• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

WHO Was The Best Doctor

Original Series:

1. Peter Davison

2. Tom Baker

3. Jon Pertwee

4. Patrick Troughton

5. William Hartnell

6. Colin Baker

7. Paul McGann

8. Sylvester McCoy

Modern Series:

1. Matt Smith

2. David Tennant

3. Peter Capaldi

4. John Hurt

5. Christopher Ecclestone

I've been a fan since the mid 80s when I started watching Tom Baker as the Doctor. It would be really hard to pick a favorite but do remember the 1st episode was one where a rich guy gets stung by a meteorite and turns into a giant plant that grows to the size of the mansion. I also really liked an episode where the whole planet turns out to be a vampire.

In terms of new episodes I loved the one where the doctor responds to a distress call and it turns out the planet is draining and eating time lords. Especially liked the Tardis being portrayed as a woman.

Edited by 1Cool

WEEPING ANGELS!!!!!! :ohnoez:

Blink is a great episode. Easily Top 5.

Maybe we need a Top 5 hm

;)

Although Blink was brilliantly written, I found The Time Of Angels two-parter more terrifying. The scene with Amy in the trailer still gives me shivers! The exchanges with Bob are priceless.

I'd be curious to hear everyone's single favorite episode. No wishy-washy "Top 5": Favorite. Single. Episode.

Best episode: Genesis of the Daleks

Best doctor: Tom Baker :sumo:

I will attempt to rank them:

Original Series:

1. Tom Baker

2. Peter Davison

4. Patrick Troughton

5. William Hartnell

6. Colin Baker

7. Sylvester McCoy

8. Paul McGann

Modern Series:

1. David Tennant

2. Christopher Ecclestone

3. Matt Smith

4. John Hurt

It would be hard to say as I am watching the Doctor on Saturdays. Watched the Aztecs Story this past weekend. The Vulcan nerve pinch came by way of Doctor Who. Trying to do them in order is not easy as most of the earlier episodes were lost due to the BBC wiping tapes clean was the policy of the time. I'm just glad a large portion survived and are available on DVD.

My Doctor ranking would probably be:

1) Troughton - I will explain, though, that a lot of this comes from seeing what few episodes remain on video, then ravenously filling in the gaps with many of the audio CD's and books, so, honestly, I really built his era up more in my imagination than with the other Doctors. If you guys haven't read the Fury From the Deep, Power of.. or Evil of the Daleks novelizations, I highly recommend them.

2) Davison - The Doctor that was current when I started watching, so he's kind of "my" Doctor. Bookended by Castrovalva and Caves of Androzani, there's hardly a low point in his entire body of work.

3) Tom Baker - First few seasons were gold, really the Golden Age for Who, but after Key to Time, it really became a bit of a downhill slog (except for Warriors' Gate which is fantastic).

4) Jon Pertwee - Took some getting used to his flamboyant style, but overall pretty fun. "Sea Devils" is a real highlight and Delgado's Master was such a great foil.

5) Colin Baker - Such an abrupt change from Davison, I'm not sure he ever quite settled in in my head, but he still brought some unique and genuinely lovable qualities to the character. Regretfully his era was cut short just before the episode where they brought back the Celestial Toymaker.

6) William Hartnell - No disrespect intended, he's got some great episodes, just seems like overall more misses than hits as the series found its footing and with all those flubbed lines, just hard to rank his era higher. Gunfighters deserves its awful rep -- I gladly sold that DVD for well above retail, good riddance.

7) Sylvester McCoy - I thought he was going to be okay in the beginning, but too many of the stories were just directionless garbage. Unlikable companions didn't help at all. The anniversary episode with the Daleks was good, but I think that's the only McCoy DVD I own.

8) McGann - Well, to be fair, I avoided the movie, so I can't even say if he was good or bad. Still have zero interest in seeing it.

9) Peter Cushing - Yeah, the other "movie" Doctor. I love Peter Cushing. I love him as Sherlock Holmes, I love him as Van Helsing, I do not love him as the Doctor. Dreadful stuff, again, mostly because the property was still finding its way and his movies were very much in the wrong direction. I seem to remember them being overly simplistic and childlike.

Are you my mummy?

Those two episodes freaked me out and gave my daughter nightmares for a few nights.

Ahh, yes!! The Empty Child definitely had the creepy factor! (As well as introduced the wonderful character that is Jack Harkness (thumbs u ) Any others in the harkness club? Love me some Torchwood, dare I bring up another series in the Dr Who thread. :whistle:

Are you my mummy?

Those two episodes freaked me out and gave my daughter nightmares for a few nights.

Ahh, yes!! The Empty Child definitely had the creepy factor! (As well as introduced the wonderful character that is Jack Harkness (thumbs u ) Any others in the harkness club? Love me some Torchwood, dare I bring up another series in the Dr Who thread. :whistle:

He was a great addition to the Doctor Who series. Confused the hell out of me when they started in with the Face of Bo stuff but I like his cheeky humor.

