• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,333 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 10:13 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I just don't understand how Hasbro consistently sells out of preorders online in under an hour. 

If you mean via their Hasbro Pulse web site it's because they specifically limit their pre-order inventory on mass retail releases so as not to over-compete with their retail customers too much.  They also tend to ship items via Pulse last or close to last behind most of their retail customers, which again I assume is so they are a very minor competitor with their customers.  Because of all that I tend to never order from Pulse, although I do buy exclusives from there since there's no choice.

The main time you won't see items sell out on Pulse is if it's a Hasbro Pulse exclusive or a release that's similarly limited, i.e. figures that are exclusive to Hasbro Pulse and the Disney Store web site ( https://www.shopdisney.com ).

On 1/27/2023 at 9:16 AM, fantastic_four said:

What is FactSet?  I don't get what their revenue estimates are implying--with their higher-than-Hasbro-reported estimate are they saying that they (and other companies) are under-reporting revenues whenever their estimates are higher than the company reports?

My brother works for FactSet. They are a financial data and analytical software company. 

On 1/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, fantastic_four said:

If you mean via their Hasbro Pulse web site it's because they specifically limit their pre-order inventory on mass retail releases so as not to over-compete with their retail customers too much.  They also tend to ship items via Pulse last or close to last behind most of their retail customers, which again I assume is so they are a very minor competitor with their customers.  Because of all that I tend to never order from Pulse, although I do buy exclusives from there since there's no choice.

The main time you won't see items sell out on Pulse is if it's a Hasbro Pulse exclusive or a release that's similarly limited, i.e. figures that are exclusive to Hasbro Pulse and the Disney Store web site ( https://www.shopdisney.com ).

That's all well and good, but then I never see most of the stuff appear on retail shelves or at other online retailers, either.  Maybe I just have bad luck.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, Gonzimodo said:

That's all well and good, but then I never see most of the stuff appear on retail shelves or at other online retailers, either.  Maybe I just have bad luck.

I've never missed anything, but I'm hardcore so I've figured out how to achieve that.  What's the last figure you had that problem with?  I can give general recommendations, and certainly anything that's really popular can be tough to get.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:26 PM, fantastic_four said:

I've never missed anything, but I'm hardcore so I've figured out how to achieve that.  What's the last figure you had that problem with?  I can give general recommendations, and certainly anything that's really popular can be tough to get.

I think that's my problem - I'm just not hardcore enough to dedicate the time and jump online when things first go on sale, and I'm too cheap to become a Pulse Insider or whatever.  The most recent things that come to mind are the Classified Dr. Mindbender and Serpentor.  I don't know if they'll come back in stock at some point or if I'll ever see them at retail.  I'll just keep checking and hope I get lucky.

It's all good, though.  I'm just whining at this point.  :violin:

On 1/27/2023 at 3:36 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I think that's my problem - I'm just not hardcore enough to dedicate the time and jump online when things first go on sale, and I'm too cheap to become a Pulse Insider or whatever.  The most recent things that come to mind are the Classified Dr. Mindbender and Serpentor.  I don't know if they'll come back in stock at some point or if I'll ever see them at retail.  I'll just keep checking and hope I get lucky.

Pulse Premium is generally not worth it.  I had it when it was free in 2019/2020, but the only benefit it gave me was free shipping.  Enough retailers already have that such that it isn't much advantage to me.  You get to order an hour before non-members, but it doesn't appear there are enough Pulse Premium members for that to matter much, and I have yet to hear of an exclusive selling out during the Pulse Premium exclusive purchasing period since they started it in 2021.  They may find a unique reason for me to subscribe to it, but they haven't yet.

You weren't likely to get either of those unless you ordered within minutes of when they went live.  Mindbender was a con exclusive; not sure which con but SDCC I think.  Those have always been limited and always sold out incredibly fast for popular figures.  I don't know how they were offering Serpentor, but I did notice he sold out almost immediately.  Not sure if that was an intentionally-limited release like the con exclusives, but if it wasn't they may release more batches over the next few months.  I don't follow Classified Series release much so I may not see when they re-issue it, but if I do I'll post here.

I bet they re-release both of those, just not in the specific decos they did in 2022.  Hasbro loves money, so whenever something sells out fast they usually can't wait to re-release it with new deco.  Not sure we'll get the Serpentor vehicle anytime soon, and while I'm unfamiliar with the character I'm guessing that's half of what everyone wants.

