• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,486 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, patman2011 said:

Went to a local con and found this book for only the second time ever.  Found one about 3 years ago and sold way too low before I even knew how scarce it was so I am not making that mistake again.  Gonna clean and press it and see how she does at CGC. 

20210522_161028.jpg

Is it an Adam Hughes cover?

Patrick

Yes it is Adam Hughes.  It's a 1:10 variant which does not sound like much but the estimate uncharted 1 only had a print run of 7 to 8 thousand only so you can do the math and see just how rare this is.  It hardly ever comes up on ebay either.  

54 minutes ago, patman2011 said:

Yes it is Adam Hughes.  It's a 1:10 variant which does not sound like much but the estimate uncharted 1 only had a print run of 7 to 8 thousand only so you can do the math and see just how rare this is.  It hardly ever comes up on ebay either.  

I'll buy it for 10 dollars. 

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
22 hours ago, patman2011 said:

Correction.  I just looked at comichron and issue 1 of uncharted had a print run of 6171.  

Correction. Comichron's monthly charts don't contain print runs and 1:10 is only an ordering ratio.

Give it a rest. We all knows its not an accurate number just a estimated guess.

All he is saying is the variant is hard to find and it is. I have looked forever and never 
found a copy.

36 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Give it a rest. We all knows its not an accurate number just a estimated guess.

Really? I guess "all" doesn't include patman2011 who seems to think it's a print run? (shrug) Just because you know something doesn't mean everybody else does.

36 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

All he is saying is the variant is hard to find and it is. I have looked forever and never 
found a copy.

Gee, a variant is hard to find! Okay, everybody, let's flood this thread with variants! I'm sure we can at least double the current page count.

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Really? I guess "all" doesn't include patman2011 who seems to think it's a print run? (shrug) Just because you know something doesn't mean everybody else does.

Gee, a variant is hard to find! Okay, everybody, let's flood this thread with variants! I'm sure we can at least double the current page count.

Thank you fastball.  I am well aware that comichron is an estimate of the print run.  I didn't realize I had to put a disclaimer on it as I figure most guys know that as common knowledge.  Ok.  By comichron "estimation" this book has "roughly" 600 to 700 copies which in my book makes it a book that is tough to find in the wild which I thought was the name of this thread.  Now I remember why I don't use these boards very often.  Carry on.  Nothing to see here.

2 hours ago, patman2011 said:

I am well aware that comichron is an estimate of the print run.

Apparently not, since the Comichron numbers are estimates of North American direct market distribution (in that month), not print runs.

2 hours ago, patman2011 said:

By comichron "estimation" this book has "roughly" 600 to 700 copies

Again, that's not how it works. There is no way to know how many copies exist of a variant unless that information is released by somebody who has it.

8 hours ago, patman2011 said:
22 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Thank you fastball.  I am well aware that comichron is an estimate of the print run.  I didn't realize I had to put a disclaimer on it as I figure most guys know that as common knowledge.  Ok.  By comichron "estimation" this book has "roughly" 600 to 700 copies which in my book makes it a book that is tough to find in the wild which I thought was the name of this thread.  Now I remember why I don't use these boards very often.  Carry on.  Nothing to see here.

In Lazyboy's defense he is right about one thing. If you go back the start of the thread this thread isn't about variants.

That being said occasionally I can completely understand the need it is a very difficult to find book that has been out for 10 years now. 
Ive suggested a variant hard to find thread for awhile, but nobody has started one.

9 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
12 hours ago, patman2011 said:

I am well aware that comichron is an estimate of the print run.

Apparently not, since the Comichron numbers are estimates of North American direct market distribution (in that month), not print runs.

By comichron "estimation" this book has "roughly" 600 to 700 copies

Again, that's not how it works. There is no way to know how many copies exist of a variant unless that information is released by somebody who has it.

You can stop rubbing his face in it. He gets it we all get it. 

Edited by fastballspecial

10 minutes ago, paqart said:

A long time ago, back in the 1970's, I put a note on a grocery store bulletin board that read, "Wanted: comics. Will buy any amount". I was thirteen at the time and didn't have any money. I knew, however, I could get the money I needed if the comics were valuable enough. 

I got a call a few days later. A man had some comics to look at. I rode out to his place on my bicycle. He opened his garage, revealing about a hundred boxes full of comics. His brother had owned a newsstand but had been sent to jail. Now, he wanted to sell the comics for cash. Most of them were uninteresting to me, though today they would be quite valuable. All were mint, sitting in mostly never opened distributor boxes. They covered approximately the time period 1967-1971 or so. 

Because I didn't want most of them, I made a deal for the ones I wanted, $200 for one box of comics (200 comics to a box), but I got to select what went in the box. I filled it with multiple mint copies of many Neal Adams Detective and Batman comics, Wrightson Swamp Things, and multiples of the comics attached here.

Aquaman 01.jpg

sub-mariner 01.jpg

Iron Man and sub-mariner 01.jpg

Iron Man 01.jpg

Man FF 49 and that trilogy would be some hum dingers too, like what you did get!

Still own any? Or did I miss that....

Love the effort! :x

Happy 4th weekend!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM