• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2021 at 10:49 AM, GeneticNinja said:

I've been watching the Skystriker project. Some points:

1. It should be sold in stores. No reason for this not to be on store shelves.

2. It's too much. At most it should be $100 or so. One of you guys mentioned the price of the original back in the day. The video below even points out that with the Skystriker and other projects, they include free figures at the end to help push it over the backer number. So they are making a vast profit and can't even include those extra items like Scarlett from the beginning.

3. It sets a bad precedent for future vehicles.

I wish it didn't succeed. It seems like a few thousand people were waiting till the last day.

I'm not fond of Kickstarters. I only did a few and stopped as most of those projects were eventually released to stores. But I don't know about these Hasbro projects. And I really dislike it when big successful companies do a Kickstarter type project. But now Hasbro sees how much they can over charge and collect interest on money from a select group of people.

I would be shocked if they made The Flagg. It would be like $1500+ through their Kickstarter / Haslab. I remember one of you guys getting me with an April Fool's joke for The Flagg some years ago. I wanted a Resolute line with the Flagg. But the people running Hasbro are only interested in making a large profit off a small amount of collectors it seems and going on youtube to pander to those people.

It really sucks. I would have purchased a few of these if they were around $100 with all the figures in stores. I'm not giving a big company $230 and waiting till mid 2023.

This is the video that makes some good points about Hasbro and their projects.

1. Well, are retailers going to be interested in a product that caters to a dead scale, that has no other support at retail for cross-sell/upsell opportunity? On a property that's been dead for years, at that, and is just now experiencing a comeback, albeit in a different scale, rendering prior collections moot. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

Woke up to find we got Ripcord too! Crazy, to have gone from "not gonna make it" to "blasting through the first two tiers" in the space of a day. We came within, what, 1500, of getting the flight crew (or as I've seen them called on FB, "Ketchup and Mustard") so I'm really hoping they're offered separately at some point, as they were the pieces I wanted most of all.

I feel much better about backing it since we're now getting 7 figures with the set. It may just be mental gymnastics/justification, but it looks like Hasbro will be valuing o-rings at $20 a pop (based on the Snake/Stormy two pack) so it's sorta like we got $140 worth of figures, and $100 for the jet itself. Whatever helps me sleep at night, I guess.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:18 AM, F For Fake said:

Woke up to find we got Ripcord too! Crazy, to have gone from "not gonna make it" to "blasting through the first two tiers" in the space of a day. We came within, what, 1500, of getting the flight crew (or as I've seen them called on FB, "Ketchup and Mustard") so I'm really hoping they're offered separately at some point, as they were the pieces I wanted most of all.

I feel much better about backing it since we're now getting 7 figures with the set. It may just be mental gymnastics/justification, but it looks like Hasbro will be valuing o-rings at $20 a pop (based on the Snake/Stormy two pack) so it's sorta like we got $140 worth of figures, and $100 for the jet itself. Whatever helps me sleep at night, I guess.

I was on the fence too. I’m trying to only do vintage nowadays, but the stand and effects are way cool. I think the extra figs sold me. I’m excited about the night force ripcord and Mickey Mouse commander. Too bad they couldn’t extend it for the flight crew.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I was on the fence too. I’m trying to only do vintage nowadays, but the stand and effects are way cool. I think the extra figs sold me. I’m excited about the night force ripcord and Mickey Mouse commander. Too bad they couldn’t extend it for the flight crew.

I took the other path. $250 more for older MOC goodness (doesn't go as far as it used to though so I think I need to keep saving lol).

On 12/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, wombat said:

May be a meme of text that says 'Sales assistant All these action figures are cool your children are going to have a great Christmas. Me:'

This was literally me at Target the other night. Girl brings out the bags (I usually do drive up), and says "Oh, getting some Christmas shopping done?"

"...Yes. Yes, that's what I'm doing."

That is not what I was doing.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, 707comics said:

I took the other path. $250 more for older MOC goodness (doesn't go as far as it used to though so I think I need to keep saving lol).

I get that, totally. I go back and forth. Several times I've sold off most of my modern stuff so I can pursue more vintage. But then I start seeing some new stuff that is too cool to turn away from, and suddenly I'm buying up new toys again. It's a vicious cycle. The Haslab was a chunk of change, and I wasn't super excited about it, but knowing how these things go, I thought it best to go ahead and grab it now. These Haslab things tend to explode in price on the secondary market, so I thought it better to spend the $250 now and not regret missing out later. Even if it's just so I can sell it.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:20 AM, F For Fake said:

I get that, totally. I go back and forth. Several times I've sold off most of my modern stuff so I can pursue more vintage. But then I start seeing some new stuff that is too cool to turn away from, and suddenly I'm buying up new toys again. It's a vicious cycle. The Haslab was a chunk of change, and I wasn't super excited about it, but knowing how these things go, I thought it best to go ahead and grab it now. These Haslab things tend to explode in price on the secondary market, so I thought it better to spend the $250 now and not regret missing out later. Even if it's just so I can sell it.

That was exactly the thought process I had myself. I kept thinking if I even kind of want it I should grab it now because finding one (or any of the loose figures) will set me back big bucks in the future. Personally, I am saving for a cobra ninja viper (with swords) so I figure it was just best to stay the course. The choices us toy collectors face :) 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, 707comics said:

That was exactly the thought process I had myself. I kept thinking if I even kind of want it I should grab it now because finding one (or any of the loose figures) will set me back big bucks in the future. Personally, I am saving for a cobra ninja viper (with swords) so I figure it was just best to stay the course. The choices us toy collectors face :) 

The great truth of collecting is that there is always much more cool stuff than there is money, at least for me!

On 12/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, 707comics said:

@PeteFromPetesBasement Still have one for sale? 

On 12/9/2021 at 8:20 AM, F For Fake said:

Ha, I have been the opposite in many cases.   There has been a lot of modern stuff that was just plain sweet in comparison to some of the older stuff.

Well this is interesting... 

Rumor is that IDW is about to lose the GI Joe Comic license.  

I wonder if Hasbro would do a deal with Marvel again.

I also wonder if they would restart the numbering in the "Marvel" GI Joe Universe or adopt Hama's continuation of the series from 155 to whenever the license ends and then carry on with it there. 

If true, I wonder if that means anything for the toys. 

NOW I feel my vintage Star Wars Collection is complete. 

https://www.thefansstrikeback.com/

They are running a discount promo of 20% off if you use the code, "facebook".

I have been following SmithLord Creations for a while and everyone seems to be happy except the anti-repro guys.  I shrug it off and felt that Hasbro / Disney is not going to offer a Slave Leia figure in a Vintage Design.  That is a longshot and something that the Haslab section could really concentrate on by making sets of figures that fans have wanted.

So... 

As I sell a bunch of things off I have wanted to complete certain gaps I felt were in the original Star Wars collection especially as @Poekaymon asked me a question the other day about something that had me take a look at my vintage figures again. 

So, yeah, now I feel the collection is complete... 

I thought about buying their version of Wedge but it was pretty much the same Luke Pilot but with a different paint app on the helmet.   Each of these cost $40 after the discount.  Couldn't see spending that on a paint change. 

IMG_0492.png

IMG_7600.png

On 12/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

Well this is interesting... 

Rumor is that IDW is about to lose the GI Joe Comic license.  

I wonder if Hasbro would do a deal with Marvel again.

I also wonder if they would restart the numbering in the "Marvel" GI Joe Universe or adopt Hama's continuation of the series from 155 to whenever the license ends and then carry on with it there. 

If true, I wonder if that means anything for the toys. 

They're also rumoured to be losing Transformers. That's been going around for quite awhile, so now to hear about Joe, well, it all makes sense. I can only assume their other properties are also on the line, like My Little Pony, but that one's a bit of a different kettle of fish. 

I wonder if they'll go to Boom, where Power Rangers has done really well, which Hasbro now owns, or somewhere bigger.