greggy and all,

I hope I'm not straying too far off topic here, but I wanted to ask a question about grading.

Greggy, you are obvioiusly a man in love with the high grades (me too!) and your 25 centers are sweeties. I noticed on the SSWS #160, there is a printer's crease going from the right edge of the over, into the 'War' on the masthead. In your opinion, does this affect grade, and if so how much? I see it a lot on DC books from the late 60s onwards (up to about 1980). What's weird is I see it less on books of the early 1960s, which were supposedly printed on a thinner cover stock.

My money's worth is that it doesn't at all take away from the book's appearance or beauty. Still, dunno how it affects grade. I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.

And Greggy, keep those bad boys coming - those are very nice copies, and they are soooooooo hard to get above VF. I'm hoping to post some other 25 centers for tomorrow. I just love them to death.

Shep

Regarding how CGC grades them, I have seen printer's creases on books that they have graded up to the 9.8 grade. Whether you agree with that or not, that's just my experience.

I would imagine that regardless if you think that it would affect the technical grade, certain people would treat it differently from an esthetic point of view.

Regarding why it may show up on certain books more than others, it has been posted in the past from people in the printing industry that cheaper paper were used for the least popular titles. That's why you seem to see a lot of printer's creases on books such as Weird War Tales 1 and Ghosts 1. They probably weren't the top priority books at the time.

Regarding why it may show up on certain books more than others, it has been posted in the past from people in the printing industry that cheaper paper were used for the least popular titles. That's why you seem to see a lot of printer's creases on books such as Weird War Tales 1 and Ghosts 1. They probably weren't the top priority books at the time.

I didn't know that, Greggy, but that certainly seems to make sense. Good insight. Not good news for the DC bronze war and horror collector. But I suppose that just makes the hunt all the more fun.

Well, until somebody starts an Infinite BA Western thread, I figure War is close enough. I just noticed Andy's sig line and I wanted to give him a tease. This is the first scan from my Chicago stash. I'm busy this week so it will take me a while to put up a bunch of the others and give my little report. Andy, you must not have spotted this book because I didn't buy it until late Sunday. $20 for this glossy VF at Motor City. Geez, who says #116 is the best? I also picked up a VG+ copy of #125, another great cover.

896805-TMHK.jpg

896805-TMHK.jpg.618559ac0028be6e06ea9e402e62660f.jpg

This will be my first contribution to the war thread, since I bought my first two war comics at the con. I have wanted a nice copy of SSWS 141 for awhile though...

(Yes, I know these are technically late silver.)

5c4.jpg

4c4.jpg

Yeah, they both have decent gloss. The colors are really the 141's strongest point. Don't get me wrong, I love Kubert's art, but that cover wouldn't be half as cool without those eye-popping colors. I love the purple and reds. For some reason I really like purple covers. That color always seems to work well on comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, they both have decent gloss. The colors are really the 141's strongest point. Don't get me wrong, I love Kubert's art, but that cover wouldn't be half as cool without those eye-popping colors. I love the purple and reds. For some reason I really like purple covers. That color always seems to work well on comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yup, totally agree on the colors being the best part of that Kubert cover. Dude's arm is waaaay too long and always catches my eye.