• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80s X-men discussion

84 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2021 at 11:12 PM, followtheleader said:

Good question.  Probably get a different answer from everyone. 

Personally, I felt like it went longer.  Definitely thru Inferno and even the Siege Perilous. 

There is definitely a defining change at X-men 281.  Much gray in the Lee era (260s/270s) preceding it.

Patrick

That’s definitely my mental stopping point. As far as my collection is concerned, UXM ended with 281, and I’m fine with that. That’s when I dropped my subscription, and when I generally lost interest in the line. I popped in here and there for different runs, some of the Joe Mad stuff, AOA, but my personal connection ended at 281. And honestly, my teenage emotional investment really ended around the time Jim Lee showed up. I liked his art, but the storylines had gotten so convoluted and dull. Inferno was the last crossover I really cared about. There’s still some nostalgic feeling for the Lee stuff, but I honestly don’t remember much about the stories, if anything, by that point.

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That’s definitely my mental stopping point. As far as my collection is concerned, UXM ended with 281, and I’m fine with that. That’s when I dropped my subscription, and when I generally lost interest in the line. I popped in here and there for different runs, some of the Joe Mad stuff, AOA, but my personal connection ended at 281. And honestly, my teenage emotional investment really ended around the time Jim Lee showed up. I liked his art, but the storylines had gotten so convoluted and dull. Inferno was the last crossover I really cared about. There’s still some nostalgic feeling for the Lee stuff, but I honestly don’t remember much about the stories, if anything, by that point.

Personally and in the limited scope of what I read at the time, it never seemed to have a clear plot or goal in mind. With the acolytes it seemed they were starting something, but then for me it drifted by the next story I read. Too bad mine was too consecutive lol

On 7/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Personally and in the limited scope of what I read at the time, it never seemed to have a clear plot or goal in mind. With the acolytes it seemed they were starting something, but then for me it drifted by the next story I read. Too bad mine was too consecutive lol

@ADAMANTIUM First off, happy birthday!

And, yes, the acolytes started a strong run of v2 #1-3, but like everything else it just petered out.  Admittedly I love the X-Men from the 80s until the late 90s/early 00s, but it was a continuity trainwreck for quite some time.  Claremont liked to drop new plot threads into stories, but then those points would get buried and then resurface a couple years later.  Very convoluted, but I still love that stuff lol!

Just now, mec3437 said:

@ADAMANTIUM First off, happy birthday!

And, yes, the acolytes started a strong run of v2 #1-3, but like everything else it just petered out.  Admittedly I love the X-Men from the 80s until the late 90s/early 00s, but it was a continuity trainwreck for quite some time.  Claremont liked to drop new plot threads into stories, but then those points would get buried and then resurface a couple years later.  Very convoluted, but I still love that stuff lol!

I kind of love it too, and I didn't buy much at the time. At the time it was just overbearing, the awesome covers promising delivered but it did make it hard to remember everything lol

And basically convoluted, but the cartoon made everything worth it  :headbang:

On 6/25/2021 at 9:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I only recently read up on his powers, that he "can understand and recreate technology ", which sounded decent for time travel and other futuristic stuff (thumbsu

I'd have to read the new series, but given that older premise, you have peeked my curiosity 

back in the day, when he made the gun that stripped mutants of their powers the thing that sticks in my mind is "if he can conceive of it, he can build/make it" which was always a bit too limitless for me but I love the character

I started just after Death of Phoenix, loved PMS. I recall a lot of momentum about The Twelve, a group of mutants more important than the rest. But after Inferno that petered out and had a lackluster resolution and Claremont was gone. I loved Silvestri and the Outback stuff, Rogue was so good and Rachel too. And Magneto leading the team I liked as well. I also enjoyed when X-Force went with Sam being immortal and his relationship with Cable.

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

back in the day, when he made the gun that stripped mutants of their powers the thing that sticks in my mind is "if he can conceive of it, he can build/make it" which was always a bit too limitless for me but I love the character

Lol that would be level 100 to have that "forged".... Lol

The thing that lost me is the cartoon to me made me "believe" he was a throw away character, like only needed in the cable time traveling saga.

But I was too young and or filled with imagination, (or ignorant) as I didn't know Gambit was a relatively new character and that the idea of wolverine was old as dirt haha. They became my favorite characters, but forge wasn't as deep or developed in the cartoon.

Watching Saturday morning was easier than getting by a LCS haha

And I did it again as a kid I watched basically the cartoon up until after phoenix then interest Wained.

