• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Werewolf by Night 32
5 5

109 posts in this topic

I'm showing all of the following published before MS 28

WBN 32

WBN 33

WBN 37

However, I suppose you're right that people are drawn to the first solo story

True, but his appearance in WWBN 37 is a conjuration of MK by a sorcerer not Marc Spector as MK. Splitting hairs a bit here but that's how we roll on the CGC boards. I think CGC does label as an actual appearance in 37 regardless of what folks that actually read the stories think so you are technically correct.

@Mijael: Why do you feel it's overpriced? (I'm asking sincerely)

The book is expensive as if the character was very well know & popular with a huge fan base but the reality is that If i go now outside and ask to 10 people if they know who is Moon Knight i will probably get 10 "No"´s for answer - on the other hand if i ask about Wolverine , Punisher ,Ghost Rider , story will be different. You have to be on the comic book milieu to know about Moon Knight .

Werewoolf by night 32 was a good investment some years ago but not now , to much money for a not very well know character , as an investor i have better options like ASM 129 (expensive but still has a lot of room to grow imo) , House of Secrets 92 , Ms. Marvel1 , Marvel spotlight 5 .

Thats my opinion

Edited by Mijael.Levy

@mijael: you certainly raise some valid arguments, but I think that it does have 2 things going for it that will buoy the price and continue "some" growth:

1. The possibility of a Netflix series and/or appearance. (I know it's pure speculation).

2. There is among comic book collectors (as you stated) a fundamental appreciation for the character. (This factor is more of a contributor to its growth, especially as SA books in high grade are pricing beyond the reach of most collectors. Additionally, this book is coming of age in terms of seeing demand among younger collectors who have fond memories of MK). Will it ever rival the big names? No, but it doesn't necessarily have to in order to appreciate in value.

@cryptodave most key´s comic books due to netflix or movie speculation go up in value , but the speculation price decreases when the show/ movie is close , see guardians of the galaxy , alias 1 , even star wars , only strong A class characters with a big fan base and a well know key book retains the value , Daredevil 1, ASM 129 , Avengers 1 etc.

When i want to invest on a book i always use benchmarks, hulk 181 and asm 129 are good bronze age benchmarks. If you compare GPA grade to grade WW32 vs Hulk 181 and ASM 129 you will see why i believe its overpriced , I am not saying its a bad character or a bad book , i am just saying i believe its a time to sell rather than buy

Edited by Mijael.Levy

@Mijael: OK I respect your analysis. But I have a question for you: if I take your theory to its logical conclusion, then that means no modern or possibly Bronze Age books will ever be true buy and hold books unless they are a "strong class A characters with a big fan base ..." which seems to preclude all modern and the vast majority of Bronze Age books.

On the other hand, while I agree that Netflix can give a temporary bump which may or may not last in terms of increasing a books value, what about the fact that as future collectors/investors mature they seek those books that harken back to their childhood.

If you were to come up with a "formula" for long term buy and hold (yes for investment purposes) what would it be?

Thanks

Dave

@Mijael: OK I respect your analysis. But I have a question for you: if I take your theory to its logical conclusion, then that means no modern or possibly Bronze Age books will ever be true buy and hold books unless they are a "strong class A characters with a big fan base ..." which seems to preclude all modern and the vast majority of Bronze Age books.

No Dave... i am saying that i just pay premium prices for: strong A class characters with a big fan base"

I am still buying and speculating on bronze age books like Marvel Premiere 15 that they dont have a strong A class character or a big fan base but since the book is still not expensive or overpriced i believe they have huge potential because the character is cool and movie/tv show will drive the price up to sell at the right time .

On the other hand, while I agree that Netflix can give a temporary bump which may or may not last in terms of increasing a books value, what about the fact that as future collectors/investors mature they seek those books that harken back to their childhood.

agree

If you were to come up with a "formula" for long term buy and hold (yes for investment purposes) what would it be?

hehe here we go again : "strong A class characters with a big fan base" if the book is scarce the better . If you believe Werewolf by night 32 is one then go for it but dont forget the benchmarks for example an ASM 129 9.0 CGC 90 days cost now is $1,314 and Werewolf by night 9.0 CGC 90 days is $1,204.

I rather invest and speculate now on: Ms Marvel , the Punisher , Conan , Iron Fist , Red Sonia , Ghost Rider etc

Personally I think Moon Knight is on par with Ghost Rider,Iron Fist, etc.

And WWBN is a great book, with a lot of potential.

For those of us that have been buying since in inception of the Bronze Age ... here's what I've seen happen over the past 30+ years to some of my favorite characters.

Wolverine .... Always had some cache, relatively cheap, then a continued climb and hot. Always able to find a copy in any grade I wanted.

Punisher 1st appearance easy to find. Relatively cheap, hot, then uuber hot then cold and now hot again. Pretty easy to come by.

Deathlock...loved him as a kid, Thought way cool....not as common as Asm 129 and had a hot period....still a ton of future room and undervalued.

Killraven ... Could be a very cool movie. Still undervalued and available. Easy to come by now with eBay and still cheap.

Black panther in jungle action, many killer issues but still cheap. Just now getting a bit of attention.

Others BA that were cool as a kid include ghost rider and he's had his day. Maybe a comeback could spike him again.

Shang shi was cool but martial arts have passed us by, iron fist has lots of potential but readily available, lone Kamandi's need a movie...., Luke cage boring with little exception, man thing was fun but just another swamp creature, HTD who doesn't love him but really...., Kazar always dead,

Son of Satan needs a good tie in, all those ealy marvel spotlight issues are undervalued.

Warlock. Always a favorite. We will see where he is led soon? Still room there.

Thanos. Always a favorite IM 55 but proven not to be that hard to get and be is a villain, but as a kid, that book stood out before values showed up.

Nomad cap 180. Still undervalued and as a kid I stood out...

Moon Knight...always loved the character image, background and rarely came across the early appearances and when I did they were always well worn. We're pretty inexpensive for a long time but not available. Now with the huge rise in value some are coming out, but really shouldn't the floodgates be let loose at these values in high grade....and yet still not too many out there. Whether you love him or hate him, most love him and some day we will all be wondering why they let the ship pass by. Can they still be found in the wild ...yes but not likely in 9.4+.

Lot more I could reminisce about but iPhone typing has my thumbs tired...

Nuff said naysayers

Moon knight and so many other bronze are just now getting truly recognized by the late baby boomers and start of Gen x generations and the race is on for securing gems in the collection.

I remember hearing and believing the BA book for over $3 was insane....

Personally I think Moon Knight is on par with Ghost Rider,Iron Fist, etc.

And WWBN is a great book, with a lot of potential.

For those of us that have been buying since in inception of the Bronze Age ... here's what I've seen happen over the past 30+ years to some of my favorite characters.

Wolverine .... Always had some cache, relatively cheap, then a continued climb and hot. Always able to find a copy in any grade I wanted.

Punisher 1st appearance easy to find. Relatively cheap, hot, then uuber hot then cold and now hot again. Pretty easy to come by.

Deathlock...loved him as a kid, Thought way cool....not as common as Asm 129 and had a hot period....still a ton of future room and undervalued.

Killraven ... Could be a very cool movie. Still undervalued and available. Easy to come by now with eBay and still cheap.

Black panther in jungle action, many killer issues but still cheap. Just now getting a bit of attention.

Others BA that were cool as a kid include ghost rider and he's had his day. Maybe a comeback could spike him again.

Shang shi was cool but martial arts have passed us by, iron fist has lots of potential but readily available, lone Kamandi's need a movie...., Luke cage boring with little exception, man thing was fun but just another swamp creature, HTD who doesn't love him but really...., Kazar always dead,

Son of Satan needs a good tie in, all those ealy marvel spotlight issues are undervalued.

Warlock. Always a favorite. We will see where he is led soon? Still room there.

Thanos. Always a favorite IM 55 but proven not to be that hard to get and be is a villain, but as a kid, that book stood out before values showed up.

