• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, sonicdan said:

Nice! I own a page of art from this book but still don't have a copy of of it in my GI Joe comic collection yet. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1490495

gGtqdR4s_1810211909271sbpi.jpg

It's an interesting one-shot that has a McFarlane homage cover not by him but with his interiors penciling an earlier GI Joe comic

Edited by littledoom

I'm still waiting on newsstand editions of Catwoman (2002) #1, 3, and most issues after #42-83. I've never seen the #1 or #3 anywhere, wild or otherwise, and have only seen two newsstands between issues 42-83.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, paqart said:

I'm still waiting on newsstand editions of Catwoman (2002) #1, 3, and most issues after #42-83. I've never seen the #1 or #3 anywhere, wild or otherwise, and have only seen two newsstands between issues 42-83.

Like I said before, when I was actively buying from the newsstands during the 2000's I rarely saw any C or D lister titles. It was usually just the big boys for both Marvel & DC.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Like I said before, when I was actively buying from the newsstands during the 2000's I rarely saw any C or D lister titles. It was usually just the big boys for both Marvel & DC.

I still find it peculiar that issues 2 and 4-42 can be found in about the same numbers as other newsstands from the period with similar order numbers. It is strange that DC would make newsstand editions of 2 and 4 but not 1 and 3. The same goes for Jonah Hex (2007). I have a couple of later issues in newsstand but none of the Cooke cover issues I want. I've never seen them in newsstand. I can picture tiny print runs but have a hard time believing they weren't released as newsstands at all.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:28 PM, paqart said:

I still find it peculiar that issues 2 and 4-42 can be found in about the same numbers as other newsstands from the period with similar order numbers. It is strange that DC would make newsstand editions of 2 and 4 but not 1 and 3. The same goes for Jonah Hex (2007). I have a couple of later issues in newsstand but none of the Cooke cover issues I want. I've never seen them in newsstand. I can picture tiny print runs but have a hard time believing they weren't released as newsstands at all.

It was probably a tiny print run. My guess is, it probably didn't sell and was returned. (shrug)

On 4/6/2023 at 6:17 PM, mr_highgrade said:

To be fair other then Spawn many just dont chase the newsstands away from Marvel/DC yet. Some never even had newsstands. I would imagine
the Simpsons and Futurama are also the same way, but sometimes I see more newsstands then directs with some of them. 

On 4/6/2023 at 6:28 PM, paqart said:

Your Catwoman books are out there Ive seen them just not many. I keep a look out for them. 
Any newsstand in 2007 is really hard to find by 2010 I think I have only found a couple of books
with more then one copy of any issue. The print runs for them were nothing. I hit a DC lot of Brave
and Bold NM copies last month. Never seen another copy of any of them.

On 4/9/2023 at 11:27 AM, fastballspecial said:

Your Catwoman books are out there Ive seen them just not many. I keep a look out for them. 
Any newsstand in 2007 is really hard to find by 2010 I think I have only found a couple of books
with more then one copy of any issue. The print runs for them were nothing. I hit a DC lot of Brave
and Bold NM copies last month. Never seen another copy of any of them.

I have B&B #33 newsstand cgc 8.0 :) I didn't press, but really don't know the market for it either lol 

When I go to conventions, it drives me nuts whenever a vendor asks me what I am looking for, and go on that they guarantee they will have what I am looking for. I rattle my list and they either have the too new for me for the first two or my "FAVORITE" line, why don't you try looking in the first three boxes you got a great shot... Yeah never happens. Come to think of it Sonic #1 will be having the 30th anniversary on May 11th... time flies. 

- Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog Mini-Series + regular series under #50 High grade or even any grade.

- Archie Comics Scooby Doo High grade or even any grade.

-Gold Key Scooby Doo High grade

-Gold Key Scooby Doo Mark Jeweler Variants

-Gold Key Scooby Doo #1 Coverless but complete

The hunt is on!

On 4/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, mr_highgrade said:

It was probably a tiny print run. My guess is, it probably didn't sell and was returned. (shrug)

On 4/9/2023 at 11:27 AM, fastballspecial said:

with more then one copy of any issue. The print runs for them were nothing.

There's no such thing as a tiny Newsstand print run. Publishers wouldn't bother with that. A small Newsstand print run would still be in the tens of thousands.

Sales are a different thing, but difficult (at best) to even guess at most of the time.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:10 PM, Lazyboy said:

There's no such thing as a tiny Newsstand print run. Publishers wouldn't bother with that. A small Newsstand print run would still be in the tens of thousands.

Sales are a different thing, but difficult (at best) to even guess at most of the time.

Whether they were tens of thousands or more, there was definitely less copies available than their A-list counterparts. Week after week they were just lingering around getting man handled by the general public until the end of the month when they were gone. Probably returned back to the wholesaler. 

On 4/9/2023 at 4:10 PM, Lazyboy said:

10s of thousands? 

Here is the circulation numbers for BB 33 in 2010.  We have separate circulation numbers for newsstands?
If so where are they? Is that what you are telling me?

So you are saying the newsstand circulation was 50% or more of the direct run? Because 10s of thousands
would mean at least 50% of the circulation numbers. 

Or are you saying that newsstand run is a separate circulation number we dont know.
That is just as big as the direct run from your statement above?

image.thumb.png.7d30848ab88fc97d4bc0cb9217256723.png

On 4/9/2023 at 1:27 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

When I go to conventions, it drives me nuts whenever a vendor asks me what I am looking for, and go on that they guarantee they will have what I am looking for. I rattle my list and they either have the too new for me for the first two or my "FAVORITE" line, why don't you try looking in the first three boxes you got a great shot... Yeah never happens. Come to think of it Sonic #1 will be having the 30th anniversary on May 11th... time flies. 

- Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog Mini-Series + regular series under #50 High grade or even any grade.

- Archie Comics Scooby Doo High grade or even any grade.

-Gold Key Scooby Doo High grade

-Gold Key Scooby Doo Mark Jeweler Variants

-Gold Key Scooby Doo #1 Coverless but complete

The hunt is on!

Difficult books to find.  I believe we did sell a Scooby Doo 1 last show. Sonics books are hit or miss.
When I buy a collection I either get a ton or nothing.

On 4/9/2023 at 8:01 PM, fastballspecial said:

Difficult books to find.  I believe we did sell a Scooby Doo 1 last show. Sonics books are hit or miss.
When I buy a collection I either get a ton or nothing.

Several years ago, I found a near-complete collection of Archie Scooby Doo, along with a run of Harvey and DC Scooby Doo and a few Charlton and Gold Key, in a 50 cent bin. All the Archie and DC were unread and VF/NM. I sold them for $3 apiece to Lone Star Comics probably three years ago. I felt like I made a good profit on them, but wish I'd kept them now.

Same with Sonic. I found a dealer with almost a long box of Sonic issues that were bought and stored away when an old shop closed down. I bought those for a buck apiece and, again, sold them to Lone Star for around $3 each.

I now buy all the Sonics and Scooby Doos that I can get cheap. I've got a Scooby Doo 1 Gold Key in VG/Fine and a couple other Gold Keys, a Marvel #1, a Charlton #1 and an Archie #1. I also have two Scooby Doo original art covers - both by Dan Spiegle - a Gold Key cover and an Archie cover.

I recently found another long run of Sonics starting with the miniseries #1 and then the regular series #1 and about 30 issues thereafter for a buck each.

They sell very well.