Are you my mummy?

He was a great addition to the Doctor Who series. Confused the hell out of me when they started in with the Face of Bo stuff but I like his cheeky humor.

Those two episodes and Blink where the first three episodes of Doctor Who that my kids and I introduced my wife to Doctor Who with. Coming from no previous experience with DH, she admitted they were great right off the bat. That end of series 3 in NuWho starting with Human Nature and pretty much right through the end of that run is some of my favorite stuff. The final episode was somewhat of a letdown, and despite Martha being a weak companion.

But as I have said for modern Tennant is my favorite. I like the end a series 4 a lot also. Turn Left is another great episode that comes to mind.

Are you my mummy?

Torchwood is great. Bit sorry the way that it ended.

Are you my mummy?

d10-8j-077.jpg

Easily the best episodes from the first series.

My Doctor ranking would probably be:

1) Troughton - I will explain, though, that a lot of this comes from seeing what few episodes remain on video, then ravenously filling in the gaps with many of the audio CD's and books, so, honestly, I really built his era up more in my imagination than with the other Doctors. If you guys haven't read the Fury From the Deep, Power of.. or Evil of the Daleks novelizations, I highly recommend them.

2) Davison - The Doctor that was current when I started watching, so he's kind of "my" Doctor. Bookended by Castrovalva and Caves of Androzani, there's hardly a low point in his entire body of work.

3) Tom Baker - First few seasons were gold, really the Golden Age for Who, but after Key to Time, it really became a bit of a downhill slog (except for Warriors' Gate which is fantastic).

4) Jon Pertwee - Took some getting used to his flamboyant style, but overall pretty fun. "Sea Devils" is a real highlight and Delgado's Master was such a great foil.

5) Colin Baker - Such an abrupt change from Davison, I'm not sure he ever quite settled in in my head, but he still brought some unique and genuinely lovable qualities to the character. Regretfully his era was cut short just before the episode where they brought back the Celestial Toymaker.

6) William Hartnell - No disrespect intended, he's got some great episodes, just seems like overall more misses than hits as the series found its footing and with all those flubbed lines, just hard to rank his era higher. Gunfighters deserves its awful rep -- I gladly sold that DVD for well above retail, good riddance.

7) Sylvester McCoy - I thought he was going to be okay in the beginning, but too many of the stories were just directionless garbage. Unlikable companions didn't help at all. The anniversary episode with the Daleks was good, but I think that's the only McCoy DVD I own.

8) McGann - Well, to be fair, I avoided the movie, so I can't even say if he was good or bad. Still have zero interest in seeing it.

9) Peter Cushing - Yeah, the other "movie" Doctor. I love Peter Cushing. I love him as Sherlock Holmes, I love him as Van Helsing, I do not love him as the Doctor. Dreadful stuff, again, mostly because the property was still finding its way and his movies were very much in the wrong direction. I seem to remember them being overly simplistic and childlike.

1. Pertwee

2. T. Baker

3. Davison

4. C. Baker

5. Hartnell

6. Troughton

7. McGann: I too haven't seen his movie, but he cannot be any worse than McCoy.

8. McCoy

Although Blink was brilliantly written, I found The Time Of Angels two-parter more terrifying. The scene with Amy in the trailer still gives me shivers! The exchanges with Bob are priceless.
Just watched TToA for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Loved it and the Bob stuff were great.

With all the Alien V talk, I thought this was a nifty little trivia fact...

In the film Alien Resurrection (1997) the character Annalee Call, when revealed as being a robot, is noted by another character to be "an Auton, a robot designed by other robots."

Auton's first appeared in Jon Pertwee's first serial as the Doctor, Spearhead from Space in 1970 and they returned in 2005's Series 1's first episode "Rose."

With all the Alien V talk, I thought this was a nifty little trivia fact...

In the film Alien Resurrection (1997) the character Annalee Call, when revealed as being a robot, is noted by another character to be "an Auton, a robot designed by other robots."

Auton's first appeared in Jon Pertwee's first serial as the Doctor, Spearhead from Space in 1970 and they returned in 2005's Series 1's first episode "Rose."

As a fan of both Alien and Dr Who, very cool tidbit! Concept of Autons is pretty interesting, did some quick google-research. Would be a neat concept to see more movies/shows focus on. :popcorn:

Just finished Series 5's "The Lodger."

I've been jumping around episodes through many of the Doctors, like when I originally watched the Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee stuff simultaneously on different channels when I grew up.

Loved it!

I kept wondering why the character Craig was so familiar.

Then I realized it was The Late, Late Show's Corden.

Great humour between Matt Smith and him.