• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel...

152 posts in this topic

if someone made an offer for a book you had in a sales thread, you agreed on a price, and before it was even paid for the book was listed on eBay for more than double the agreed on price? Please keep in mind I am not complaining about what they are asking, as I could have done the same thing, but the fact they are using my scan and could possibly sell a book before they completed the original transaction.

Out this azzclown

That goes beyond bad form

Right! That seems slimey to me. :P

+1

Out him ......................................................... :baiting:

What's so bad about it?

The only person that stands to lose here is the person who bought it from Joey if something happens to it before they receive it

And the scan thing, so the book is for sale, but the scan of it is yours forever?

You agreed to a deal, whatever that person does now is their business

Wait till they pay to ship it, beyond that, who cares IMO

The seller cares (Joey)

He hasn't been paid for the item and now the buyer is already selling it - what happens if the buyer doesn't have the money to pay for it the first place and is selling it on eBay hoping to cover the cost of purchase from Joey + making an early profit as well. Doesn't Joey have the right to sell to someone who has the funds on hand and not wait for this guy who is hedging his bet?

Joe has that right, certainly.

Joe should tell the buyer that the deal is off the table.

actually joeypost has not really said how he feels other than it is not sitting right by him. He WAS attacked by gophers as well at some point, but it may help him if he were to articulate how HE feels. Putting it into words may help define the issue better.

Stop telling us facts joeypost and tell us how you feel. Get in touch with your feelings bruddah!

I'm just waiting for the forum detectives to search some history, and post the offending purchase for all to see. :popcorn:

:whistle:

I'm getting the feeling the buyer will be along to post his/her side of things shortly......

So how about giving them the benefit of the doubt before publicly labeling them a tool?

There may very well be a set time limit between Joey and the buyer for payment that hasn't expired yet.

You are rushing to judgement without all the details.

No one is getting outed.

No time for payment, but technically I still own the book. If it sells on eBay would I be entitled to the full amount of the sale? Could I cancel the sale and still be justified in doing so?

I asked the question because it is not sitting right with me. Once the sale is completed and the book shipped, I don't care if the owner uses it as a Frisbee, but that is not yet the case here.

Refund the buyer, the book is still yours, as you noted.The buyer has no right to the book, given that the book is still in your posession and payment was issued within the past day.

By the way, anyone who wants to be really CAK'd by the CAK, , follow these instructions:

1)

PM me and I'll tell you what shows I have booked, for the rest of the year.

2)

Come by my table and I will give you a cold n frosty pint of Guinness, on me.No need to buy anything.

STIPULATION:

Said Guinness will be presented only after the boardie gives consent to be whacked upside the back of his noggin with one of my double Gerber full backed Mylite2's.

3)

Down the Guinness in one gulp and get ready for a beating, faciliatated with a premiere, CAK quality Mylite2 double sheathed, doubleGerber Full Backed combo.

4)

Don't forget to say please and thank you.

I no longer am offering pressing tutorials, please accept my heartfelt apologies. lol

actually joeypost has not really said how he feels other than it is not sitting right by him. He WAS attacked by gophers as well at some point, but it may help him if he were to articulate how HE feels. Putting it into words may help define the issue better.

Stop telling us facts joeypost and tell us how you feel. Get in touch with your feelings bruddah!

The main reason I created the thread was to get others feelings, as it did not sit right with me. It was not a witch hunt, I just wanted to see if my feelings on it were in line with those of others.

selling before? sketchy.

getting undercut? not really. could've sold it for that.

using your scan? tacky, could've asked (slightly less tacky, but still tacky)

telling you they're going to resell? unneeded.

the digital flip? leaves a slightly sour taste in my mouth. but sour tastes can be sweet to some.

I don't know why people always say everyone is a flipper. There are still lots of us that just collect.

