• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

634 posts in this topic

2) Basil Wolverton. His work looks like underground comics from 30 years later - and not in a good way. (Hey, Jon, wanna start a thread about unpopular opinions about underground comix?) Especially Mad #11 - only the completist in me allowed me to buy such an unattractive comic.

Mad #11 is ugly, to be fair. But Wolverton really shines on sci-fi and horror stories.

To me it is ugly in a good way. (shrug)

But I guess that is why this thread is such a good idea. It is great to see these differences of opinion.

Edited by The-Collector

1) Fletcher Hanks. His facial drawings remind me of the Larson cartoon about the many moods of your Irish Setter. Except that Larson can draw.

the-many-moods-of-the-irish-setter.jpg

This was intended to be a non-judgemental thread. But that was before I knew how wrong you were going to be. :facepalm:

Pretty sure that's entrapment. :taptaptap:

I just don't get the whole "bondage cover" thing. (shrug)

Sexy cover = yay

Sexy cover on superhero book aimed at 10-year-old kids = insane

Hope this helps. :)

I just reexamined the books I posted and 90% of them have some sort of bondage in one way or another...It was a great way for the reader to be drawn in toward the book. "how are they gonna get out of this pickle?!!" so to speak. The fact that they were aimed at kids is a little spooky though but when read 10 cent plague they were specific that they were aimed at young adults as well. The funny animal stuff was there for the kids.

Someone had mentioned earlier about classic covers. I would love to see someone put a list together of books that are deemed, "classic" by either Overstreet and/or CGC and see what percentage of those contained bondage of some sort on its cover. hm

Either way I like it...draws me in...as was intended...maybe I need to see a shrink lol

Sexy cover = yay

Anybody who likes good girl art and bondage/ headlight covers has no taste at all!! :eyeroll:

I think it's an old man's collecting focus. Ask a young collector if they'd buy a book just because a girl on the cover had pointy breasts, and they'd probably look at you with disgust and pity! :baiting:

Oh, I don't understand people paying big money to collect Archie, either. DeCarlo art is fine, but what I read as a kid was cheesy, formulaic, and ultimately forgettable.

Sexy cover = yay

Anybody who likes good girl art and bondage/ headlight covers has no taste at all!! :eyeroll:

I think it's an old man's collecting focus. Ask a young collector if they'd buy a book just because a girl on the cover had pointy breasts, and they'd probably look at you with disgust and pity! :baiting:

Oh, I don't understand people paying big money to collect Archie, either. DeCarlo art is fine, but what I read as a kid was cheesy, formulaic, and ultimately forgettable.

Most of the gga collectors I know are in their 40's. Ancient, of course. doh!

I think the vast majority of books a young collector is buying have a headlights plus aspect to the cover. :baiting: The good girl art and the bondage covers of the 40's and early 50's actually have great historical interest and is a forerunner of what we see today in comic art. The horror, crime and gga is what brought about the CCA, so there is also an appreciation for what was taboo at the time. Like watching Mae West or Marilyn Monroe it is not the titillation of a Phantom Lady 23 or a Dagar 14 that fuels the collector base, but rather an appreciation for the expression of the form in a forum where it became banned.

Anyway, that is my "golden age opinion" as someone who is old enough to remember Fonzie but not so old as to attend a Beatles concert or have watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

I know there are headlight covers and I know there are bondage covers but are there any (many?) headlights in bondage covers and is that even worthy of its own classification? hm

I'm a big PCH fan but think Mister Mystery 12 is waaay overated.

Just a roughly drawn oversized eye and a hot poker.

Not a big fan of this cover, sorry! :fear:

yeah, it's a cool cover, but not one of the all time PCH classics IMHO.

Despite liking his earlier work for Timely and Centaur, I just do not like Everett's Atlas work. I feel like he was outdone by Heath and Maneely.

:o I think I'm not alone in thinking it was the peak of his career.

26202086893_7656f04f15_c.jpg

Killer 3.0! - give me a detached cover any day if it looks like that and I can get it for a 3.0 price!

Thanks brother!!! yeah me too!! I think I may have paid more than 3.0 price for it. Hard to tell though its just a tough book and I know I wasn't the only one chasing it. Very happy to lock it down it brings a smile to my face every time I see it!!

I know there are headlight covers and I know there are bondage covers but are there any (many?) headlights in bondage covers and is that even worthy of its own classification? hm

phantomlady170001.jpg

My unpopular opinion. Not a huge fan of Phantom 17. I guess it's more "titillating" than other Matt Baker covers. Nevertheless, I'll take Seven Seas 4 any day over P17.

Thanks Point Five for starting this post. And, I get it - the reason it's an "unpopular opinion thread" is by definition each of us has unpopular opinions relative to our fellow boardees. If most people agree with my unpopular opinion, then it is not unpopular.

Nice to share. (thumbs u

26202086893_7656f04f15_c.jpg

Killer 3.0! - give me a detached cover any day if it looks like that and I can get it for a 3.0 price!

Thanks brother!!! yeah me too!! I think I may have paid more than 3.0 price for it. Hard to tell though its just a tough book and I know I wasn't the only one chasing it. Very happy to lock it down it brings a smile to my face every time I see it!!

A classic cover for sure. I guess FMV on books like this is hard to pin down, they don't come up that often and early Ace books often sell for multiples of guide, with classic covers selling for multiples of multiples.

Maybe this will fly, maybe not. Let's give it a whirl:

-- I love classic precode horror covers, but for whatever reason I don't share the extreme love for Fight Against Crime #20 as reflected in its selling prices. To me the cover is more zany or goofy than horrific.

-- I don't enjoy looking at Jack Kirby's GA artwork. I respect that he's a founding father of the industry, but I just don't dig it at all.

-- For that matter, aside from the great Schomburg covers, I'm not a fan of GA Captain America either. If I'm going after GA patriotic heroes I prefer the MLJ Peps and Zips.

-- I'd rather have a bright, vividly-colored 1.5 GA book with a detached cover wrap than an 8.0 book with dulled colors but amazing structural soundness. (Not talking about *faded* books, which is an easier call... just books with naturally weak colors, like a good many Fiction House, Fox etc.)

OK, that's what I've got so far. Who's next? :taptaptap:

Definitely flew! :D

phantomlady170001.jpg

My unpopular opinion. Not a huge fan of Phantom 17. I guess it's more "titillating" than other Matt Baker covers. Nevertheless, I'll take Seven Seas 4 any day over P17.

And 14 times on Sunday!

What a great thread this turned out to be. :applause: Ok, here is other ones for me. I would take Adventure #73 over a #79. Tec #29 over # 31, Fantastic Comics#3 over Suspense #3.

Edited by PUNYHUMAN