• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Normal for the Registry?

1 post in this topic

So I've been collecting CGC-graded books for awhile now... My collection is not huge, but I have a couple of hundred books, and I thought it would be fun to start to take part in the registry.

I started four sets (three for some of my favourite cover artists, one for DC Whitman variants), and I was surprised by what happened...

I was looking to enter 41 books across the four sets, and the results were as follows:

-31 books were accepted

-10 were not accepted (a whopping 24%!)

I was pretty surprised at the substantial number of problems in such a small sample.

Of the 10 problem books:

-5 were not listed in the sets... these were books that were typically 2-4 years old, by specific artists, and had not yet been added to sets

-1 was identified as belonging to someone else in the registry

-4 were rejected by the system as not eligible

Of the 4 rejected books, 2 were eventually accepted and added. Of the remaining two, 1 is mislabelled (e.g. not identified as a Whitman on the label, despite the big W on the cover where the DC logo should be), and 1 (a variant by one of the cover artists) appears to be properly labelled, but seems to be some kind of mistake in the CGC database.

CGC has suggested sending these latter 2 books back for reholdering, but I'm located outside the US, so this adds a layer of complexity.

I guess my basic question, if anyone can offer insight, is whether this is typical of the registry process or not? If it's always like this - nearly 1/4 of the books being problematic - I'm not sure I'd want to stick with it. It also might say a lot about quality control issues...

On the other hand, maybe it's just beginner's luck, and it will get easier from here. Any thoughts or advice?