• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,325 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2021 at 6:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ha, I have been the opposite in many cases.   There has been a lot of modern stuff that was just plain sweet in comparison to some of the older stuff.

I get it. The modern stuff gets much more of a "oh, coooool!" reaction out of me. But the vintage stuff is what tugs at the heartstrings/nostalgia. From a sculpt/design/playability standpoint, there are some amazing things going on with modern figures. But it's the older, simpler stuff that gives me that Christmas morning feeling. So, I'm torn.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

Well this is interesting... 

Rumor is that IDW is about to lose the GI Joe Comic license.  

I wonder if Hasbro would do a deal with Marvel again.

I also wonder if they would restart the numbering in the "Marvel" GI Joe Universe or adopt Hama's continuation of the series from 155 to whenever the license ends and then carry on with it there. 

If true, I wonder if that means anything for the toys. 

Well, it's already announced that IDW has lost the juvenile Star Wars titles, which are returning to Dark Horse (Marvel will keep publishing the "mainstream" SW stuff). So, with that relationship already in place for licensed material, I'd say the top contenders would be Dark Horse or Marvel. If Marvel wants it, seems like they could have it. But if they don't, I'd think Dark Horse would get it, since the SW connection is already made. I'd expect Transformers will follow Joe to wherever it ultimately lands.

IDW is about to be left with TMNT and...not much else.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:48 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

They're also rumoured to be losing Transformers. That's been going around for quite awhile, so now to hear about Joe, well, it all makes sense. I can only assume their other properties are also on the line, like My Little Pony, but that one's a bit of a different kettle of fish. 

I wonder if they'll go to Boom, where Power Rangers has done really well, which Hasbro now owns, or somewhere bigger. 

Boom would also make sense. If the Dark Horse/Star Wars thing hadn't already gone down, they'd be my #1 prediction. So I'd say they'd have to be in the mix, regardless.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, F For Fake said:

Boom would also make sense. If the Dark Horse/Star Wars thing hadn't already gone down, they'd be my #1 prediction. So I'd say they'd have to be in the mix, regardless.

Hasbro has often indicated and demonstrated through their business decisions that they wanted their own Disney / Marvel / Star Wars synergy.   I wonder if Hasbro would try to buy a publisher and produce it in-house. 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:48 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

They're also rumoured to be losing Transformers. That's been going around for quite awhile, so now to hear about Joe, well, it all makes sense. I can only assume their other properties are also on the line, like My Little Pony, but that one's a bit of a different kettle of fish. 

I wonder if they'll go to Boom, where Power Rangers has done really well, which Hasbro now owns, or somewhere bigger. 

Definitely disappointing.  I thought that IDW manages the Joe and Transformers properties exceptionally well. 

Hasbro has even gone so far as to base toys off of IDW interpretations of transformers characters years after they debuted in the comics. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/11/2021 at 6:28 AM, Buzzetta said:

Definitely disappointing.  I thought that IDW manages the Joe and Transformers properties exceptionally well. 

Hasbro has even gone so far as to base toys off of IDW interpretations of transformers characters years after they debuted in the comics. 

The current IDW TF comics are awful. Ever since the reboot it's been pretty dire. I don't think there's anything from the current material Hasbro will be mining. 

On 12/10/2021 at 3:24 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 12/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, The Meta said:

I still want a HasLabs Unicron, but I'm not paying ebay 2k for it

If it makes you feel better I thought it was overpriced at the initial offering. 

I don't enjoy Transformers, but the intricate design of how they transform leaves me unable to assign a price to them.  I know there have been other very large Transformers before, so how did he compare to those, any fans have a feel?  $575 seemed high to me as well, but I couldn't rule out that the design complexity warranted the price, but I don't have a feel for what other past large Transformers cost to compare it to.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:49 AM, fantastic_four said:

I don't enjoy Transformers, but the intricate design of how they transform leaves me unable to assign a price to them.  I know there have been other very large Transformers before, so how did he compare to those, any fans have a feel?  $575 seemed high to me as well, but I couldn't rule out that the design complexity warranted the price, but I don't have a feel for what other past large Transformers cost to compare it to.

