• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random Thoughts posted by MetalPSI

106 posts in this topic

Started running on the treadmill last week, just finished another 1/2 hour workout on it.

I actually like it. It has a whole bunch of pre programs, the one I am currently using is the speed intervals. While the warm up and cool down are really too slow for my taste, the intervals are working out pretty good. They aren't very intensive right now, but the machine keeps you going at a fast walking pace for 1.5 minutes, then for .5 mins makes you run. Right now I am on 6 out of 10.

I think every two weeks I will up the intensity, and I will start on inclination.

I tried inclines my first time, and while my calves are still in pretty good shape, I thought I was going to blow out after 10 mins. Going from 0 incline to 8 out of 10 pretty much felt like I was running up a vertical wall.

I havent changed my weight routine just yet. Going to give it a couple more weeks, I am hoping to lose a couple of inches of belly just on running alone, then maybe I can get more mobility back.

Treadmill workouts are getting intense. My calves are really starting to cramp up just halfway in. Had to stop it was so bad. Lifted more weights to make up for it, and more pushups.

I might actually make it to a solid regular routine in the next week or so. Start doing upper, lower, cardio days

Treadmill workouts are getting intense. My calves are really starting to cramp up just halfway in. Had to stop it was so bad. Lifted more weights to make up for it, and more pushups.

I might actually make it to a solid regular routine in the next week or so. Start doing upper, lower, cardio days

You really need to weight train while dieting, otherwise you'll end up with a "skinny fat phenotype" as weight lifting is muscle sparing.Excessive cardio tends to burn as much muscle as it does fat.

I haven't been into lifting/eating well in over 3 years, finally getting back into it now....I finally re-joined a gym yesterday.Gotta say it was a kick in the nuts yesterday, after warming up and attempting to deadlift...couldn't get 60% of my previous 1 rep max, off the floor....

About 16 years ago, I got to around 10% body fat at 165 & 5'10".From that point, I was very dedicated to lifting/eating clean and all of that fun stuff up intil a few years back.

When cutting, at first I used a lot of distance running (2-4 miles a clip) along with high rep lifting.

Kept calories at 10 per pound of body weight while keeping myself in ketosis, at all times....used Hypertrophic Specific Training (higher reps/lighter weights, google HST) 5-6 days a week & ran 4 days a week, on my first cut to 165 (from 190, IIRC).

1 off day a week to keep your CNS from getting fried/over training symptoms etc...I did best when my 1 refeed day (calories bumped up to 500 above my maintainence) did not take place on my rest day, when nutrient partitioning was not enhanced due to the post work out window.

Cheers.

I'm 210 @ 5'7. I need to burn all the fat I can at this point. I was in my best shape @170, and I wasn't even carrying the amount of muscle I have now.

As for dieting, I've completely cut eating out, I was never into soda or sugary drinks to begin with, I've cut coffee down to 1-2 times a week. This week I've cut bread out, and if I do have bread, its whole multigrain. More seeds than bread.

I've started liquid breakfasts this week as well. Where I would have three eggs and two slices of toast, I've traded to 1 32oz shake consisting of 1% milk, frozen berries/fruit, and 2 scoops protein powder. For snacks I'll have a can of V8 juice or a piece of fruit. Fruit of the week this week is peaches. Actual peaches, not canned. I'll have a peach in the morning or afternoon, depending if I feel snackish. Lunch is leftover dinner from the night before. Today's dinner was steak, so leftover steak for lunch tomorrow.

Will probably have spaghetti with mushrooms, bell peppers and meat sauce for supper tomorrow.

Basically have a very heavy meat diet, always have. Just decided to cut down on the bread and see if that helps. I don't mind veggies once and while, and will have salads when it strikes me. Do shopping on Sat/Sun for groceries for the week and just go from there. Have cut out all premade frozen foods, most processed foods.

Trying to learn how to cook rice and eat that throughout the day, along with noodle type soups. I am not a soup person, but after seeing how they eat in Japan, I want to give that a try.

As for weight training, starting very slowly since I've basically done nothing at all since Mar. I am lifting as heavy as possible, but keeping it all within the large muscle groups. I am hoping most of the fat I am carrying will be food for my muscles and they will grow again. Being almost forty, I am not sure how much of my old mass I will get back. If I can get my arms back to 16, I suppose that will suffice, as long as I can curl 80lbs.

I started using this energy booster I bought awhile back, Endure by GNC. It does give the energy I seem to need. I really didn't want to quit when I cramped up today, and for the first time in a long time, I got a awesome pump.

I am hoping in 6 months I have cut a couple of inches down, about halfway to where I want to be. I'd like to fit into my 32 inch jeans again, just wonder if that's going to take a couple of years or what.

Sounds like a carb heavy diet. If you want to drop weight faster, you might think about replacing those carbs with proteins and fats for a few weeks and then gradually reintroduce the carbs back in. Congrats on the progress.

Sounds like a carb heavy diet. If you want to drop weight faster, you might think about replacing those carbs with proteins and fats for a few weeks and then gradually reintroduce the carbs back in. Congrats on the progress.

