• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to have a unwitnessed signed comic graded????
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2016 at 5:06 PM, tmcneil82 said:

Other collectibles have been doing it for years. There are experts for other areas already, no reason we couldn't have experts at comic related signatures.

There are a great number of forged signatures out there and experts can be fooled.  The best way to know a signature is authentic is to witness it being signed.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, wombat said:

There are other options if someone wants to get a sig verified after the fact. 

Careful.  When I say that here, I get a couple days off.  😉

I just hate that the only allowed answer here is green or low-grade blue, when it's just blatantly false.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:51 PM, thehumantorch said:

There are a great number of forged signatures out there and experts can be fooled.  The best way to know a signature is authentic is to witness it being signed.

I've come to just accept the fact if I have an un-witnessed signed book, it'll just stay raw. I had two books verified by the competitor, and it didn't change the value of them (I was looking to have them verified in order to get a little ROI on a future sale). Not that they did anything wrong, but I think CGC has really branded their Signature Series program strongly, and that anything not CGC SS is not viewed in the same favorable or collectible light. 2c

On 1/4/2023 at 2:58 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I've come to just accept the fact if I have an un-witnessed signed book, it'll just stay raw. I had two books verified by the competitor, and it didn't change the value of them (I was looking to have them verified in order to get a little ROI on a future sale). Not that they did anything wrong, but I think CGC has really branded their Signature Series program strongly, and that anything not CGC SS is not viewed in the same favorable or collectible light. 2c

Odd.  Never once have I seen an encased, verified sig book go for same price as raw....of a desired book/signer, of course.  Desirability of said book/signer may be the issue.  Some signers don't add value, witnessed or not.

Would be interesting to see if a slabbed, verified Stan goes for same price as a raw Stan.  Same book in same condition, of course.

My money says of course not.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:26 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Odd.  Never once have I seen an encased, verified sig book go for same price as raw....of a desired book/signer, of course.  Desirability of said book/signer may be the issue.  Some signers don't add value, witnessed or not.

Would be interesting to see if a slabbed, verified Stan goes for same price as a raw Stan.  Same book in same condition, of course.

My money says of course not.

Very true. I had a cast-signed Married…with Children book that I got verified (I was pretty sure at the time there was never a CGC event featuring all 4 family members). And I worked for about a year to get a deal on the raw book - so I felt it did have room to gain some value, but ultimately I think I sold it for what I bought it for and eating the subbing cost. It was pretty unique - At the time, It was the only full cast signed book anywhere, and I thought it would benefit from authentication. But, it’s also a specialty signed item with a small group of people who would be interested in it. (I should have just kept it!)

The other book was an X-Men 94 signed and dated by Claremont in 1993 (before CGC) which I also thought may have some value since it was a “vintage” signature - and it sold for a typical raw price (it was like a 5.0 or something). Claremont sigs are pretty common, though. That’s where I felt people opted to get a CGC SS copy at a premium rather than a competitor authenticated one.

This was around 6 years ago, I think - so things may have changed, too.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Very true. I had a cast-signed Married…with Children book that I got verified (I was pretty sure at the time there was never a CGC event featuring all 4 family members). And I worked for about a year to get a deal on the raw book - so I felt it did have room to gain some value, but ultimately I think I sold it for what I bought it for and eating the subbing cost. It was pretty unique - At the time, It was the only full cast signed book anywhere, and I thought it would benefit from authentication. But, it’s also a specialty signed item with a small group of people who would be interested in it. (I should have just kept it!)

The other book was an X-Men 94 signed and dated by Claremont in 1993 (before CGC) which I also thought may have some value since it was a “vintage” signature - and it sold for a typical raw price (it was like a 5.0 or something). Claremont sigs are pretty common, though. That’s where I felt people opted to get a CGC SS copy at a premium rather than a competitor authenticated one.

This was around 6 years ago, I think - so things may have changed, too.

I'm wondering if grade had something to do with that.  Meaning, would a 9.6 have performed the same, compared to 9.6 raw.   Maybe it's easier to pass on a 5.0 🤔  Anyway, I get what you're saying, I'm just guessing it's pretty rare.  

After all their price hikes tho, I think it would have to be a pretty desirable name to even make it worth it.  Just a guess, but I bet most do it only for their PCs.  

On 1/5/2023 at 8:52 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I'm wondering if grade had something to do with that.  Meaning, would a 9.6 have performed the same, compared to 9.6 raw.   Maybe it's easier to pass on a 5.0 🤔 

Yeah, that MWC ended up being an 8.5 or something like that - not a specimen by any means. And a mid-grade X-Men 94 is pretty common with or without a signature. You're probably right, if they were 9.6 or 9.8 they would have realized that premium grade value.

I purchased a raw FF48 Stan Lee signed that had been cracked out of a PGX signature series they graded at 9.4. (Label was included) I put in a shockingly low bid considering it was a “graded” 9.4 and won.  Had it been encased even in the PGX it would have gone for more than double, possibly triple what I bid.

I had it verified at those other guys simply because there didn’t seem to be any other recourse other than to do that for any kind of legitimacy despite having proof of it.  
  I would think that a witnessed signature across the competing grading services should transfer, or does it?  Anyone ever try to submit a witnessed sig from the other companies?  Is that a green or do they give it a yellow?

On 1/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, Conali said:

I purchased a raw FF48 Stan Lee signed that had been cracked out of a PGX signature series they graded at 9.4. (Label was included) I put in a shockingly low bid considering it was a “graded” 9.4 and won.  Had it been encased even in the PGX it would have gone for more than double, possibly triple what I bid.

I had it verified at those other guys simply because there didn’t seem to be any other recourse other than to do that for any kind of legitimacy despite having proof of it.  
  I would think that a witnessed signature across the competing grading services should transfer, or does it?  Anyone ever try to submit a witnessed sig from the other companies?  Is that a green or do they give it a yellow?

There was a time when yellow labels were recognized reciprocally, but that time is passed.  There were reasons given, but it seems like rivalry was the main problem.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:42 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeah, that MWC ended up being an 8.5 or something like that - not a specimen by any means. And a mid-grade X-Men 94 is pretty common with or without a signature. You're probably right, if they were 9.6 or 9.8 they would have realized that premium grade value.

to cgc? yes, green :) 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

to cgc? yes, green :) 

That's why I sent them to the competitor - I didn't want it to be a GLOD. I had done some research on the sigs and felt they were close enough to the real thing that I didn't have any doubts, and my Claremont one was witnessed by me in 1993, so I knew that one was ok. I just hated the look of that green label. lol

On 1/5/2023 at 12:37 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's why I sent them to the competitor - I didn't want it to be a GLOD. I had done some research on the sigs and felt they were close enough to the real thing that I didn't have any doubts, and my Claremont one was witnessed by me in 1993, so I knew that one was ok. I just hated the look of that green label. lol

I can understand that motivation. :)

Possibly now, I've considered still sending in for a "new" cgc witnessed signing to have a "yellow label but with a strip of green at the top!" Something to consider, but I rejected it and sold the raws, most anyway, that I had personally signed before I was very aware of how it worked.

Luckily I had the guts and wasn't timid that first year back, as I'd have missed Stan coming to town easily afterwards.