• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

Any Americans in this group that remember these ?  They were the only Dr. Who books we could get in the US at the end of the 70's.

https://drwhonovels.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/a-word-about-pinnacle-books

/image.thumb.jpeg.aaf33d1c1a8424ed78502bd20049f111.jpeg

I've been slowly buying back some of the Doctor Who fanzines that I had art published in way back in the 1980s.

Here's the Whovian community's attempt at Live Aid, the imaginatively titled "Fan Aid" from 1985 (I think):

FanAid.thumb.jpg.90b9d8a4198e223a08bb6765dce3b590.jpg

Here's my "too much of a good thing" page inside:

FanAidi.thumb.jpg.8da03668bfd8ee0529fcfd8c4dae7170.jpg

Not my best piece by a long shot - rather pedestrian - and I never liked Baker's finished hair. It's hard, drawing hair, sometimes. His hand was alright though.

They were happy days for me, the 80s :)

On 10/11/2023 at 2:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

Will that include animations and reconstructions?

I'm also implausibly optimistic that they may have been holding a missing episode recovery or two for the 60th, given that the last batch was released for the 50th...

On 10/20/2023 at 1:43 PM, Ken Aldred said:

It's not that different. zzz

I don't dislike it Paul, but I'm not a fan of the big orchestral versions. They seem to me to be just that - a big orchestral version of the Doctor Who theme, rather than the Doctor Who theme itself. Does that make sense? It's like the version that you'd find on an old TV compilation tape by Geoff Love and his orchestra.

I like the look of what I'm seeing in the trailers so far - it feels very much like the adults are back in charge - so we'll see how it pans out once Tennant's hopped it for the second time. I have a suspicion that it will be good, but also that I've already seen the best it will ever be.

tumblr_ow147osOc11thxmefo3_r1_640.gif.c17a878557864140b29da717a8767d18.gif

Time will tell, as usual...

I was down in Ramsgate last week and found the Petticoat Lane Emporium, which was one of the biggest indoor knick-knack places I think I've ever seen. I didn't take pictures, but this is from their website:

IMG_3686.thumb.jpg.fe9cc0c974469aeace89ca5d20ab887a.jpg

I was just about the only one in there.

I spent a good while looking for comics and such and right at the end found a stall with some Doctor Who Target novels. I used to have a full set back in the day and I found them dripping in nostalgia and pleasing to the touch. They were in superb, bright, unread condition and only three quid a pop. Alas, I had forgotten to bring out my wallet, so I resolved to return. I did, and it was shut. Undeterred, I went a third time and there they still were. This time, I inspected each carefully and pulled out 4 of the very best condition ones, two of which were first printings with the original black logos. Remember them? Off I went to the till, to be told the till wasn't working and it was cash only. I had none.

So I never got them. 

One of them was a Baker, and I was looking forward to the teeth and curls description that I recall he used in every one. Yes, I'd have liked to have read them again, for old time's sake, but it wasn't to be.

On 10/20/2023 at 1:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't dislike it Paul, but I'm not a fan of the big orchestral versions. They seem to me to be just that - a big orchestral version of the Doctor Who theme, rather than the Doctor Who theme itself. Does that make sense? It's like the version that you'd find on an old TV compilation tape by Geoff Love and his orchestra.

I agree.  Just another version of the same old.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Well said.  There are occasions where a version like this would work but I don't see any reason for it to be the main version.

Just leaving this link here:

Edited by OtherEric
Fixing start time on link

On 10/20/2023 at 6:00 PM, OtherEric said:

Well said.  There are occasions where a version like this would work but I don't see any reason for it to be the main version.

There's a tangible absence of flair isn't there. I know Russell T is a highly regarded story teller, and rightly so, but he should have insisted on something much more in keeping with the original spirit of the show. He should've sought edgy, dangerous, atmospheric. It's a pedestrian orchestral, everything but the kitchen sink version with only the odd annoying 'new' flourish to distinguish it from any of the other recent ones. Great themes elevate shows in the memory. I would want to hear Russell say "No. No. NO!" upon hearing that. "That is not what I want".

Imagine it's 1963 again. Listen to the original. What on Earth...

Exactly. Not on Earth. 

I don't know what's up with everyone nowadays, why they can't see it. Or hear it, in this case.

On 10/20/2023 at 6:25 PM, OtherEric said:

I would describe the new version as too much Ron Grainer, not enough Delia Derbyshire. 

I would describe it as shit.