• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2022 at 4:10 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Thr books are miscut along the top, the colors are wrong, the paper is wrong , they're obviously fake.

-J.

I'm sure. The "found in a warehouse" is so the seller can claim ignorance. But you'd think they could come up with a better story than basically admitting that they were stolen, rather than that they made fakes.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:39 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Hell yes wow. :whatthe: 

This is easily Campbell's best cover and I've always thought it would end up being his most sought after.   

This sale would put at #3 on the "most valuable" list.   

-J.

Just crazy when comic book prices are going down someone just had to have this. Nice cover but I prefer ASM 607.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Archaeos said:

Got a feeling Deadpool 3 has helped push this to the front of peoples minds a bit more, when the first trailer for it drops it might even get it higher…

That's what I was thinking.  Plus only a couple blue label 9 8's come up a year, if at all, and the book is over 12 years old now, hard to believe.  

-J.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:39 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Hell yes wow. :whatthe: 

This is easily Campbell's best cover and I've always thought it would end up being his most sought after.   

This sale would put at #3 on the "most valuable" list.   

-J.

Jay, do you ever plan on pushing out your list by 2030? Just curious. 😜

#1 ASM 667 Dell'otto and #2  on the list UF 4 variant are going head to head on comiclink current auction.  

It will be interesting to see if absolute rarity/cover art continue to trump a first appearance of a modern character.  I suspect it will. ASM 667 is just too big of a white buffalo.

It will also be interesting to see if the fact that TWO other 9.8 copies off UF 4 are coming up in the next heritage auction next month will affect anything one way or another.  hm

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/18/2022 at 7:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:

#1 ASM 667 Dell'otto and #2  on the list UF 4 variant are going head to head on comiclink current auction.  

It will be interesting to see if absolute rarity/cover art continue to trump a first appearance of a modern character.  I suspect it will. ASM 667 is just too big of a white buffalo.

It will also be interesting to see if the fact that TWO other 9.8 copies off UF 4 are coming up in the next heritage auction next month will affect anything one way or another.  hm

-J.

Please tell me you’ll include Amazing Spider-Man UNIQLO and Japan Limited on your year end list…

On 11/18/2022 at 7:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

There are, at best, just a few things that have consistently propped up demand for a book in the history of comics collecting, and the first appearance of a character has been the most important of those things. UF4 is going to be the long-term winner.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:07 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There are, at best, just a few things that have consistently propped up demand for a book in the history of comics collecting, and the first appearance of a character has been the most important of those things. UF4 is going to be the long-term winner.

Damn right.

That's why I purchased my ASM#129, Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 in 9.8 years ago. Part of my retirement fund.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:07 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That calculus has changed in the spec age where a characters potential appearance in a movie or TV show and the degree of success/failure of that can completely make or break a book.  Miles morales is a spec character and there are loads of copies of the UF 4 variant out there, most auctions seem to have at least one 9.8 copy for sale nowadays including the two copies coming up on heritage, as well as lower grades, not to mention for sale on ebay and instagram every day.  It literally is the warehouse book that plenty of people in this forum at one point speculated the ASM 667 Dell'otto "could be".   ASM 667 will always be king.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules