• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Key Issues
4 4

167 posts in this topic

I'd toss in the Conan tryout stories done before they had the rights to Conan.

What are those?

Chamber of Darkness 4, Starr the Slayer by Thomas and Smith

What are those?

Thanks. I will have to look into those.

What are those?

Thanks. I will have to look into those.

There's only one tryout book. This is the one. The story was later reprinted in Conan #16, I believe.

Starr the Slayer sure looks familiar, doesn't he?

163508.jpg.e5fc259ec63b34d615ce89993eb7e69a.jpg

163509.jpg.f9561f676a7308b02664d564a2eb93aa.jpg

I'm working on a 1-100 run right now.

I will have most of them from 39-100 very soon.

It will take me a while to get 1-38 though.

I just finished my raw run - took me years to get it done and it's pretty high grade.

My big dilemma now is that I'm going to do a CGC run and I can't decide what grade to do.

I'm think either 9.4 or 9.6 for issues 1-100

What does everybody think?

9.4 and 9.6 copies are very affordable compared to other titles, but if you're looking for a large [slabbed] run like that, it can get hugely expensive with resale value not being very high with this title. I'd stick with raw.

I stuck with only key issues for my slabbed books and tried to stay at 9.6, but wounded up getting some 9.4s and 9.2s mainly because they were so cheap. I will eventually try to upgrade the 9.2s, but it's not high on my priority list right now.

Regarding the older issues, despite the recent upswing in some auctions, it's a buyer's market in my opinion due to low popularity. Get it while it's still good because I think this title will eventually take off again one day. Especially if Hollywood can actually come up with a good movie.

I'm working on a 1-100 run right now.

I will have most of them from 39-100 very soon.

It will take me a while to get 1-38 though.

I just finished my raw run - took me years to get it done and it's pretty high grade.

My big dilemma now is that I'm going to do a CGC run and I can't decide what grade to do.

I'm think either 9.4 or 9.6 for issues 1-100

What does everybody think?

(thumbs u

I no longer collect Conan, but I did keep these three issues because they're in really nice shape, especially the Annual which is flawless. (Disregard wavy lines which are light reflection off Mylar.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have fond memories of this title and have similar experiences with other posters on here. It was the first title i collected actively but still being at school i could not afford to buy the early issues in high grade and had to settle for low grade copies which became very low grade copies because i read them to death, thats how much i enjoyed reading them.

I have finally put a nice high grade run together with the key issues being all slabbed in 9.4 or better with the remainder in raw high grade. I also agree with another poster in that high grade 9.4 and 9.6 slabbed copies are very affordable compared to other well known titles of the same era. In fact there is a 9.4 white paged Conan #24 at auction right now which i would have bidded on myself if i did not already have a copy.

Here are a few Conan keys you guys might like to see.

First is the Overstreet 40th price guide variant issue done by JRJR :sick: not the best art but is very hard to find ;)

001_zps8f0e827e.jpg

Next is the Marvelmania Magazine 2 the true 1st art cover done by Barry W. Smith :cool:

013_zps54c798d2.jpg

1st. prototype of Conan is always good to have :)

IMG_0920.jpg

And finally this has to be my favorite Conan cover of all time :sumo: Nuff said !

IMG_0623.jpg

Here are a few Conan keys you guys might like to see.

First is the Overstreet 40th price guide variant issue done by JRJR :sick: not the best art but is very hard to find ;)

001_zps8f0e827e.jpg

Next is the Marvelmania Magazine 2 the true 1st art cover done by Barry W. Smith :cool:

013_zps54c798d2.jpg

1st. prototype of Conan is always good to have :)

IMG_0920.jpg

And finally this has to be my favorite Conan cover of all time :sumo: Nuff said !

IMG_0623.jpg

I Love this OSPG - it's on my list of books to get!