• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,138 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Vince G said:

I believe it was in the January MCS auction that a CGC 6.5 copy sold for a shade over 700.  Crazy what's going on with prices these days. 

A CGC 6.5 sold for $959 on March 7th on ebay. Heck, a 7.5 just sold for $1,850 last week. That is mind boggling. 

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

We may need to allow for the fact at least some of the bidders were figuring on Line Star's notorious tendency to undergrade.  But your general statement is probably correct.

True, but I think that copy was graded accurately.  Too many stress lines, in my opinion, to get into 6.5 or 7.0 territory.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

We may need to allow for the fact at least some of the bidders were figuring on Line Star's notorious tendency to undergrade.  But your general statement is probably correct.

Agree. A raw MCS 6.0 is generally assumed to be a CGC 7.0-7.5 (for example). 

18 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

GPA bunker buster on this Vampi #1 CGC 9.0 WHITE last night on Comic Connect... $3.9K :whatthe:

image.thumb.png.9fa97141282116e384c06dc5dedc0c3b.png

-

image.thumb.png.25e1c7bb751973164cfa65be055f13c4.png

A 9.0 sold recently on Clink for about that much too. It did have excellent eye appeal, though. The title IS still being published to this day... I became interested because my 30 year old nephew is quite a fan.  GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, wombat said:

A CGC 6.5 sold for $959 on March 7th on ebay. Heck, a 7.5 just sold for $1,850 last week. That is mind boggling. 

For now, gone are the incremental increases we used to see with keys.  Now, all the increases are exponential.  And to think, I thought 6k was too much to pay for a 9.0 copy of Hulk 181 in January doh!

7 hours ago, wombat said:

If a raw Vampi 6.0 sold for $915 a CGC 6.5 should be at least a $1,000, right?

At least.  One of the reasons I posted the actual scan was to show that it's a pretty tough looking 6.0.  The MCS under grading factor is increasingly less and less but the reputation keeps some people buying with the assumption that it's nicer than their numerical assignment.  By contrast, the Eerie 23 looked very nice for a 7.0.

Believe it or not, I think these things all have room to move further upward.  When people are spending 5-6k for an Amazing Spider-man 300 (when there are over a thousand certified 9.8s and thousands of certified 9.6s), then it's just a matter of time until they figure out how undervalued magazines are.

In case, anyone is interested, here's a snapshot of the current census for Vampirella 1 (thanks to @valiantman for your truly excellent resource, cgcdata.com).  If it's hard to read, it should be easier clicking on the image.

466707447_ScreenShot2021-04-15at4_27_24PM.thumb.png.2d1aba470abdd2c1ef72c40a137a782d.png

10 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

At least.  One of the reasons I posted the actual scan was to show that it's a pretty tough looking 6.0.  The MCS under grading factor is increasingly less and less but the reputation keeps some people buying with the assumption that it's nicer than their numerical assignment.  By contrast, the Eerie 23 looked very nice for a 7.0.

Believe it or not, I think these things all have room to move further upward.  When people are spending 5-6k for an Amazing Spider-man 300 (when there are over a thousand certified 9.8s and thousands of certified 9.6s), then it's just a matter of time until they figure out how undervalued magazines are.

In case, anyone is interested, here's a snapshot of the current census for Vampirella 1 (thanks to @valiantman for your truly excellent resource, cgcdata.com).  If it's hard to read, it should be easier clicking on the image.

466707447_ScreenShot2021-04-15at4_27_24PM.thumb.png.2d1aba470abdd2c1ef72c40a137a782d.png

Agreed on the grading.  The raw Vampi 1 seems to be graded on point.  On a bad day at CGC, it's a 5.5.  Lots of stress on that spine.  And also correct that the Eerie 23 is undergraded likely by at least 1/2, maybe a full point.  It presents extremely well, particularly for a black cover, and no doubt was reflected in the final sale price.  I've been buying raw books on mcs for the past decade and in most cases, they do grade conservatively.  However, I always zoom the front and back scans, which are more than adequate for identifying the defects on most books and deciding on how accurate their assigned grade is.

41 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yes, @Hamlet and I were just discussing this.  Increasingly, I'm priced out of the market on any number of eras or genres in comic books.  Want to collect the Miller Daredevils?  Be ready to cough up a kidney for #169.  Want to collect Crime Suspenstories?  Prepare to sell one of your children for a decent copy of #22.

The number of books that were once easily accessible and reasonably priced is quickly fading in the rearview.  It's driven me to other collectibles because if I wasn't interested in buying a comic 10 years ago for $50, I'm definitely not interested in buying it today for $1000.  

Thankfully, there are still many, many great values in magazines but I don't think it will stay that way for long.  2c

That's where I've been focusing my attention recently.  Mags have always been undervalued in my opinion, but based on the current trend upward, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in soon enough. 

6 minutes ago, Vince G said:

That's where I've been focusing my attention recently.  Mags have always been undervalued in my opinion, but based on the current trend upward, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in soon enough. 

I was recently outbid on a lot of 39 issues of WEIRD. The final hammer averaged out to almost 50 bucks per, with the average grade stated as VF. This was at Heritage so the grade is likely correct. My bid was around 35 per, and I thought that was a slam dunk. GOD BLESS...

22 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Speaking of undervalued magazines...

Warrior Magazine #1 is still criminally undervalued , first V for Vendetta, First Miracleman. 

Absolutely ... I'm looking for the right copy in VF or so without the poor PQ that many have. I don't see tons but I don't search eBay much. GOD BLESS...

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Looks like when you get into 9.2- 9.8 the census drops, and the price escalates. 

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Absolutely ... I'm looking for the right copy in VF or so without the poor PQ that many have. I don't see tons but I don't search eBay much. GOD BLESS...

IMG_20200615_234310.thumb.jpg.2d7fa45f7cf30b64f6b5919ec4bc2d51.jpg

Took me a year plus to hunt down the right one.:luhv:

Edited by Lurker89

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

IMG_20200615_234310.thumb.jpg.2d7fa45f7cf30b64f6b5919ec4bc2d51.jpg

Took me a year plus to hunt down y right one.:luhv:

If that were mine, I'd be done ... no more hunting for an upgrade. It 's also a key where the cover is worthy. GOD BLESS....

... in today's market, that would take 2K or more to bag it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

On 4/15/2021 at 3:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Yes, @Hamlet and I were just discussing this.  Increasingly, I'm priced out of the market on any number of eras or genres in comic books.  Want to collect the Miller Daredevils?  Be ready to cough up a kidney for #169.  Want to collect Crime Suspenstories?  Prepare to sell one of your children for a decent copy of #22.

The number of books that were once easily accessible and reasonably priced is quickly fading in the rearview.  It's driven me to other collectibles because if I wasn't interested in buying a comic 10 years ago for $50, I'm definitely not interested in buying it today for $1000.  

Thankfully, there are still many, many great values in magazines but I don't think it will stay that way for long.  2c

This past year has been unusually weird in a number of things. The past year has seen a extreme increase not just in the comics market but collectibles in general. The crazy prices are not confined to comic books although I’m thinking a number of collectors with narrow interests might be seeing it that way. Real estate where I’m at is just as crazy in prices and apparently if you watch the news it’s happening in a lot of places. I’ve owned all the key Marvels for the most part for decades now and have dupes on several and this market has been very tempting to sell. Fortunately I don’t need to so I can just watch from the sidelines with it all but I’m damn curious where it all ends up in a few years, up or down again. Just about everything seems hot these days so nothing is surprising...