• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stranger Things on Netflix
4 4

449 posts in this topic

Pretty awesome video comparing shots of classic 70s and 80s movies

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/side-by-side-comparisons-of-stranger-things-and-its-movie-inspirations

Warning it has major spoilers in it.

I finished last night and it has become one of my favorite seasons of tv of all time.

just 8 really solid if not perfect episodes. I know im partial because i grew up with all that but it was just awesome

Nice, but that final scene is from Aliens, not Alien with the kid stuck against the wall, wasn't it?

That's like saying, "removing the sci-fi elements from Star Wars". lol

Star Wars is a great classic story that's still quite good outside of Sci-Fi. In fact that movie was made; its called The Hidden Fortress. :)

Stranger Things uses nostalgia as a gimmick; not something that adds to the story. The entire story could be set in 2012 with a modern soundtrack and nothing would change other than I suspect people wouldn't like it...

I know about "The Hidden Fortress" and about the dozen plus 30's and 40's serial homages and nods that Lucas included. Star Wars was derivative and the acting was incredibly poor. Yet it sustains.

A big part of what the creators in "Stranger Things" wanted to do was create a collage homage to that era in film, television, and people who grew up at that time.

It's as much a part of the story as the upside down and the era is as much a character as any of the actors.

Remove the nostalgia and I found the show boring for long stretches and devoid of plot. It strikes me as a blatant rip-off and equally bad for many of the same reasons as Super-8 which probably appeals to the same crowd. (yes, I grew up in the 70's and 80's but movies where that setting is the singular hook dont grab me on that aspect alone.)

Literally nothing happens for the bulk of the series and things that do happen end up being entirely irrelevant.

Would have been MUCH better as a 2 hour movie or single Amazing Stories episode.

Also much of the the acting.. just wow. The kids were great, but the adults, particularly Matthew Modine and Winona Ryder; holy over acting hell...

Entertaining? yes. Good? no.

Removing the nostalgia also removes, entirely, the meaning behind the obvious love letter the creators were writing to everything 1983.

It was a rather effective mystery, and I found the single driving plot, and all the subplots and tangents that were forwarded in the protagonists investigation of the main plot, interesting.

It was far too short a season to get boring, really. And I'm going to disagree with the "nothing happens for the bulk of the series" simply because...well...a lot fricken happens....to a lot of the character...pretty much constantly.

One man's "rip off" is another man's "homage". lol

Agree. Most will love it. There are a select few who wont. Everyone I work with who has watched that are around my age love it.

Id like to know what the 20 year olds think.

Remove the nostalgia and I found the show boring for long stretches and devoid of plot. It strikes me as a blatant rip-off and equally bad for many of the same reasons as Super-8 which probably appeals to the same crowd. (yes, I grew up in the 70's and 80's but movies where that setting is the singular hook dont grab me on that aspect alone.)

Literally nothing happens for the bulk of the series and things that do happen end up being entirely irrelevant.

Would have been MUCH better as a 2 hour movie or single Amazing Stories episode.

Also much of the the acting.. just wow. The kids were great, but the adults, particularly Matthew Modine and Winona Ryder; holy over acting hell...

Removing the nostalgia also removes, entirely, the meaning behind the obvious love letter the creators were writing to everything 1983.

It was a rather effective mystery, and I found the single driving plot, and all the subplots and tangents that were forwarded in the protagonists investigation of the main plot, interesting.

It was far too short a season to get boring, really. And I'm going to disagree with the "nothing happens for the bulk of the series" simply because...well...a lot fricken happens....to a lot of the character...pretty much constantly.

Agree. Most will love it. There are a select few who wont. Everyone I work with who has watched that are around my age love it.

My wife and I liked it a lot...couldn't wait to settle down at the end of the day and watch it together. She's 22, I'm 25.

My biggest complaint for the show...I wish they used an original Kenner Millenium Falcon, instead of the Hasbro reissue of the late 90's that used the same mould. Other than that, loved the series.

Jim

I noticed that, too. Stickers were wrong. Drove me nuts.

Star Wars is a great classic story that's still quite good outside of Sci-Fi. In fact that movie was made; its called The Hidden Fortress. :)

Stranger Things uses nostalgia as a gimmick; not something that adds to the story. The entire story could be set in 2012 with a modern soundtrack and nothing would change other than I suspect people wouldn't like it...

If you change the era, you change the story a LOT. Between the MASSIVE amount of surveillance & technology advancements as well as the overall massive difference between peoples trust/distrust of government, the story is VERY VERY different. If that story is done in 2012, those kids whip out their phones (because even middle schoolers have phones these days), make a vine or youtube video of 11 doing crazy stuff, and tweet the bejeezus out of it. And it goes viral in 20 minutes. Instant different story.

And those same kids are Facebook Live-ing their escape from the shadowy power-plant-slash-government-agents.

And the mom is going all Paranormal Activity with video cameras EVERYWHERE in her house.

And I guarantee that nerdy kid's dad isn't all "well, this is the government, they're here to help and protect us from the commies" when the shadowy-power-plant-government-agent-with-almost-no-name is trying to convince them to turn their kid over to him. I guarantee they're screaming to the high heavens about how the CIA is trying to abduct their kid with the Patriot Act & they get a lot more suspicious.

And all of that's assuming they don't all just get taken out with a drone instead

I live on a college campus and I was surprised at how big of a hit it was with all of my friends. I'm hooked now too.

Poor Barb

No one cared at the end for her.

lol I thought the same thing.

I'm ashamed by Nancy's indifference for her best friend. :(

My biggest complaint for the show...I wish they used an original Kenner Millenium Falcon, instead of the Hasbro reissue of the late 90's that used the same mould. Other than that, loved the series.

Jim

Now you know how I feel watching almost any Marvel movie.

Jim

How many times have they included the rerelease falcon in Marvel movies? :ohnoez:

Jim

How many times have they included the rerelease falcon in Marvel movies? :ohnoez:

I will hug the stuffing out of you. :sumo: