• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Werewolf by Night 32
5 5

109 posts in this topic

Other than rumors of a Netflix series, can someone please explain why this is so hot?

And if you feel it will stay hot or are we seeing a momentary bubble?

Because Moon Knight has always been cool, some are just realizing the fact.

Other than rumors of a Netflix series, can someone please explain why this is so hot?

:shrug:

My best guess is that people have always felt MK is an underutilized character that will reemerge at some point.

So I guess basically what Oakman said is the simpler way to state it.

Not a bubble and the series talk as is the case with other characters- the usual superficial speculators and flippers initiate and maintain. Werewolf By Night 32 has evolved into a great Marvel Mid Bronze Age key. How many readers and collectors hoarded multiple high-grade copies of this run "filler" book? Before Moon Knight started to evolve into a more popular character? Marvel's post Giant-Size X-Men 1 - X-Men 94 Bronze Age period didn't quite match up with the creations that started in '70 with Conan. Moon Knight's creation is one of the highlights from that post Giant-Size X-Men/ X-Men 94 era. Marc Spector/Moon Knight is Marvel's Bruce Wayne/Batman-like Bronze Age superhero who didn't draw a great deal of interest until getting his own book in 1980. Never fear, the lack of creativity at the current House of Lack of Ideas will attempt to somehow redefine Moon Knight's gender, race, ethnic, or religion at some point. Given the fact that the current period of comic book diversity in no way represents the first age of the diversification of the superhero in comic book history that occurred in the '70s. The Bronze Age of Comic Book Diversity represented a wave of new creations for a more diverse universe of readers- original creations like Luke Cage, Shang Chi, John Stewart, Red Wolf, and the newly diverse X-Men team. The Bronze Age newer creations are a higher level of creativity the current House of Lack of Ideas can only dream of. Moon Knight followed the more traditional path for Marvel readers and collectors interested in continuing the successful supernatural-like creations and adaptations earlier in the decade: Man-Thing, Ghost Rider, Living Mummy, Dracula, & Werewolf By Night. Moon Knight was the last of these BA creations and not recognized among the great number of comic book readers until the '70s had come to an end. Agree with Oakman's characterization of Moon Knight being a cool character as another reason why WWBN 32 is a great key!

Best,

John

Far from a bubble...this book has been outpacing expectations for about 5 years now.

Jim

Since the 90's, I've always found that Ghost Rider and Werewolf get attention only when Wolverine's and Punisher's first appearances are particularly in demand. What follows is always a confirmation from the experts that bronze age books are relevant in the collecting community, and people go scrounging for whatever might be next in line.

Demand for high grade copies accounts for the prices. I've never found Spotlight 5 or WWNB 32 to be easy to find in high grade. Other suitors like Marvel Spotlight 32, Tomb of Dracula 10, or Hulk 271 don't have the the same bottleneck at the top. I'm sure someone will come back waving the census data any moment now to prove me wrong... :)

I've always loved Moon Knight even before his rise in popularity.

Especially loved when he battled Morpheus. :headbang:

Had a feeling he would eventually step from the shadows into the "Moon" Light :banana:

May be why I bought so many WBN 32 when an 8.0 was only $50 (thumbs u

So:

Speculating - maybe

Love the Character - definitely

Waiting for him to get even hotter - absolutely (and he will!)

Going to sell off my 9.6 - not likely

I've always loved Moon Knight even before his rise in popularity.

Especially loved when he battled Morpheus. :headbang:

Had a feeling he would eventually step from the shadows into the "Moon" Light :banana:

May be why I bought so many WBN 32 when an 8.0 was only $50 (thumbs u

So:

Speculating - maybe

Love the Character - definitely

Waiting for him to get even hotter - absolutely (and he will!)

Going to sell off my 9.6 - not likely

Most people couldn't part with a gem like that, even if they had one.

Whoever paid $14,550 for a 9.8 is a fool. They will never see that money back. I suspect they jumped on the character bandwagon and thought they would get in early. Investing based on possible appearances is high risk with no guarantee of return. This is especially true when considering that issues featuring characters that have (eg. Falcon) or will (Ms. Marvel, but looking more tenuous) appear in the MCU are not holding value.

Even Werewolf By Night, the host title for Moon Knight, commands little attention. The 1st issue and Marvel Spotlight #2 can still be purchased for a moderate price.

I believe the best investment was, is, and always will be the Silver Age. For $14,550 I can have several key SA issues.

Whoever paid $14,550 for a 9.8 is a fool. They will never see that money back. I suspect they jumped on the character bandwagon and thought they would get in early. Investing based on possible appearances is high risk with no guarantee of return. This is especially true when considering that issues featuring characters that have (eg. Falcon) or will (Ms. Marvel, but looking more tenuous) appear in the MCU are not holding value.

Even Werewolf By Night, the host title for Moon Knight, commands little attention. The 1st issue and Marvel Spotlight #2 can still be purchased for a moderate price.

I believe the best investment was, is, and always will be the Silver Age. For $14,550 I can have several key SA issues.

Or maybe the guy is a collector and just wanted a 9.8? Not every book I purchase is for the sole intent of reselling it. 2c

I think WWBN 32 is a solid book but for that kind of scratch I'm more down for a 9.8 IH 181 if we are talking about BA and not silver. Also I think ASM 129 has quite a bit of room left for growth.

I continue to be amazed at the gap in prices between 9.8 and 9.6 grades. FTR I don't have a WWBN 32 but will be shopping for a 9.2 or 9.4 in the near future which I will be pleased with.

Too many folks are getting priced out from obtaining a 9.8 and as a result those lesser tier grades will be in more demand IMO.

If folks want to get on the MK bandwagon Marvel Spotlight 28 has caught fire since 2014 and seen close to a 300% increase since. IMO it will crack 4 figures soon and maintain those levels of 1k+.

To each their own, and god bless folks who can lay out that type of cash.

I think WWBN 32 is a solid book but for that kind of scratch I'm more down for a 9.8 IH 181 if we are talking about BA and not silver. Also I think ASM 129 has quite a bit of room left for growth.

I continue to be amazed at the gap in prices between 9.8 and 9.6 grades. FTR I don't have a WWBN 32 but will be shopping for a 9.2 or 9.4 in the near future which I will be pleased with.

Too many folks are getting priced out from obtaining a 9.8 and as a result those lesser tier grades will be in more demand IMO.

If folks want to get on the MK bandwagon Marvel Spotlight 28 has caught fire since 2014 and seen close to a 300% increase since. IMO it will crack 4 figures soon and maintain those levels of 1k+.

To each their own, and god bless folks who can lay out that type of cash.

Excellent perspective. Hmmmmmm..... First appearance of Wolverine or Moon Knight in 9.8 for comparable prices. Yea, I'll take Hulk 181 ever single time even if 181 had a 1000/1 print run.

I don't really get why MS 28 has taken off to the extent that it has, given that's it's what, the 4th appearance of Moon Knight?

I don't really get why MS 28 has taken off to the extent that it has, given that's it's what, the 4th appearance of Moon Knight?

Third Marc Spector as MK. But I think the draw is that this is MK first solo story. There are some other 1st appearances such as his love interest Marlene. If there was ever to be a TV/movie adaptation she might make it in.