• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

Though I did really enjoy Matt Smith's time, I can't see them bringing him back as the regular Doctor. However, I would like to see him make a guest spot in a "multiple Doctor" type episode like they've done in the past. The last one "Day of the Doctor" was one of my favorites.

Looking forward to some new episodes. :popcorn:

Never cared for Polly,

:o Them's fightin' words. :sumo:

despised Adrick, Ace too,

Ok, you've redeemed yourself. Even misspelled "Adric" (bonus points) :foryou: Really didn't care for Mel, either. The Sylvester Years were a little rough. Kamelion just didn't pan out the way they'd hoped, so I'll resist the urge to lump him in with the lot.

Perry was Perry,

Mmmm, Perpugilliam :cloud9: I got several friends into Doctor Who in high school by showing them "Planet of Fire". I really enjoyed her chemistry with Davison's doctor, especially in "Caves of Androzani", but it took a step back once Baker came in.

I think Turlough was the most underrated companion. He had a lot of depth through his battle with evil.

Really liked Turlough, too, especially once he settled in after the Black Guardian arc was past. I'd throw in Romana I, Liz Shaw and Nyssa as well.

I'd throw in Romana I
Even though her replacement wasn't an awful actress (somewhat too adorable for a Time Lord- Destiny of the Daleks- dressing up as a female Doctor) I was disappointed Romana I couldn't stay on for more episodes, to potentially build her character the way she wanted at least.

I think Turlough was the most underrated companion. He had a lot of depth through his battle with evil.

Really liked Turlough, too, especially once he settled in after the Black Guardian arc was past. I'd throw in Romana I, Liz Shaw and Nyssa as well.

Interesting Turlough titbit... In Mawdryn Undead, the glowing crystal Turlough was holding got so hot, those looks of pain/discomfort in his face were actually real.

doctor-who-terminus-turlough-talks-to-black-guardian-crystal-mark-strickson.jpg

Interesting Turlough titbit... In Mawdryn Undead, the glowing crystal Turlough was holding got so hot, those looks of pain/discomfort in his face were actually real.

doctor-who-terminus-turlough-talks-to-black-guardian-crystal-mark-strickson.jpg

Method actor. (worship)

Ecclestone was the only "new" Doctor I liked. Tennant was so wild and overwrought I just couldn't hang with it -- he was like McCoy hepped up on goofballs. I will say, the episode with the clockwork robots in 1700's France was one of my favorites of the new era. Smith I skipped completely, but went back and caught some of the better episodes during a marathon on the Beeb. They were pretty decent, but it seemed like they were trying to tie up some "key" storylines leading up to the big 5-0, so they kind of had that larger-in-scope feel. Capaldi had this severe look that I thought might bring in a more serious tone, but the goofiness just seemed to continue so I gave up. I mean, if you can't even do mummies on the Orient Express well... (shrug)

I'd be curious to hear everyone's single favorite episode. No wishy-washy "Top 5": Favorite. Single. Episode.

I'd throw in Romana I
Even though her replacement wasn't an awful actress (somewhat too adorable for a Time Lord- Destiny of the Daleks- dressing up as a female Doctor) I was disappointed Romana I couldn't stay on for more episodes, to potentially build her character the way she wanted at least.

Before I die, I'm going to name someone or something Romanadvoratrelundar (yeah, I spelled that from memory).

Ecclestone was the only "new" Doctor I liked. Tennant was so wild and overwrought I just couldn't hang with it -- he was like McCoy hepped up on goofballs. I will say, the episode with the clockwork robots in 1700's France was one of my favorites of the new era. Smith I skipped completely, but went back and caught some of the better episodes during a marathon on the Beeb. They were pretty decent, but it seemed like they were trying to tie up some "key" storylines leading up to the big 5-0, so they kind of had that larger-in-scope feel. Capaldi had this severe look that I thought might bring in a more serious tone, but the goofiness just seemed to continue so I gave up. I mean, if you can't even do mummies on the Orient Express well... (shrug) I'd be curious to hear everyone's single favorite episode. No wishy-washy "Top 5": Favorite. Single. Episode.
The Girl in the Fireplace. This is one of the very best episodes of the show. This is the type of quality they should be aiming for all of the time.

Doctor Who S02E04 The Girl In The Fireplace (ws... by RightMoveLLC

Ecclestone was the only "new" Doctor I liked. Tennant was so wild and overwrought I just couldn't hang with it -- he was like McCoy hepped up on goofballs. I will say, the episode with the clockwork robots in 1700's France was one of my favorites of the new era. Smith I skipped completely, but went back and caught some of the better episodes during a marathon on the Beeb. They were pretty decent, but it seemed like they were trying to tie up some "key" storylines leading up to the big 5-0, so they kind of had that larger-in-scope feel. Capaldi had this severe look that I thought might bring in a more serious tone, but the goofiness just seemed to continue so I gave up. I mean, if you can't even do mummies on the Orient Express well... (shrug)

I'd be curious to hear everyone's single favorite episode. No wishy-washy "Top 5": Favorite. Single. Episode.

Christopher Ecclestone was the William Hartnell of modern era Dr Who, i.e the benchmark by which all others would improve upon. A solid start but a little wooden. I can't help but think the producers just wanted a well known actor to kick-start the franchise. The fact Ecclestone only lasted one series didn't surprise me.

To me, the series really started to gel when David Tennant took over. A great Doctor (despite the toothy grins).

Favourite episode? There's too many to pick just one. Can I give you a Top 5...? ;)

The Day of the Doctor (just for John Hurt).

Or the one with Amy Pond in uniform.

It's hard to pick just one, but I'd say "Genesis of the Daleks" is my favorite, and probably "Day of the Doctor" for new Doctor Who. Granted there are MANY episodes I've yet to see, so I've got lots more episodes to eventually watch.

^ Good choice for the new series.

Hard to pick a single show, but always been partial to "Talons of Weng Chiang."

Or if many-part isn't cheating, the 10 part Troughton "War Games" isn't as full of filler as a lot of the longer serials.

Eccleston is my favorite of the nuWho. But it's really quite a different show, quite frenetic and a lot less mystery/plot driven.

So far in my limited viewings of the new stuff "Time of the Doctor" is my favorite.

Jerel's Old School pick would be "The Stones of Blood." It used to terrify me at six living in the Granite State of NH. My father had a couple upright slabs around the house as well. I get the willies with the Weeping Angel episodes as well.

"Silence the She-Devil!" :roflmao:

That little dummy guy in the basket was definitely creepy. :fear:

Hilarious.

I'm not even particularly a fan of Gothic, but I confess to first exposure to 70s re-runs on PBS of Dr Who under Hinchcliff show runner, and really like many of serials written by Holmes. Several are favorites along with popular ones like Caves. And until worn out with use, the Angels (first one) are VERY creepy for me too, that was home-run stuff.

"War Games" isn't as full of filler as a lot of the longer serials.
"Inferno" :makepoint::P

Easily swappable with "Ambassadors of Death". Some of those Pertwees really tested your commitment to the show, especially for those of us that got the episodes on Saturday nights starting at 10 pm.

I wrestle with this and "Terror of the Zygons", but I'd have to go with "Robots of Death" as my favorite single episode, although that entire season has a lot to love, including The Deadly Assassin and Talons of Weng-Chiang. The aforementioned little guy, "Mr. Sin" aka "The Peking Homunculus" (again, pulled that from memory... it's no wonder I forget to bring my lunch to work), was played by Deep Roy, who also played "The Klute" in one of my favorite Blake's 7 episodes, Droopy McCool of the Max Rebo Band in ROTJ and a ton of other things you would've never guessed: WikiLink

"Silence the She-Devil!" :roflmao:

That little dummy guy in the basket was definitely creepy. :fear:

2149e0f6191c8c1131bb0575384496544afa339e_hq.jpg

...Hard to pick a single show, but always been partial to "Talons of Weng Chiang."

Or if many-part isn't cheating, the 10 part Troughton "War Games" isn't as full of filler as a lot of the longer serials...

So far in my limited viewings of the new stuff "Time of the Doctor" is my favorite.

Jerel's Old School pick would be "The Stones of Blood." It used to terrify me at six living in the Granite State of NH. My father had a couple upright slabs around the house as well. I get the willies with the Weeping Angel episodes as well.

From the original series, I'd pick The Five Doctors (despite Tom Baker's non-appearance). That has to be my most watched episode. "It's as easy as Pi" chortle.

My fondest memories are of Logopolis (with The Watcher), however having rewatched it recently, all the good stuff is in the first two episodes.

Eccleston is my favorite of the nuWho. But it's really quite a different show, quite frenetic and a lot less mystery/plot driven.

Ecclestone, huh? hm Is it just me who puts him at the bottom of the modern list?