Uh what?

https://www.verywell.com/low-carb-fruit-list-2242528

I eat berries for the antioxidants, the peaches are tasty and better than any other sweets I care to have.

I am a bigger believer in doing work to keep fit and keeping eating habits to smaller meals. I don't believe in having to eat certain things, at certain times. I am not trying to look like a body builder, I just want my strength and stamina back, and to slim down to where I was a few years ago.

I quit smoking 3 years ago, and since then my eating habits turned south. I'd eat till I was over full, and I'd snack all day while eating one huge meal a day. When I was smoking, I used it as a appetite suppressor because I'd be working 12-14 hour days with just one break, and most times I would be eating fast food as my daily meal, with another fast food meal before bed. However, I was burning far more calories a day then I was capable of putting in. Which kept me trim, but also kept me from reaching my potential mass. When I stoppped that job and stopped smoking, my body exploded into muscle mass, which was awesome, but I didn't do anything to keep it up, so the muscle turned to fat fairly quickly. Now here I sit, going from 170 to 210 in three years. I basically have to reverse the damage I did by sitting on my arse instead of doing the heavy work I was used to doing.

Looking at Keto Diets. Not too sure how I can work that into my regular diet, although a lot of the foods and meals I've found here and there, I already do, or know how to make.

Cutting carbs actually seems pretty easy for me, I think the biggest problem I have is that I drink copious amounts of wine, and probably where a lot of my weight came from, on top of bad eating habits.

Chedder cheese? Yes please

All the fish and cow I can eat? Yes

Alternative meals like Baba Gonoush? Awesome

Veggies I already like to eat like broccoli and celery? More please.

I suppose I can survive treating myself to my berry protein shakes. I bought myself some ceylon tea awhile ago, haven't used any, and now I read I can drink that everyday if I so desired.

Only thing I am really missing is my supplements, I haven't been to GNC yet to replenish my vitamins. I use their Mega Man Sport Multivitamin. I think it has everything I need in it. And besides the whey protein from GNC and Endure workout energy drink, I think that's all I will need.

Now to pick a workout program. The wife has quite a few in her collection, she was a workout freak in her late 20's early 30's. P90X is the only one I recognize out of the batch, but there are a few chick only ones. I might be distracted by those ones lol

P90x is TOUGH. You have to be in shape to even attempt it.

I got shredded on that program. It's fantastic.

Thanks for the input. I've just been running treadmill and doing a few weights to prepare myself to go back to work. I suppose it's a good thing I've been doing that if I want to attempt P90X lol

This may sound weird from a guy's perspective, but yoga is freakin' magic. In shape or out, I had lower back issues constantly and was laughingly inflexible from high school up till right before I turned 30. Every so often I'd think, "yeah maybe that yoga stuff would do me some good..." but I finally got to it after I wrenched my back getting out of the car. That was it, just getting out of the car!

At minimum I go once a week now, and over three years later - no more back issues, much more relaxed posture, and I can put my socks on without having to sit down. It may not sound like much, but it made a world of difference for me.

This may sound weird from a guy's perspective, but yoga is freakin' magic. In shape or out, I had lower back issues constantly and was laughingly inflexible from high school up till right before I turned 30. Every so often I'd think, "yeah maybe that yoga stuff would do me some good..." but I finally got to it after I wrenched my back getting out of the car. That was it, just getting out of the car!

At minimum I go once a week now, and over three years later - no more back issues, much more relaxed posture, and I can put my socks on without having to sit down. It may not sound like much, but it made a world of difference for me.

Years in martial arts has taught me the appreciation of yoga, totally. Haven't tried it myself, but do have some DVD's, will give it a try once I lose some inches.

Having some real issues with the treadmill. My calves give out before I am even close to ready. I think I might have to hit the bike instead for cardio. Amazing how an extra 40lbs makes a difference on how your body reacts to work it was used to doing. Hell I used to climb 120 ft of stairs with 40lbs of equipment on. After two weeks of constant up and down, I could get up there without breaking a sweat.

Once I've moved and if I ever have extra cash, I might try one of the all in one stepper/treadmill. Looks pretty decent.

Years in martial arts has taught me the appreciation of yoga, totally. Haven't tried it myself, but do have some DVD's, will give it a try once I lose some inches.

Having some real issues with the treadmill. My calves give out before I am even close to ready. I think I might have to hit the bike instead for cardio. Amazing how an extra 40lbs makes a difference on how your body reacts to work it was used to doing. Hell I used to climb 120 ft of stairs with 40lbs of equipment on. After two weeks of constant up and down, I could get up there without breaking a sweat.

Once I've moved and if I ever have extra cash, I might try one of the all in one stepper/treadmill. Looks pretty decent.

Going back to P90x, because I'm a true believer...the program includes a Yoga workout. I am absolutely shocked at how hard it is. You go into a pose and think, "this is easy. Ridiculous."

Then about a minute later your body is pouring sweat! "How did that happen?"

Then about 20 minutes in you can barely stand.

I also recommend a good ole fashioned NordicTrac ski machine for cardio. Get a heart rate monitor. Work until you get in the "fat-burning" phase and stay there for as long as possible. I used to do an hour a day. I'd put on Star Trek TNG and go to town. lol