• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
18 18

2,250 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2021 at 6:56 AM, World Devourer said:

Ah, my girlfriend Danger Girl. Her Ruby look is a drawcard for serious collectors/investors. 

The only non-Marvel issue in the Top 5, also includes ASM #667 and newcomer Silver Surfer Black #2 (Sketch).

The list obviously needs to be updated. Clone Wars #1 SE would be in there.

I would say at present the Top Five Modern Variants are:

5. Danger Girl #2 (Ruby Red)

4. Dark Knight III #1 (Jim Lee Sketch 5K edition)

3. Clone Wars #1 (Special Edition) (I think this one will eventually splutter and fade. 1,000 copies is a lot!)

2. Ultimate Fallout #4 (Djurdjevic Variant)

1. Amazing Spider-Man  #667 (Dell Otto Variant)

Just outside of course are ASM #678 (Venom Mary Jane) and Wolverine #1 (Deadpool), although the SS Black #2 (Sketch) is the one to watch. Only 25 copies and many not 9.8. Already worth $7K +.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:28 AM, World Devourer said:

I would say at present the Top Five Modern Variants are:

5. Danger Girl #2 (Ruby Red)

4. Dark Knight III #1 (Jim Lee Sketch 5K edition)

3. Clone Wars #1 (Special Edition) (I think this one will eventually splutter and fade. 1,000 copies is a lot!)

2. Ultimate Fallout #4 (Djurdjevic Variant)

1. Amazing Spider-Man  #667 (Dell Otto Variant)

Just outside of course are ASM #678 (Venom Mary Jane) and Wolverine #1 (Deadpool), although the SS Black #2 (Sketch) is the one to watch. Only 25 copies and many not 9.8. Already worth $7K +.

:shy: I've heard the list is coming for a while, yet it's nice to see some estimates, anytime!

On 2/8/2022 at 8:28 AM, World Devourer said:

It was May 2020, when it breached the 1k mark(9.8) and never looked back. In almost two years, it still only has 88 CGC 9.8's on the census.

That's insane, considering it's been a 10k+ book since last July.

On 2/10/2022 at 2:10 AM, I like pie said:

It was May 2020, when it breached the 1k mark(9.8) and never looked back. In almost two years, it still only has 88 CGC 9.8's on the census.

That's insane, considering it's been a 10k+ book since last July.

Indeed.

From 9.0 to 9.8, there are only 228 copies on the census. That's not even 25% of the 1,000.

If people are holding onto raw copies they will have to have them graded for any resale traction.

I must admit browsing through this discourse has been quite educational if not eye opening (:. Despite being immersed in pre-1974 comics for a very long time - I had no idea there was such a fruitful, thriving and profitable side to modern variants:shiftyeyes:  My only question is this IF a benefactor offered you for free either an AF15 blue label CGC 3.0 with say o/w pages (current value could be I don't know say 45K) or a group of those top 5 variants worth perhaps 65K FMV value now - and the catch was you had to hold it for at least 36 months before selling - which would you choose - the 45K AF15 or those 65K modern variants? :cheers:

Edited by Roger66

On 2/9/2022 at 7:09 PM, Roger66 said:

I must admit browsing through this discourse has been quite educational if not eye opening (:. Despite being immersed in pre-1974 comics for a very long time - I had no idea there was such a fruitful, thriving and profitable side to modern variants:shiftyeyes:  My only question is this IF a benefactor offered you for free either an AF15 blue label CGC 3.0 with say o/w pages (current value could be I don't know say 45K) or a group of those top 5 variants worth perhaps 65K FMV value now - and the catch was you had to hold it for at least 36 months before selling - which would you choose - the 45K AF15 or those 65K modern variants? :cheers:

I'd buy all the books.  Silly question :P

Not sure where this sits in the list but almost double last sale on GPA.

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmoon%2Bknight%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1562409

image.png

Edited by Max Carnage

On 5/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, Otter1775 said:

Currently listed on the bay:

F04DBF7F-EEB1-4934-A088-C4D8FC2D43B5.png

Must have been taken down. Isn't up now and isn't showing as sold(shrug) The 9.4 on Comic Link didn't fare well like pretty much everything else. $10,420. Down $3k from the last 9.4 sold 2-3 years ago. Almost everything went  down 25-35%.

On 5/16/2022 at 3:28 AM, Not A Clone said:

Must have been taken down. Isn't up now and isn't showing as sold(shrug) The 9.4 on Comic Link didn't fare well like pretty much everything else. $10,420. Down $3k from the last 9.4 sold 2-3 years ago. Almost everything went  down 25-35%.

The 9.4 selling for 13k, 3 years ago was a high outlier sale at the time, higher than even what a 9.6 sold for, and as such, is not a reasonable barometer.  

-J.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, Jaydogrules said:

The 9.4 selling for 13k, 3 years ago was a high outlier sale at the time, higher than even what a 9.6 sold for, and as such, is not a reasonable barometer.  

-J.

That book sells so rarely aren't they all outliers(:  Models had that 9.4 from 14-17k based on the 8.0 and the 9.8. Was considering selling my 9.4 to buy a collection I found. Makes my brain hurt lol.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:20 AM, Not A Clone said:

That book sells so rarely aren't they all outliers(:  Models had that 9.4 from 14-17k based on the 8.0 and the 9.8. Was considering selling my 9.4 to buy a collection I found. Makes my brain hurt lol.

It's hard to model books like that, there's usually some price compression in every grade below 9.8 and then a huge premium on the 9.8.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules