• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it good or bad business? posted by richard8158

7 posts in this topic

I'd really like to hear how others feel about this.

Yesterday I was going from one auction site to another, just looking to see if there was anything I was interested in. My comic collecting is confined to only a couple titles so it's pretty easy to know what I've already looked at before. Anyway I saw a comic that recently sold on one site, appear on another, for sale again. The difference was it was more than 7 times higher in price this time. I went and checked the numbers on both sites. Yep, same book. I felt like this major dealer was taking advantage of collectors. I also wondered if the items I bought from them before had the same markup. I have also seen this from another seller (same comic issue) but he only marked his up a bit over 5 times. I know, I know, they haven't broken any laws. And it is their right to charge whatever they feel. But they remind me of the folks who sell hammers and toilet seats to the government. I approve of reasonable profits. At what point does profiting end and gouging begins? I don't feel good about it, but am curious how others feel.

See more journals by richard8158

I feel extremely indifferent about it in general, but especially for luxury items or collectibles that were offered publicly for sale. Otherwise things can get very judgy very quickly and very arbitrarily. What if you bought a comic from a thrift shop for $1 and sold for $7. Or $2 and sold for $14? What if he can't sell that dollar comic for $7, but gets desperate and sells for 50 cents? What if a stockbroker did tons of research and bought a million $1 shares today and sold them all for $7 each tomorrow?

I can see where one might have an opinion if it might materially affect perceived pricing of a niche market you're interested in, but in the absence of actual or even perceived improprieties, there's a million other things in life to be addressed, like how crazy good the Cubs are but still won't win the World Series. #billygoatcurse #sfgiantsevenyear

Disclaimer: provided no laws or contracts were broken, and all transactions were made by consenting adults in good faith.

Yesterday I was going from one auction site to another, just looking to see if there was anything I was interested in. My comic collecting is confined to only a couple titles so it's pretty easy to know what I've already looked at before. Anyway I saw a comic that recently sold on one site, appear on another, for sale again. The difference was it was more than 7 times higher in price this time. I went and checked the numbers on both sites. Yep, same book. I felt like this major dealer was taking advantage of collectors. I also wondered if the items I bought from them before had the same markup. I have also seen this from another seller (same comic issue) but he only marked his up a bit over 5 times. I know, I know, they haven't broken any laws. And it is their right to charge whatever they feel. But they remind me of the folks who sell hammers and toilet seats to the government. I approve of reasonable profits. At what point does profiting end and gouging begins? I don't feel good about it, but am curious how others feel.

Are you a communist?

I have taken issue with this type of thing in the past too, but only insofar as the effect these prices have on the rest of the market.

Was the new higher pricing in line with the new market rate? Or was this a case of whale fishing (putting a book for sale online with a very high price when the book is rare in hopes.

i dont care if someone found a 'deal' and then relisted it elsewhere for a profit a the new market price.

i do care if the asking price is wildly out of line with the market.

dealers who do that set unreal expectations with other sellers, and when you're trying to make a deal on a book these unreal expectations make negotiating more of a headache...

also i think part of this is why al plastino stopped signing books (seeing his SS books listed for wild prices and him thinking that someone else was "profiting:" off his name, when in reality the books would never sell at those lofty prices...)

Or was this a case of whale fishing (putting a book for sale online with a very high price when the book is rare in hopes.

I just sneer when I see this kind of whale fishing. As collectors it's within our rights to note the dealer/seller doing the whale fishing and then make a point of shopping elsewhere.

:preach:

This book sold on clink for $57 and was immediately put on ebay for $405. It seems it must be whale fishing. I fear that others will follow this example and raise their prices too. I believe the clink price is really what it is worth. I was not interested in buying the book, only that I noticed the sharp price increase. Seemed excessive to me and only wondered what others thought.

BTW I am not a communist, and wish that some people on the boards didn't feel the need to be negative. I only asked for opinions not judgments or insults.

"Gouging is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property." So, definitely not gouging......This type of activity in the comic selling context doesn't really bother me. I usually just shake my head and cross them off my buying list. The only time I take issue with it is when someone has tried to work me down on the price, citing some personal love of the item or hardship, and then proceeds to list it for a profit. I couldn't do that, but I've had it done to me. I aggravating, but that's life. As I get older, I try to let fewer annoying things take up space in my head.