Edited by fantastic_four

Pulse did a restock of Mindbender and Serpentor back at the end of October. They sold out again pretty quickly, but I managed to get my order in that time, and I'm not a Premium member. At any rate, I'd be surprised if they offered them a third time, though it's possible you'll get versions of them single card/box without the accessories. In fact, it's likely, as Hasbro never met a mold they wouldn't beat to death.

Edited by F For Fake

On 1/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, F For Fake said:

Pulse did a restock of Mindbender and Serpentor back at the end of October. They sold out again pretty quickly, but I managed to get my order in that time, and I'm not a Premium member. At any rate, I'd be surprised if they offered them a third time, though it's possible you'll get versions of them single card/box without the accessories. In fact, it's likely, as Hasbro never met a mold they wouldn't beat to death.

Gamstop.ca got Serpentor in about a week ago I noticed.  I have also seen Mindbender in gamestop stores up here in Canada in the last month.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:13 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I live in a major(ish) metropolitan area with multiple Walmarts, and the only Classified figures I can ever find are the ones from the Snake Eyes movie that nobody wants and the "retro carded" Lady Jaye and Baroness. I can't even order the "retro carded" Storm Shadow online from their website or from Hasbro's.

I just don't understand how Hasbro consistently sells out of preorders online in under an hour.  I understand that their initial order from their factories is only a certain amount, but if there is a clear demand for something, just increase the order.  (shrug)  They're missing out on a lot sales that way.

So the market gets flooded with the minor characters and movie figures that nobody wants, but you can't get your hands on the popular characters and troop builders to save your life.  Stores then see tons of unsold figures warming the pegs (Anyone want an Akiko or the most boring Storm Shadow figure ever made...?) and don't order any of the new stuff when it comes out.  You'd think they'd have a decent handle on appropriate production numbers after years of this.  Hasbro am smart. :insane:

Lol that movie Storm Shadow I see constantly at Gamestop Canada for $14.99 constantly.  I am waiting for it to be $9.99 cdn then I will buy it lol.

Edited by whisp

I see Serpentor at a British retailer:  https://www.robotkingdom.com/f41405s00.html

I'm sure the shipping from Britain could be brutal.

I also see a bunch of Serpentors on Aliexpress at semi-reasonable prices.  Seems too fast for them to have reverse-engineered the molds on Serpentor so they may be legit.

Quick shot of my Crow figure.  Really love how this guy turned out.  I usually hate cloth goods in the twelfth scale, but when they're minimally used as they mostly are on this figure and when the stitching isn't visible then it can definitely work.

AMWts8CSwM_qJcA6B6Rq8ogjYwKrudMEVfdjctV0

On 1/30/2023 at 2:08 AM, fantastic_four said:

Quick shot of my Crow figure.  Really love how this guy turned out.  I usually hate cloth goods in the twelfth scale, but when they're minimally used as they mostly are on this figure and when the stitching isn't visible then it can definitely work.

AMWts8CSwM_qJcA6B6Rq8ogjYwKrudMEVfdjctV0

Mezco has got it down, for the most part, which amazes me, with their One:12 line. Properly fitting 1/12 clothing? Holy :censored:. And besides the occasional saggy crotch, which they've mostly got a handle on now, it's seamlessly done (pun not intended). It's not as a fine stitching as Hot Toys, but that shouldn't diminish it. 

Got the S.H. Figuarts Venom from "Let Their Be Carnage" in today.  Definitely the best Venom ever made in the 1:12 scale.  :cloud9:  I've never bought Figuarts before now because they strive to be a true 1:12 scale which is a bit smaller than Marvel Legends or Mafex, but Venom here is bigger than average anyway so he scales perfectly with the other lines and is even slightly bigger than the Marvel Legends Sony Venom figure.  That Legends Sony Venom was a top five figure in 2020 when it came out, but this one is a definite upgrade to that excellent sculpt Hasbro did.

Their forthcoming S. H. Figuarts Carnage later this year also looks incredible with four of the back tendrils that Venom only has two of, plus the four Carnage tendrils have the weapons on them that Kletus Cassady is known to form Carnage into.

AMWts8CNGQe_NBs_UbAF9T2al9AKrBmMQ4u5aviV