I then or now have the whole series on DVD and have still somewhat lost interest after the Phoenix saga!

It's just too good.... Spoiler alert

On 7/11/2021 at 9:21 PM, F For Fake said:

How funny, that’s exactly when I dropped off too. I thought Lee’s panel layouts were hard to follow.  I loved the marauders, reavers, sinister, genosha, jubilee hating on psylocke, all that 80’s stuff 🙂

3 hours ago, BrooksR said:

How funny, that’s exactly when I dropped off too. I thought Lee’s panel layouts were hard to follow.  I loved the marauders, reavers, sinister, genosha, jubilee hating on psylocke, all that 80’s stuff 🙂

Yes, absolutely! I started reading X-Men with Fall of the Mutants, and began to feverishly connect the dots via Classic X-Men and back issues. The run from Mutant Massacre through Inferno is “my X-Men”, though I quickly came to love Paul Smith, Dave Cockrum, etc.

It seems like such a short run, but FotM through Jim Lee essentially was my adolescent comic reading peak, encompassing 5th through 8th grade or so, and by the time X-Men 1 hit, I was in high school and no longer keeping up with it. The thrill was gone, in that very specific teenage X-nerd way. When I was 19 or 20 I started working at a comic shop, and began to catch up on what I’d missed.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:59 PM, mec3437 said:

Awesome!  I've been wanting to pick up the XA poster as well!  I was super pleased with how my Fall poster came out after being framed at the Hobby Lobby.  

0303211941.jpg

Beautiful! Here’s mine, folds, pinholes and all. My LCS had this poster up when I started going to the shop, and it will forever be burned into my brain. I also picked up a couple of Excalibur promo posters that I love. One day I’ll track down a nice copy of the Walt Simonson X-Factor poster that hang on my wall for so many years.

900C8067-F8D5-4361-9021-72F7E4235B35.jpeg

B8BD44E8-653E-47A9-88FA-F5B56ED0889A.jpeg

A4E9A21D-D01B-4F4E-9CAC-F3FE45FF7C04.jpeg

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, absolutely! I started reading X-Men with Fall of the Mutants, and began to feverishly connect the dots via Classic X-Men and back issues. The run from Mutant Massacre through Inferno is “my X-Men”, though I quickly came to love Paul Smith, Dave Cockrum, etc.

It seems like such a short run, but FotM through Jim Lee essentially was my adolescent comic reading peak, encompassing 5th through 8th grade or so, and by the time X-Men 1 hit, I was in high school and no longer keeping up with it. The thrill was gone, in that very specific teenage X-nerd way. When I was 19 or 20 I started working at a comic shop, and began to catch up on what I’d missed.

This was my experience too.  I actually consider that to be the best time to get into X-Men.  We had the benefit of Classic X-Men (my favorite at the time) giving us the new-to-us older stories along with being able to anticipate the newer ones as they were being written.  Plus, Wolverine had his ongoing series of which I adored most the first 45 issues.  Plus, New Mutants was hot and X-Factor was decent for a stretch too.  

Not to mention the Punisher and PWJ series were in their early primes and the McFarlane ASM's (I liked the Larson ones too).  Even the JRJR Daredevil was fun.  

Everyone has their bias, but to me that late 80's to about the end of 1991 era of Marvel was as exciting as comics ever got overall.  The possibilities were endless with all of the great titles and great artists.    

1 hour ago, ganni said:

@Patrick

If i can remember... My brother bought it from one of those poster print of Fastner/Larson.  Back in 83' i think.  :preach:

Is that a 10X14 or is it poster sized? I've never seen a poster size version.  The print was common back in the 80s.

12 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Beautiful! Here’s mine, folds, pinholes and all. My LCS had this poster up when I started going to the shop, and it will forever be burned into my brain. I also picked up a couple of Excalibur promo posters that I love. One day I’ll track down a nice copy of the Walt Simonson X-Factor poster that hang on my wall for so many years.

900C8067-F8D5-4361-9021-72F7E4235B35.jpeg

B8BD44E8-653E-47A9-88FA-F5B56ED0889A.jpeg

A4E9A21D-D01B-4F4E-9CAC-F3FE45FF7C04.jpeg

Always cool to see the old posters get a good home!  Some of the stores I frequent wish that they could get more promo posters but they aren't sure if Marvel, DC, etc still distribute them out to the stores.  So, I'll still see old Onslaught or Civil War posters up in shops, but not usually newer stuff or I don't notice the new stuff.