• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC shipped me Action Comics #1 Superman page, FedEx lost it, Help appreciated!
1 1

452 posts in this topic

I feel sorry for the OP, but I can't imagine shipping high-dollar items without being absolutely positive the items were insured. Yes, a literal page of history is now missing, but the money from the claim would help salve the burn.

But...this is what happens when you make assumptions about coverage or insurance. I suppose most of us have endured a pretty painful learning curve at some point, however.

:sorry:

Collectinsure and USPS registered mail are good places to start.

Please keep us informed. :wishluck:

When I first received the Action #1 page, the original slab was cracked badly. I was very distressed about this and immediately printed up a CGC submission form at the FedEx center that I had the page shipped to. I overlooked the note saying it would only cover up to $100 as I just assumed that it would be insured on CGC's end. I wouldn't think the option would be available if that's all that would be covered during return shipping.

I wish someone at CGC had called me to say "Hey, do you realize you selected a $100-insurance service on a $4,000 item?" I would have immediately asked for USPS, fully-insured instead.

OP: Have you gone to the FedEx office that you indicated it should be shipped to? I've had packages re-routed to the FedEx office that are sitting on the shelf, but have not been updated in the computer. If you haven't already done so, I'd go to the physical location and talk to the manager there, so they know they should look out for it.

(I've also had packages, once at the office, labelled for "Jennifer Li", rather than "Jeffrey Li" that's on the package. doh!

I wish someone at CGC had called me to say "Hey, do you realize you selected a $100-insurance service on a $4,000 item?" I would have immediately asked for USPS, fully-insured instead.

I think CGC is used to seeing this option with no additional insurance because many of us have private insurance like CIA. Not really a red flag.

I think CGC is used to seeing this option with no additional insurance because many of us have private insurance like CIA. Not really a red flag.

Not to mention that the submission form fairly clearly states your item is only covered for $100 ...

Not to mention that the submission form fairly clearly states your item is only covered for $100 ...

It does. And the oversight was my fault. I had a badly cracked slab with a brittle Action #1 page sitting there, not knowing if it would split in half if bumped the wrong way (the cracks were BAD). I spent a lot of time packing the page to send to CGC, but in the heat of everything, I didn't read the form closely enough. Words cannot express how much I regret that.

I just assumed it would be insured on CGC's end and that the option wouldn't be provided otherwise because it's so risky with extremely valuable packages. Someone mentioned the availability of the option for collectors who have their own private insurance. I don't and I didn't list a FedEx account number on the CGC submission form because I don't have a FedEx account.

Insurance ... i think someone here had insured an Avengers 1 USPS delivered in another adress and they didn´t paid the insurance

Best insurance is low profile, people who work at usps ups etc knows about comic books and comics are easy to steal , so stop telling them you are sending expensive comics and stop paying those big insurances because your "comic will be lost" and they will not pay you anything.

When i send an expensive comic book i send an "old magazine" and the cost is always less than $35 usd

You give out a lot of bad advice on this forum.

I feel your pain not as much money as you have in it but i had a $700 cgc 9.8 halloween book with jamie lee curtis and some other sigs on it get lost by usps and the last tracking on it said out for delivery but never got it.I went to the post office but they were no help but thankfully the seller was a friend on these boards who did give me another book and has hooked me up with getting some great signatures. Hope everything turns out for you.

OP: Have you gone to the FedEx office that you indicated it should be shipped to? I've had packages re-routed to the FedEx office that are sitting on the shelf, but have not been updated in the computer. If you haven't already done so, I'd go to the physical location and talk to the manager there, so they know they should look out for it.

(I've also had packages, once at the office, labelled for "Jennifer Li", rather than "Jeffrey Li" that's on the package. doh!

I have called the FedEx ship center that the package was shipped to multiple times, they haven't received anything with my name on it.

Another thing that I don't think anyone else mentioned is the possibility that the shipping label came off of the package at some point. It could've gotten to Memphis, the label got separated from the package and the tracking stopped dead there. I had that happen with a package once (post office, not Fedex) and they put me in touch with some facility that handled misplaced packages like that and I described the contents of the box in case they came across my books. They never turned up, but if there is a similar department with Fedex, it might not hurt to let someone there know that you're missing a CGC book and the label #.

Another thing that I don't think anyone else mentioned is the possibility that the shipping label came off of the package at some point. It could've gotten to Memphis, the label got separated from the package and the tracking stopped dead there. I had that happen with a package once (post office, not Fedex) and they put me in touch with some facility that handled misplaced packages like that and I described the contents of the box in case they came across my books. They never turned up, but if there is a similar department with Fedex, it might not hurt to let someone there know that you're missing a CGC book and the label #.

This possibility was mentioned to the OP when he called. The response he was given was less than reassuring. :(

I just got off the phone with FedEx, again.

The first person I spoke with, a customer service representative, went through their computer database to look through packages that had labels fall off, get burnt, etc. Their protocol, as I was told, is to then open the packages and document their contents. The service rep found nothing matching: "comic book", "comic page" or "CGC."

I asked to speak with the supervisor.

I was told that if one of their employees stumbled upon the contents of my package, and recognized what it was (a Superman page from the most valuable comic book in existence) and had the intent to steal, that the employee would have made "quite the haul." In short, it's possible it could have been stolen.

Although he stressed the fact that the package has only been unaccounted for since Monday, it is never reassuring to hear a supervisor acknowledge that one of their own employees could have taken it, much less, express that such a find would be "quite the haul."

Saturday morning and still no luck. The page has been unaccounted for since Monday evening. FedEx is conducting what they've said is a final search, but I'm growing more and more concerned by the day. What we do know is that it was scanned in in Memphis, TN. What we don't know is where it went since then. I've called the FedEx ship center it was shipped to, they're received nothing with my name on it. FedEx has yet to find anything in their system amongst packages that have been opened, contents documented, after labels fell off.

Where could my page be?

Stolen?

Fell off a conveyer belt? If that's the case, why have they not found it in 4+ days?

What else could have happened?

I had a $1500 page of art that I sold to someone go missing for a week, off the grid tracking and no one able to find it. It was a very large package. 20X14X2 or so, very hard to lose. It showed up in perfect shape and was not tampered with. It could have just fallen in a crack somewhere, slipped behind a counter, whatever. These things are delivered 99% of the time. I would of course be concerned but it is not hopeless.

I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone for their support and positive words of encouragement. This has been an absolute nightmare. You'd think after working all week, I'd be in good spirits, enjoying the weekend, but it's been nearly impossible not to have this on my mind. I constantly refresh the tracking info on my phone, hoping this time will be the time I see a big break, but it's always the same, with the last info stating it arrived in Memphis on Monday.

But to those who have been kind enough to reach out, I really do appreciate your support. It does help during this tough time.

Saturday morning and still no luck. The page has been unaccounted for since Monday evening. FedEx is conducting what they've said is a final search, but I'm growing more and more concerned by the day. What we do know is that it was scanned in in Memphis, TN. What we don't know is where it went since then. I've called the FedEx ship center it was shipped to, they're received nothing with my name on it. FedEx has yet to find anything in their system amongst packages that have been opened, contents documented, after labels fell off.

Where could my page be?

Stolen?

Fell off a conveyer belt? If that's the case, why have they not found it in 4+ days?

What else could have happened?

Well, they do move an enormous number of packages, so there any number of ways it could have been misplaced in one of the facilities it moved through.

Seems as if the only thing you can do at this point is to hope for the best and hang in there. My guess is that it will eventually turn up.

Willing to bet someone at Fed Ex saw the return address, recognized who sent it and then stole it.

Yeah, there is a good reason that Heritage puts "Ivy Press" as the return address on their packages.