I think most of us kind of fall into both camps. I flip books to pay for ones I want more or to get rid of dupes. I didn't mean to make flippers sound bad. I just think a little time between purchase and sale is a wise move for many reasons.You certainly need to have it in hand before you try to sell it to some one else.

I wouldn't want to use someone else's scans when trying to sell a book; especially if I were flipping it. It gives the next buyer a tool to track down the previous sale and what the book sold for.

Using someone else's scans, especially if it's a slabbed book is so commonplace in the hobby that I have no problem with it. I have buyers asking me for scans of the books after purchase. I only assume that if they choose to sell they are going to use those scans and I don't give a hoot about it.

I also regularly see boardies posting books from their collections using various scan and photograph methods...menaing one boardie might have a dozen different types of pics. Since no two scans are alike for those collectors, I just assume that they've copied those pics from when they bought the books from another seller. They also use them when they sell those books. Again, to me no harm, no foul.

selling before? sketchy.

For the most part, agreed. There are always exceptions to everything but generally speaking, yes.

One thing I will add though, is that in some circles reselling a book before it's paid for is commonplace among some sellers, especially on the con show floor.

For example, there are some dealers that will buy books with the known intention of not only reselling them (why else would a dealer buy a book) but also paying for them after the show has started (or at show's end). But this sort of thing is almost always agreed upon when the book is purchased.

I do agree that it's tacky to put a book up on eBay before you've even paid for it.

The main reason I created the thread was to get others feelings, as it did not sit right with me. It was not a witch hunt, I just wanted to see if my feelings on it were in line with those of others.

And you knew it would be good fodder for the masses. ;)

I'm just waiting for the forum detectives to search some history, and post the offending purchase for all to see. :popcorn:

:whistle:

I'm getting the feeling the buyer will be along to post his/her side of things shortly......

So how about giving them the benefit of the doubt before publicly labeling them a tool?

There may very well be a set time limit between Joey and the buyer for payment that hasn't expired yet.

You are rushing to judgement without all the details.

No one is getting outed.

No time for payment, but technically I still own the book. If it sells on eBay would I be entitled to the full amount of the sale? Could I cancel the sale and still be justified in doing so?

I asked the question because it is not sitting right with me. Once the sale is completed and the book shipped, I don't care if the owner uses it as a Frisbee, but that is not yet the case here.

Refund the buyer, the book is still yours, as you noted.The buyer has no right to the book, given that the book is still in your posession and payment was issued within the past day.

By the way, anyone who wants to be really CAK'd by the CAK, , follow these instructions:

1)

PM me and I'll tell you what shows I have booked, for the rest of the year.

2)

Come by my table and I will give you a cold n frosty pint of Guinness, on me.No need to buy anything.

STIPULATION:

Said Guinness will be presented only after the boardie gives consent to be whacked upside the back of his noggin with one of my double Gerber full backed Mylite2's.

3)

Down the Guinness in one gulp and get ready for a beating, faciliatated with a premiere, CAK quality Mylite2 double sheathed, doubleGerber Full Backed combo.

4)

Don't forget to say please and thank you.

I no longer am offering pressing tutorials, please accept my heartfelt apologies. lol

Drink Guinness cold and frosty? (tsk)

As others have said, the only issue that I see is the book was listed on ebay BEFORE the seller was paid.

Once the book is paid for then the buyer can do with it as he sees fit.

not necessarily a 'best business practice', but not a moral quandary or anything, he assumes the risk.

But I would still say if the book is in transit, he should disclose to any potential buyers...but I don't think is obligated to.

To answer the OP, I think I would feel taken advantage of. But since selling here on the boards generally entails selling for less than top dollar, leaving some meat on the bone sop to speak, I might also feel that my goal of giving a good deal was achieved and upon examination I might actually target the ebay seller as a potential long term customer. I would also watch that ebay auction and decide to adjust how much meat I leave this person without feeling boned in the process.

And you knew it would be good fodder for the masses. ;)

You know this place, it is always a side effect.