• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stranger Things on Netflix
4 4

449 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2022 at 1:38 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

FB_IMG_1657433832426.jpg.772e0a5cfdcdbfd85c8f9803f23b4ea6.jpg

That reminds of some movie spoof, that shows a standee of an aged Rocky starring in Rocky 20 or something like tha.  Am I dreaming that or can someone help me remember the movie?

On 7/10/2022 at 7:07 AM, telerites said:

That reminds of some movie spoof, that shows a standee of an aged Rocky starring in Rocky 20 or something like tha.  Am I dreaming that or can someone help me remember the movie?

I remember what you are talking about. Just can't remember the film yet. But it was something like Rocky 18 or 20 with him as an old boxer.

hm

On 7/10/2022 at 6:07 AM, telerites said:

On 7/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

I remember what you are talking about. Just can't remember the film yet. But it was something like Rocky 18 or 20 with him as an old boxer.

hm

On 7/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That's not the one I am thinking of.

There was a parody movie, and while they are running around in one scene there is a Rocky poster behind them. But he is really old.

Kind of like a blink-and-miss-it Batman vs Superman in an I Am Legend scene (though clearly not a comedy).

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/10/2022 at 10:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's not the one I am thinking of.

There was a parody movie, and while they are running around in one scene there is a Rocky poster behind them. But he is really old.

Kind of like a blink-and-miss-it Batman vs Superman in an I Am Legend scene (though clearly not a comedy).

Maybe some of the scenes from, "The Comebacks." ? 

Like this one.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:23 AM, telerites said:

Yeah - I am like @Bosco685 - not the one I am thinking of.  It was a poster or standee - I want to say it was Leslie Nielsen movie.  It wasn't  main part of the movie - just in the background.

It is familiar- Was it perhaps a film by Jim Abrahams, and David and Jerry Zucker?

On 7/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, telerites said:

That doesn't right but maybe.  I was thinking a Naked Gun type. Maybe Austin Powers ?

Didn't Zucker do Naked Gun?

The more I strain my brain, assuming we're thinking the same thing, I now want to say it was on a poster in the background, but the camera focuses on it just before the scene changes.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, MR SigS said:

The more I strain my brain, assuming we're thinking the same thing, I now want to say it was on a poster in the background, but the camera focuses on it just before the scene changes.

Exactly, that is my memory too.

Never got around to posting this but I'm sure someone else did - the obvious Star Wars hat-tips and homages throughout the final season. 

Henry Creel talking to Eleven, trying to get her to join him, almost word-for-word from Anakin trying to convince Padme to join him, in Revenge of the Sith, to achieve "balance", order and change the world (galaxy) for the better, they're not like us, we're better, etc. 

Henry being nearly killed, banished, heavily scarred and left for dead in a desolate lifeless place only to come back as the biggest baddest baddie. 

Eleven (as Luke did) leaves her training early to go help her friends and battle Vader (Vecna). 

Sullivan and troops (as Stormtroopers did) assault and enter the NINA stronghold to get to Leia (El) is exactly laid out like the opening sequence to A New Hope, even with the alarms going off and troops lining the corridor (of course in SW the alarm sounds were reversed (maybe SW is in the upside down).

El rescued from the sniper's crosshairs at NINA by a band of misfit civvies in a beater-van, like Leia's unlikely rescue from the clutches of Vader/Vecna by misfits arriving in a beater-freighter.

I'm sure there's more, including the direct references like "Lando!" or using the Millennium Falcon toy to practice El's powers. 

First off.... SPOILERSSSS

I consider myself a pretty big fan of the show.

Season 1 was great. Season 2 was a slog. Season 3 was corny but it all worked for me and this current Season was their best. The problem I have (and I know the Duffer bros had planned all along for 5 seasons) is that I really do not see how you follow up season 4 with a finale that could have been better than Season 4. What I mean is, they could have ended the show in this season, defeating Vecna and all reuniting and continuing on with life (they could have done away with a lot of smaller romantic subplots by killing off a couple people or even resolving a couple of those plots).

Now though, they have to follow this up with a finale that is better? I am skeptical. I am sure they will do it but will it be enjoyable? Or this enjoyable? That is where I have my doubts. I don't foresee another Eddie type character becoming as beloved, or even another "Running Up The Hill" moment...it just seemed to all click with this season.

Final thought....apparently the Duffer brothers have an idea for a spinoff that they have not even told Netflix about. However, Finn has guessed this supposed spinoff (meaning he has mentioned it in passing, or at some point over the years). I am curious what it could be. My guess would be Kali (from the episode or two in Season 2 where El goes to the city and learns how to control her powers from a girl previously experimented on by the same people) and her backstory? They never did explain how Kali escaped or any of her backstory really so maybe they dive into her in some way....again, I fail to see how that could ever live up to what Stranger Things is though.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, jcjames said:

Sullivan and troops (as Stormtroopers did) assault and enter the NINA stronghold to get to Leia (El) is exactly laid out like the opening sequence to A New Hope, even with the alarms going off and troops lining the corridor (of course in SW the alarm sounds were reversed (maybe SW is in the upside down)

That was the biggest one for me, pure homage. And very well done.