• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80s X-men discussion

84 posts in this topic

Just for the 80s X-men discussion. I just recently re-read several issue from a collection I got in.

Its hard for me to be objective since this time period was great as a reader.

Am I overrating this X-men run or is it under appreciated?

I realize the art could have been better, but at the time it seemed more the average with Smith and Romita.

Edited by Fastballspecial

The 80’s X-Men (UXM) was a great period for comic book reading. It started with the Hell Fire Club, then Days of Future Past and finished with the start of Acts of Vengeance. In between, there were some great storylines, (the start of the infamous cross-overs) including Mutant Massacre and Inferno, to name just two, but yes there were also some (many dud issues – usually fill in stories).

The art for the time was I believe good, better than some of the other books being produced, with Byrne, Cockrum, Silvestri, and later on Jim Lee (to mention a few).

However, I am bias, and would read any UXM book, the good and the bad.

Edited by Waylander

It was the first run I started collecting when I got back into comic collecting. Fun run to collect, great read when you accomplish the task and it doesn't break the bank. The books are plentiful but very liquid because someone is always collecting this run. Lots of nostalgia for 80s kids.

UXM was my first subscription which started at issue 184 up to 20x something. So, formative years. 185 was a great read and then I got real confused for the next 2 years. The whole Storm and Forge drama and the Cyclops Madeyline Pryor drama was kind of a mess. Wolverine showed up in and out with his usual bad ery but was also holier than thou in a lot of ways. I wasn't sure what the heck was going on with Prof X in issues 190 and other issues around then were simply confusing.

Once they started doing crossovers on my limited teenage budget, I had to go.

When I went back and read the classic Byrne 129-143 and then the Brood saga, I wondered why they couldn't come up with that kind of magic.

Was reading Spiderman at the time too and ASM was as good as it gets for 1980s

I still absolutely love the whole Brood saga. I love them all actually up until 175...then the title seemed to have jumped the shark somewhat.

I think I'll go read that run again before the end of summer!

X-Men in the 80's was a disaster. After Byrne left, Claremont lost his ability to write coherent storylines.

Yes, I have no doubt that it thrilled 7-13 year old boys with no critical thinking skills, but as literature, it's a mess.

The last coherent, completed, excellent storyline in X-Men was Days of Future Past. Everything after that is a jumble of endlessly unresolved plot threads, confusing motivations, illogical behavior, and gaping inconsistencies.

Anyone ever red Avengers Annual #10...?

Tell me...what happened in that book?

Not the "action", that's easy to describe.

What was the PLOT of that book...?

:popcorn:

That book crystallizes everything that was wrong with the X-Men in the 80's.

Meanwhile, over at DC, Alan Moore was turning the world upside down with Swamp Thing, and Miller was breathtaking on DD, Ronin, and Dark Knight,

:

The 80’s X-Men (UXM) was a great period for comic book reading. It started with the Hell Fire Club, then Days of Future Past and finished with the start of Acts of Vengeance. In between, there were some great storylines, (the start of the infamous cross-overs) including Mutant Massacre and Inferno, to name just two, but yes there were also some (many dud issues – usually fill in stories).

The art for the time was I believe good, better than some of the other books being produced, with Byrne, Cockrum, Silvestri, and later on Jim Lee (to mention a few).

However, I am bias, and would read any UXM book, the good and the bad.

I am too, but I am focusing more on the Post Byrne era.

As a teenager I thought it was great, but now I am not so sure.

I quit reading it after Fall of the Mutants.

+1!

I stopped reading in the 280s as it just got to be a mess by then. 300s were a disaster. I tried 400s and couldn't identify with them anymore.

I tried Claremont's runs too and just couldn't like them.

I just think they just don't get the concept of Mutants/X-men anymore.

Or even care too.

Edited by Fastballspecial

When I went back and read the classic Byrne 129-143 and then the Brood saga, I wondered why they couldn't come up with that kind of magic.

Byrne left, and Claremont's ADD had the run of the place.

I do not think that most people realize the amount of influence to the story that Byrne actually contributed.

I do not think that most people realize the amount of influence to the story that Byrne actually contributed.

whatever the case, I agree that everything after byrne stunk terribly.

Most overrated series of all time.

whatever the case, I agree that everything after byrne stunk terribly.

Most overrated series of all time.

I find Claremont's work without Byrne to be quite cold and soulless. Also, overly verbose. I recently re-read Avengers Annual 10, which was quite ridiculous in this respect. Michael Golden did some great, detailed art in this book, but the panels often look almost miniaturised because of the writer's word density, and best magnified on a tablet to appreciate them properly.