• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stranger Things on Netflix
4 4

449 posts in this topic

Finally got around to starting this series. I'm 3 episodes in. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but this show is definitely influenced by movies like Scanners and Firestarter both in content and in music score, very reminiscent of the old tangerine dream scores of the 80s. Also very noteworthy is the nice homage to the d&d scene in ET.

Overall fun to see something so similar to stuff I loved as a kid.

Interesting. FIRESTARTER came to mind very early on, in part from the mix of kids with some pretty nasty violence. George C. Scott would have made a fine addition to this cast.

Finally got around to starting this series. I'm 3 episodes in. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but this show is definitely influenced by movies like Scanners and Firestarter both in content and in music score, very reminiscent of the old tangerine dream scores of the 80s. Also very noteworthy is the nice homage to the d&d scene in ET.

Overall fun to see something so similar to stuff I loved as a kid.

Interesting. FIRESTARTER came to mind very early on, in part from the mix of kids with some pretty nasty violence. George C. Scott would have made a fine addition to this cast.

We lost him far too soon. He died relatively young.

Awesome series! Finished it last night. I thought the characters were superbly done. Especially loved the chief. Heck, they were all good, even the teenagers and kids. Contrary to some I thought Winona was great. Very difficult role to play I would imagine. Looking forward to season 2!

Awesome series! Finished it last night. I thought the characters were superbly done. Especially loved the chief. Heck, they were all good, even the teenagers and kids. Contrary to some I thought Winona was great. Very difficult role to play I would imagine. Looking forward to season 2!

I thought she did a great job as well. Over-acting? I don't know....I'd be incredibly distraught if my son were missing like that.

I watched it by myself and enjoyed the heck out of it. I really like sharing it with my wife, who's about 6 years younger than me. She still loved it even though the 80s weren't her thing.

Two thumbs up.

I really enjoyed the series.

But the last episode was just okay.

This article rejuvenated my interest because it sounds like he has a real plan:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

Patrick

I really enjoyed the series.

But the last episode was just okay.

This article rejuvenated my interest because it sounds like he has a real plan:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

Patrick

Thanks for posting!

This comment really resonated with me. “Stand By Me" is one of my all-time favorites and this nailed the overall feel of the series for me. Loved the kids, but I never felt like it was a safe, ET type movie...something I think Super 8 tried but didn't go far enough with.

"Matt: We always wanted to keep the stakes high. When you’re looking back at “Stand By Me,” the stakes feel very real. The kids never feel completely safe, even though there is an element of fun and you love those boys. There’s this consistent danger with Kiefer Sutherland coming after them, the train coming so close to them — we wanted to always keep the kids in real danger, that’s not “Dungeons & Dragons” danger."

Well, it's good news I guess, but, like I said before, shows like Twin Peaks were amazing, but turned into a train wreck once they resolved the initial plot driving the show yet kept going due to high ratings. I really was happy with the way Stranger Things wrapped up, just leaving a few loose threads for the viewer's imagination to tug on. I hope they have a strong feel for where they want to go in a second season and it doesn't lose the magic. Regardless, I guess it will at least be nice to go back to the early Eighties again!

Well, it's good news I guess, but, like I said before, shows like Twin Peaks were amazing, but turned into a train wreck once they resolved the initial plot driving the show yet kept going due to high ratings. I really was happy with the way Stranger Things wrapped up, just leaving a few loose threads for the viewer's imagination to tug on. I hope they have a strong feel for where they want to go in a second season and it doesn't lose the magic. Regardless, I guess it will at least be nice to go back to the early Eighties again!

The writers said they had a 30-page description of the Upside-Down. They were just giving us snippets, and holding back quite a bit to focus on the main storyline as a way to introduce things slowly.