• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

One booth at NYCC had a 9.8 of the Dellotto variant of Amazing 667. Wasn't interested in buying, but was curious what he was asking for it. He took off his mask (because otherwise, he said, people would think they misheard because of the muffled speech), and told me 40K.

Just heard that torpedo comics bought it for $35k.

-J.

A modern variant that no one talks about nor very few collectors are aware of. ASM volume 5 #12 Shogo Aoki variant. This comic is a US copy that was a giveaway in Japan at “pop up” stores (i.e. in store stands) in a local Japan retail store. No copies on the census and is arguably one of the rarest modern variants out there. Glad to own one.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd78d04d74a48171847982f3d8a45b80.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a8f8b86e82ac1cd4483b4063a2d1c06.jpeg

On 11/21/2021 at 1:49 PM, LovetheLizard said:

A modern variant that no one talks about nor very few collectors are aware of. ASM volume 5 #12 Shogo Aoki variant. This comic is a US copy that was a giveaway in Japan at “pop up” stores (i.e. in store stands) in a local Japan retail store. No copies on the census and is arguably one of the rarest modern variants out there. Glad to own one.

These covers are awesome! 

-J.

On 11/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, LovetheLizard said:

What year was that released?

On 11/30/2021 at 7:58 AM, topcat54 said:

It might be a rare cover but seems to be not that valuable

https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/issue/amazing-spider-man-12-6,319052/

Those prices are a joke. There are ZERO copies on the census and I can confirm that one has sold in the 4 figure range. The reason that this book currently is not 5 figures is that no Spider-Man collector’s can get their hands on one.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:50 AM, valiantman said:

ASM #667 - if you're just collecting it for the story inside - will cost you about $5. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304163650737 (thumbsu

Expensive items in every collectibles market always have the potential to make future people laugh like looking back at $5,000+ beanie babies.  Is everyone sure these "Most Valuable Modern Variant" books aren't a future punchline?  I'm just not very confident in variant covers wrapped around "who cares" interiors either, when they get all the way up to new car prices.  This industry has always saved $20,000+ prices for old books with unmistakable key (first appearance) contents, or for really old books with amazing cover art and very few surviving.  New books, intentionally low printed, with unremarkable contents (no matter how attractive the cover art) just seem like shaky (and potentially humorous) reasons for that level of cost.  $200 variants and $20,000 variants are very different beanies.

So, is just a printed copy of some different artwork wrapped around and stapled to the outside of those $5 ASM #667 interior pages worth the additional price of a very decent car and more valuable than original art by the same artist?   Currently, it appears so.  Long-term? hm  

I am late to the party, but, you would rather have the 667 because of the rarity right? UF4 Variant is just meh, and at 170 on the census in 9.8.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy either.

I looked up a couple on 130point earlier too, and it didnt work. I remember its been mentioned that it happens from time to time that the whole site doesnt work.

Glad it's back up and running 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I hadn’t seen this thread before today. I both love the thread and am also kicking myself for selling my Batman #1 Sketch Variant! 

While that’s true, I am literally only replying because I don’t know how else to access the “follow topic” toggle on an individual thread. :facepalm:

On 12/9/2021 at 3:29 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Can't seem to find what this sold for on 130point for some reason.  

Anybody else have better luck ? (shrug)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125018328473?hash=item1d1bac4d99:g:l3gAAOSwSwphnm2E#vi__app-cvip-panel

-J.

Ah, my girlfriend Danger Girl. Her Ruby look is a drawcard for serious collectors/investors. 

The only non-Marvel issue in the Top 5, also includes ASM #667 and newcomer Silver Surfer Black #2 (Sketch).

Edited by World Devourer