Personally to me?  He was a shell former.  Many of Unicrons "planet" parts peel back and fold up to reveal the inner robot so I did not see the design to be as intricate as some masterpiece transformers.  There were many steps but I did not view it as worth the price tag. 

The other thing was that Transformers is essentially a Hasbro property.  Sure, they share it with Takara / Tomy but it is not a licensed property like Star Wars.   Unicron was the second Haslab product and after the barge which cost $500 it seemed to be quite a jump in price considering fans knew that a lot of that $500 for the barge was because it was a licensed product.

As an in house product, Unicron could have been much less.

By that reasoning, one could easily point out the same argument about the Skystriker and that I should have walked away from that one too.  However, I jumped in at the last minute basing those seven figures to be valued at $20 each which is the price in the Hasbro Pulse shop for Stormshadow and Snake Eyes.  That put the figures at around $140 leaving the Skystriker at $100 which I found reasonable given the size and accuracy of the design.

I forget who was making an authentic 1:18 F-14 but I remember the price tag was around $125 and it had sold out commanding a higher price on the secondary market so all things considered, I felt the Skystriker was reasonable after it hit the second bonus add on and with the inclusion of the Cobra figures. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, Buzzetta said:

Many of Unicrons "planet" parts peel back and fold up to reveal the inner robot so I did not see the design to be as intricate as some masterpiece transformers.  There were many steps but I did not view it as worth the price tag. 

What masterpiece Transformers do you have in mind that of a similar size and complexity to Unicron?

On 12/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, fantastic_four said:

What masterpiece Transformers do you have in mind that of a similar size and complexity to Unicron?

I think the smaller size Masterpiece Transformers have shown more ingenuity due to transformation sequences that must be accomplished at a smaller scale.   Those transformation parts have to achieve both functionality and durability at that smaller size which is often easier to accomplish at a large scale. 

Think of it like a hand with articulated fingers.  That is far easier to accomplish on something like a Sentinel or Galactus than a marvel legends figure.  

The one that immediately comes to mind that impressed me more than Unicron was the latest MP Optimus Prime.  The transformation sequence at the reduced scale seems far superior and more creative in terms of engineering than what went into Unicron... at least from my perspective. 

I do not have that Transformer in hand though. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, Buzzetta said:

I think the smaller size Masterpiece Transformers have shown more ingenuity due to transformation sequences that must be accomplished at a smaller scale.

I see a bunch of different Masterpiece Optimus Primes when I search.  Do you mean this one?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/84183

On 12/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, fantastic_four said:

I see a bunch of different Masterpiece Optimus Primes when I search.  Do you mean this one?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/84183

Yes.  

Also, Unicron was not produced as a Masterpiece Transformer but as the largest scale mainline figure or as much of a mainline figure that a Haslab project can be. 

On 12/11/2021 at 5:58 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

The current IDW TF comics are awful. Ever since the reboot it's been pretty dire. I don't think there's anything from the current material Hasbro will be mining. 

The Phase 2 TF books (More than Meets the Eye, Robots in Disguise, Lost Light etc) and the Cobra/Last Laugh/Coil GI Joe books are some of my favorite comics of all time. Ever. They were firing on all cylinders then. After that…yeah, not so good. But when they were great, they were really great, and yes I do love the Thrilling 30 TF stuff that Hasbro did with the IDW designs.  Very cool stuff.

Anyone else know what this is?  I do, but testing some knowledge.

Only 10 bucks!  I was stunned.  The chrome is near perfect.  I'm pretty sure if wasn't played with.  

Missing the 3rd upper half and claws.  

I've never run across one in wild, even in terrible condition.

Patrick

20211211_193359.jpg

20211211_193336.jpg

20211211_193321.jpg

20211211_193519.jpg