Nomad cap 180. Still undervalued and as a kid I stood out...

Moon Knight...always loved the character image, background and rarely came across the early appearances and when I did they were always well worn. We're pretty inexpensive for a long time but not available. Now with the huge rise in value some are coming out, but really shouldn't the floodgates be let loose at these values in high grade....and yet still not too many out there. Whether you love him or hate him, most love him and some day we will all be wondering why they let the ship pass by. Can they still be found in the wild ...yes but not likely in 9.4+.

Lot more I could reminisce about but iPhone typing has my thumbs tired...

Nuff said naysayers

Moon knight and so many other bronze are just now getting truly recognized by the late baby boomers and start of Gen x generations and the race is on for securing gems in the collection.

I remember hearing and believing the BA book for over $3 was insane....

Great post. A lot of food for thought here. hm

Uhhhhh....this book is no rarer in "high grade" than any other BA book from the period.

The difference is, many of the real keys from the period have been selling for thousands in slabbed high grade for nearly 20 years.

And this book has been speculated heavy on for all of the last 20 months based on pretty much just the non-stop (and already debunked) rumour of a Netflix show that will likely never come. And anyone paying exorbitant prices for this book based on "what the census looks like now" is playing a fool's game that's been played and lost many times before (even with Hulk 181). Nothing in the Bronze Age is "rare", "tough to find 'in grade'" etc. Unless you're talking about price variant or NDS/MJ insert copies.

Period.

-J.

Uhhhhh....this book is no rarer in "high grade" than any other BA book from the period.

The difference is, many of the real keys from the period have been selling for thousands in slabbed high grade for nearly 20 years.

And this book has been speculated heavy on for all of the last 20 months based on pretty much just the non-stop (and already debunked) rumour of a Netflix show that will likely never come. And anyone paying exorbitant prices for this book based on "what the census looks like now" is playing a fool's game that's been played and lost many times before (even with Hulk 181). Nothing in the Bronze Age is "rare", "tough to find 'in grade'" etc. Unless you're talking about price variant or NDS/MJ insert copies.

Period.

-J.

Just like those"rare" modern variants? :roflmao:

I would much rather have a WWBN 32, than a Del Otto variant. :whistle:

Period.

-J.

Just like those"rare" modern variants? :roflmao:

I would much rather have a WWBN 32, than a Del Otto variant. :whistle:

Apples and oranges. :sumo:

Bringing up a modern variant with deliberately manufactured rarity to rationalize the prices being paid for a book that never was intended to be, nor is "rare" is a non-sequitur.

-J.

Rare is term I don't use for bronze. Less common is a good term. Rare in High grade for bronze doesn't even work for me but some are much less common.

I hope for all those that really love moon knight that there are thousands of 9.4+ copies in long boxes waiting to be slabbed. I just haven't got them.

Warning ...unpopular perception following:

Even those "rare" 35 cent variants have more than enough copies for those that care, but I'm sure a few hoarders already know that.

I think WWBN 32 is a solid book but for that kind of scratch I'm more down for a 9.8 IH 181 if we are talking about BA and not silver. Also I think ASM 129 has quite a bit of room left for growth.

I continue to be amazed at the gap in prices between 9.8 and 9.6 grades. FTR I don't have a WWBN 32 but will be shopping for a 9.2 or 9.4 in the near future which I will be pleased with.

Too many folks are getting priced out from obtaining a 9.8 and as a result those lesser tier grades will be in more demand IMO.

If folks want to get on the MK bandwagon Marvel Spotlight 28 has caught fire since 2014 and seen close to a 300% increase since. IMO it will crack 4 figures soon and maintain those levels of 1k+.

To each their own, and god bless folks who can lay out that type of cash.

Excellent perspective. Hmmmmmm..... First appearance of Wolverine or Moon Knight in 9.8 for comparable prices. Yea, I'll take Hulk 181 ever single time even if 181 had a 1000/1 print run.

There you go. For Bronze, you csn't go past AM129, GS X-M1 & this gem.