• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

@Randall Dowling hit the big points 👏👏👏

Re-emphasizing a few things. Skywalds and Eerie Pubs are NOTORIOUS for having finger prints. It’s a combo of the usually black back covers and cheap ink on the backs. 

I wasn’t alive when they were being distributed, but I’ve always heard that the distribution was not as wide as Marvel or Warren. Thus many markets simply didn’t have them. 

I’m curious to hear from those that remember seeing them on the store shelves. Where were you buying them? And in what region? For example I feel like the Eerie Pubs were more common in Gas Stations and Convenience Stores when found hm

On 12/13/2021 at 1:49 AM, bounty_coder said:

@Randall Dowling hit the big points 👏👏👏

Re-emphasizing a few things. Skywalds and Eerie Pubs are NOTORIOUS for having finger prints. It’s a combo of the usually black back covers and cheap ink on the backs. 

I wasn’t alive when they were being distributed, but I’ve always heard that the distribution was not as wide as Marvel or Warren. Thus many markets simply didn’t have them. 

I’m curious to hear from those that remember seeing them on the store shelves. Where were you buying them? And in what region? For example I feel like the Eerie Pubs were more common in Gas Stations and Convenience Stores when found hm

In my town, Skywalds and Eerie Publications mags were spotty at best. Usually the only places I could find them were the local drug stores, but one of the sporting goods stores had a magazine rack that catered to the more adult and offbeat titles, and occasionally I would see them there.

From what I remember, Marvel was ultimately responsible for ending the smaller magazine publishers due to their ability to flood the market with product in the early to mid 1970's...

On 12/12/2021 at 11:16 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Others can chime and feel free to clarify/correct me, but my understanding of the census reflects the following factors:

• Skywald was a "me too" company in many ways in that they were following a few years after Warren had established itself.  I think part of the motivation for starting the magazines was based upon a period at Warren when the quality of material dropped substantially and they saw an opportunity to upend their position.  
  • As such, their initial print runs were a bit more substantial but nowhere near the runs for Marvels and Warrens.  Later the print runs would drop substantially as they found their market position and Warren caught it's next wave with the Spanish Invasion and took off again.
  • Even though the covers were well done, the interiors were substantially less in quality from other material, another reason for comparatively lower demand and print runs.
  • By the end of the runs, as with all companies at the end of their life, cashflow becomes an issue and you start trying to cut costs to stay afloat.  One of the ways publishers do that is by using cheaper printing materials, cheaper printers, cheaper content creators, etc.  By the time Nightmare 20 was getting produced, they were pretty much done (last issue was 23).  

All of these factors contributed to magazines that had lower print runs, were collected less for decades, and had cover stocks that are more easily damaged.  There are certain common flaws in the later issues like staple tears at the top staple (or at least stress there).  So, the result is that Nightmare 20 would be a tough book no matter what, but on top of all that, it's John Byrne's first published work and so there are non-magazine Byrne fanatics that have copies as well.  Current census is 10 copies with (1) 9.4, (1) 9.2, (1) 9.0, and (2) 8.5s.  And that's after 20 years of some very dedicated magazine collectors trying to get the absolute best copy in a 9.8 or a 9.6.  

I'm not saying that they aren't out there.  But the best I've ever seen in person was probably a 9.0.  And I'm kind of a Byrne fanatic...

Well said, my friend.

To be honest, the earlier Skywald mags are the only ones I remember seeing on the stands. By 1973 or 1974 they were practically non-existent in my region...  

On 12/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, The Lions Den said:

To be honest, the earlier Skywald mags are the only ones I remember seeing on the stands. By 1973 or 1974 they were practically non-existent in my region...  

likewise. In fact I remember seeing Nightmare and Psycho at around issues 3-4 at first and my store stopped carrying them before the final issues came out. However, Scream came out later and I remember being blown away when I saw that dark purple cover to number 1 on the rack!

On 12/22/2021 at 1:37 AM, Stevemmg said:

The Eerie is the first and only one in 9.8, but I would have expected this to be a $500 mag.  I have the lone 9.6. Marvel Preview 2 has been on the rise, but this is a record by a long shot. It was a $900 book 14 months ago. 

Yeah! I think it is the 9.8 factor, similar thing going on with 9.8 comics.