• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On that note, I wonder if Matt Smith has ever tried standup. I think he'd do British comedy very well.

I'm trying to picture it and all I can think of is Frank Spencer...

OK...

I bought Doctor Who Series 2-8 tonight.

Time of the Jerel, to start at the beginning to catch back up.

Yes, I'm very excited to watch The Empty Child episode.

Not going to binge them.

Back in '81, I would watch the Pertwee ones on PBS stations Channel 11 at 6:30 and then the "newer" Baker ones at 7:00 on channel 2.

Might just do that. I'll just pop one in around that time frame every night, until I finish. It might make me feel six again.

Maybe these nine boxsets will become my fountain of youth for 3+ months. hm

Time will tell...

I'd be curious to hear everyone's single favorite episode. No wishy-washy "Top 5": Favorite. Single. Episode.

It's hard to pick just one, but I'd say "Genesis of the Daleks" is my favorite, and probably "Day of the Doctor" for new Doctor Who. Granted there are MANY episodes I've yet to see, so I've got lots more episodes to eventually watch.

Favorite episode of the Original Series would probably be "Face of Evil". Then again I am a huge Louise Jameson (Leela) fan. I even flew to England to see her at a Doctor Who convention several years ago.

Of the new series, "Blink" is probably #1 with "Girl in the Fireplace" a close second.

Modern doctors

1. Peter Capaldi

2. David Tennant

3. Chris Ecclestone

Previous Era

1. Colin Baker

2. Tom Baker

3. John Pertwee

4. Patrick Troughton

Fav companions:

Nicola Bryant, Jenna Coleman, Billie Piper, Mary Tamm, Elisabeth Sladen, Katy Manning

After Tom invented the first goofy eccentric doctor, the other goofball knock-offs never lived up. Colin B. and Capaldi are supremely confident and don't take from anyone.

I couldn't stand what they did to Jenna in "The Raven".

I second "Blink" and "The Girl in the Fireplace".

I think he was way too abrasive and snappy for a lot of people, especially with the troubled regeneration. I actually liked him (he was the first doctor I met in person), but my problem was more with the quality of the stories during his era, which was pretty lackluster. Mark of the Rani was great, maybe Two Doctors, but beyond that I'm stretching to even remember anything. He was also severely impacted by the "lost season", which, sadly, was set to feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker. Lots of negative publicity came out of his era, IIRC.

I think he was way too abrasive and snappy for a lot of people, especially with the troubled regeneration. I actually liked him (he was the first doctor I met in person), but my problem was more with the quality of the stories during his era, which was pretty lackluster. Mark of the Rani was great, maybe Two Doctors, but beyond that I'm stretching to even remember anything. He was also severely impacted by the "lost season", which, sadly, was set to feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker. Lots of negative publicity came out of his era, IIRC.

But, Peri.

; )

Well he was the first doctor I saw first here in Canada. Yes his costume could have been better. The BBC budget and back room politics did not help him.

However, he was different from his predecessors. I really think a lot of the regenerations try and mimic in someway No. 4 all over again (i.e. Tennant and Smith).

I actually dislike the Smith era most of all. It doesn't sound like the Capaldi era will be lasting much longer. He's No. 12 I believe. What trick do they have in store to give him another 12 lives? It's already been done with the Master.

I think he was way too abrasive and snappy for a lot of people, especially with the troubled regeneration. I actually liked him (he was the first doctor I met in person), but my problem was more with the quality of the stories during his era, which was pretty lackluster. Mark of the Rani was great, maybe Two Doctors, but beyond that I'm stretching to even remember anything. He was also severely impacted by the "lost season", which, sadly, was set to feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker. Lots of negative publicity yummy cheesecake came out of his era, IIRC.

But, Peri.

; )

Ah, let me fix my post, then.

Well he was the first doctor I saw first here in Canada. Yes his costume could have been better. The BBC budget and back room politics did not help him.

However, he was different from his predecessors. I really think a lot of the regenerations try and mimic in someway No. 4 all over again (i.e. Tennant and Smith).

I actually dislike the Smith era most of all. It doesn't sound like the Capaldi era will be lasting much longer. He's No. 12 I believe. What trick do they have in store to give him another 12 lives? It's already been done with the Master.

Have you been following the show? He's already used up 13 regenerations and is now on his second cycle, gifted to him by the Time Lords for saving Gallifrey.

Edited by TheLiamSturgess

Have you been following the show? He's already used up 13 regenerations and is now on his second cycle, gifted to him by the Time Lords for saving Gallifrey.

Well, I have trouble figuring out what the hell is going on in a single episode so you have to forgive me if I missed that one.

But, Peri.

; )

...who was a spill over from the Davison era ;)

Speaking of Davison, he had a troubled regeneration too.

I think he was way too abrasive and snappy for a lot of people, especially with the troubled regeneration. I actually liked him (he was the first doctor I met in person), but my problem was more with the quality of the stories during his era, which was pretty lackluster. Mark of the Rani was great, maybe Two Doctors, but beyond that I'm stretching to even remember anything. He was also severely impacted by the "lost season", which, sadly, was set to feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker. Lots of negative publicity yummy cheesecake came out of his era, IIRC.

But, Peri.

; )

Until the internet, I had no idea she wasn't American.

But, Peri.

; )

...who was a spill over from the Davison era ;)

Speaking of Davison, he had a troubled regeneration too.

Baker had a great role in the Davison era, that really showcased his range.

But, Peri.

; )

Until the internet, I had no idea she wasn't American.

I was remembering that as well. I heard people criticizing her "fake" American accent later on, but I never had a clue she was British until then, so I guess if she fooled an American it was actually quite good.

OMG.

I watched some of Series 1's "Rose" and Series 2's "School Reunion" (I could not wait to try it) and absolutely love it!

I wanted to watch this when it first came to the states, but I was going full throttle in comics and was afraid of committing to a beloved series from my childhood. This wasn't "Misfits of Science" afterall.

So, I put it on the back burner. Still, watching a Pertwee/Baker/Davidson DVD now and then.

I have a feeling I wasted my life buying into all these funnybook shows that failed or will eventually, when this show was on. It's nothing like I remember it, yet the same. Man the sight of K-9. I used to have a box with a radio antennae on back of it with a suction cup dart sticking through a littler box for a head and eye.

I used to drag that outside everywhere, before it finally fell apart.