• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

Here is some research I was doing over a year ago. If anyone wants to continue, please do so.

From 2008 to 2010 Marvel produced partial sketch variants for cons. For 2008 & 2009, I have know idea why but for 2010 it could have been to promote Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.

All partial sketch variants have no UPC code on the front and back cover

Note: If there is a UPC Code on the front or back cover then it is not the Limited Edition Partial Sketch Variant that Marvel distributed at cons but a retailer incentive.

Print Run: Unknown ?

Partial sketch variants had the main character or team in colour and the background in B&W or sketch.

These are the ones I know so far. There could be more.

Uncanny X-Men #510

New Mutants #1

Black Panther #1

Avengers Children's Crusade #1

Black Widow #1

New Avengers #54

Shield #1

Avengers Initiative #14

One of the hardest to find is X-Men Legacy 211

miss read so was wrong on my deleted sentence

Thanks for the info. X-Men Legacy #211 is another one to add to the list.

Just checked. It was given out at the Phoenix Comicon 2008. No UPC code on the front or back cover so I know it is not a retailer incentive.

(thumbs u

Yea, that Deadpool Merc commands a few dollars.

Is this the one?

Scan%2041_zpsmcsd0szt.jpeg

Answering my own question. Yes it is. Just found it. Add Deadpool Merc with a Mouth #1 to the list. Does anyone know which con it was distributed?

Forgot to mention, all 2010 partial sketch variants have Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited ad on the back cover. That is why I said earlier it could have been to promote Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.

Here is a pic of the back cover.

s-l1600_zpseqhaxjit.jpg

Edited by juggernaut

Hello gents , these are some pretty cool books, that I honestly have never heard of.

Checked out past and recent sales and we're around $200 for both the X-Men legacy, and the Deadpool book. Not chump change, but not expensive enough yet.

To crack the Dirty Dozen, figure the book is going to have to sell for at least $1500 on at least a couple of occasions in a 9.8 to make it in. (thumbs u

-J.

Hello gents , these are some pretty cool books, that I honestly have never heard of.

Checked out past and recent sales and we're around $200 for both the X-Men legacy, and the Deadpool book. Not chump change, but not expensive enough yet.

To crack the Dirty Dozen, figure the book is going to have to sell for at least $1500 on at least a couple of occasions in a 9.8 to make it in. (thumbs u

-J.

I knew these books would never be on the top 10 list. I just had information I wanted share and felt this was the perfect thread to do so. I have a lot more info on other comics that I'll share when the time is right.

13a7j2.jpg

:shy:

Jerome

No, because it was never about that. (shrug)

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

13a7j2.jpg

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

I know you may have trouble understanding this, but books selling for lots of money due to manufactured rarity doesn't make them grails (the most overused word on this message board).

Heh, my spellchecker doesn't like the word "grails" for some reason.

13a7j2.jpg

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

I know you may have trouble understanding this, but books selling for lots of money due to manufactured rarity doesn't make them grails (the most overused word on this message board).

You're right, it isn't the "manufactured rarity" or the fact that they sell for lots of money that makes them "grails"....

The fact that they are "earnestly pursued and/or sought after" by many, many collectors does. (thumbs u

And the term "key" is what is thrown around the boards far too often, not "grail". A grail can be anything to anyone by its very definition.

-J.

13a7j2.jpg

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

Gotta agree here, this thread is about variant grails it doesn't encompass all modern grails. There are modem books that sell for more than the $1500 threshold for this thread that are not eligible for this thread. I think that's the issue with Jeromes meme.

Jim

13a7j2.jpg

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

You're right, it isn't the "manufactured rarity" or the fact that they sell for lots of money that makes them "grails"....

The fact that they are "earnestly pursued and/or sought after" by many, many collectors does. (thumbs u

And the term "key" is what is thrown around the boards far too often, not "grail". A grail can be anything to anyone by its very definition.

-J.

Then everything is a grail, which makes the word completely meaningless. :golfclap:

You still haven't come up with a reasonable explanation for why the Batman/Superman 4 isn't on your list.

13a7j2.jpg

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

Gotta agree here, this thread is about variant grails it doesn't encompass all modern grails. There are modem books that sell for more than the $1500 threshold for this thread that are not eligible for this thread. I think that's the issue with Jeromes meme.

Jim

This. This thread is for the high end books that sell for $1,500+, not to be watered down by books that sell for hundreds, not that they aren't great in their own right, just not fit for this thread.

I haven't heard about the Batman/Superman #4 issue you mentioned, can you fill me in on the deets?

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

13a7j2.jpg

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

-J.

Then everything is a grail, which makes the word completely meaningless. :golfclap:

You still haven't come up with a reasonable explanation for why the Batman/Superman 4 isn't on your list.

:gossip: Foreign REPRINT. The criteria as laid out in the first post states that reprints were not considered.

And as pleasing as the cover image is to the eye, even it is reprinted from an interior page from the English version.

Also, even if it were not a reprint and was considered, it has not consistently sold for enough in a 9.8 to qualify at this time anyway. The fact that it is also a foreign book may help it or it may hurt it. No one knows. But it is a variable not present with any of the other books, so it is not considered.

-J.

Jerome

(tsk)

-J.

Jerome

-J.

:gossip: Foreign REPRINT. The criteria as laid out in the first post states that reprints were not considered.

No, the criteria says that subsequent printings of issues are excluded ("First prints only"). The book is question is a first print Batman/Superman 4 from Panini.

And as pleasing as the cover image is to the eye, even it is reprinted from an interior page from the English version.

Also, even if it were not a reprint and was considered, it has not consistently sold for enough in a 9.8 to qualify at this time anyway. The fact that it is also a foreign book may help it or it may hurt it. No one knows. But it is a variable not present with any of the other books, so it is not considered.

-J.

meh

If CGC 9.8s are the only things that matter, please make a video where you burn most of your sig line. TIA.