• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Penney Variants
4 4

77 posts in this topic

I'm 99% sure this is the JC Penney Vintage Pack 2nd printing of Marvel Milestone Edition X-Men #1.  It has the regular non-slick interior pages, the interior pages are numbered and the cover is a darker gray as stated in the STLComics blog.  It also has the 1993 date at the bottom of page 1 instead of the 1991 date.

Marvel Milestone Edition X-Men #1 (J.C. Penney 2nd printing).jpg

IMG_20180107_155623811.jpg

IMG_20180107_155805478.jpg

IMG_20180107_155557342.jpg

Edited by Shark

1 hour ago, Metarog said:

Hmm, it doesn’t look like the one I have in my set as the pricing area is different. It could be there were two versions though. What is on the back cover?

The Wallace Brown Inc. full page ad - same as the 1991 version.

2 hours ago, Metarog said:

The back cover is right but my copy does not have an indicia even on the inside front cover. Here is what mine looks like...

D9C1680C-E510-4A69-B79D-D2CBA50B07DD.jpeg

Will the real JC Penney Vintage Pack Marvel Milestone Edition X-Men #1 please stand up?  :ohnoez: 

2 hours ago, ShieldAgent said:

My JC Penny copy is the same as Metarog's.

Looks like I need to do some further investigation as to exactly what it is that I have then.  It's definitely not a 1st printing as it has a 1993 date.  Maybe a 3rd printing??

Edited by Shark

On 1/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, Shark said:

I'm 99% sure this is the JC Penney Vintage Pack 2nd printing of Marvel Milestone Edition X-Men #1.  It has the regular non-slick interior pages, the interior pages are numbered and the cover is a darker gray as stated in the STLComics blog.  It also has the 1993 date at the bottom of page 1 instead of the 1991 date.

IMG_20180107_155557342.jpg

Well, yours does say first printing right there in the indicia...

All of the variables with these 2nd and 3rd printings of Marvel Milestone Editions was driving me nuts so I compiled an Excel spreadsheet showing the different characteristics of both the 1st printings and the 2nd & 3rd printings.  An image copy of that file is attached.  Note that there are both Direct and Newsstand Editions of these 1st printings as well.

As the spreadsheet clearly shows, there's a big difference between the X-Men #1 copy I posted about above and the 1st printing.  I don't know whether it's a 2nd print or a 3rd print but it is clearly not a 1st print.

Marvel Milestone Editions.jpg

On 1/10/2018 at 10:26 PM, Shark said:

Looks like I need to do some further investigation as to exactly what it is that I have then.  It's definitely not a 1st printing as it has a 1993 date.  Maybe a 3rd printing??

My Comic Shop has notes for a 3rd printing:

3rd printing (erroneously stated as 1st printing at the end of indicia). Cover price is inside a white box. Classic Jack Kirby art. Reprints Reprints X-Men 1 (1963). Cover price $2.95.

4 hours ago, boomtown said:

My Comic Shop has notes for a 3rd printing:

3rd printing (erroneously stated as 1st printing at the end of indicia). Cover price is inside a white box. Classic Jack Kirby art. Reprints Reprints X-Men 1 (1963). Cover price $2.95.

Thanks for the clarification.  (thumbsu

On 9/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, Shark said:

I finally landed that elusive copy of the J.C. Penney 2nd printing of Marvel Milestone X-Men #1.  That completes the 3 sets (1992,1993,1994).  :cloud9:

Congrats! Could you post a scan so we know what to look for?

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

Congrats! Could you post a scan so we know what to look for?

Here ya go.  It's like a couple of other posters in here said.  The cover is a little darker gray and more of a paper cover - thinner than the normal glossy cover of the 1st printing.  When you look inside, the interior pages are paper (not glossy) and are numbered at the middle bottom of each page.

So here's how I would go about it.  The 1st and 2nd printings both have the $2.95 US price and the $3.50 CAN price.  The 3rd printing has only the $2.95 price in a white box.  Once you've determined it's a 1st or 2nd printing, then use the numbered paper pages inside as the determining factor as to it being the 2nd printing.

Marvel Milestone Edition X-Men #1 (JC Penney Vintage Pack 2nd printing).jpg

22 minutes ago, Shark said:

Here ya go.  It's like a couple of other posters in here said.  The cover is a little darker gray and more of a paper cover - thinner than the normal glossy cover of the 1st printing.  When you look inside, the interior pages are paper (not glossy) and are numbered at the middle bottom of each page.

So here's how I would go about it.  The 1st and 2nd printings both have the $2.95 US price and the $3.50 CAN price.  The 3rd printing has only the $2.95 price in a white box.  Once you've determined it's a 1st or 2nd printing, then use the numbered paper pages inside as the determining factor as to it being the 2nd printing.

Thanks for the info! So where are the pages numbered on the first printing?

15 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Thanks for the info! So where are the pages numbered on the first printing?

On the 1st printing there are no page numbers at the middle bottom of each interior page.  The interior page numbers are only on the 2nd and 3rd printings.

Again, these page numbers are at the middle bottom of each interior page.  I'm not referring to the original page numbers that are at the bottom right corner of each page.