• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,138 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, ThothAmon said:
On 12/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, wombat said:

$10,500 with the juice. Basically double current GPA for the signature. While I love all the FF FF covers it won’t be me. 

$19,800 with the juice. 

On 1/15/2022 at 8:10 AM, wombat said:
On 12/11/2021 at 7:40 AM, ThothAmon said:
On 12/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, wombat said:
Expand  

$10,500 with the juice. Basically double current GPA for the signature. While I love all the FF FF covers it won’t be me. 

Expand  

$19,800 with the juice. 

Since I am too lazy to type out my response here, I'll simply repost something which I had posted in another thread earlier today:  (thumbsu

On 1/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if it's the signature which I somehow doubt as this copy sold for a rather astounding $19,800 when another equivalent CGC 9.0 graded copy had sold for only $5,040 at the beginning of 2021 and with CGC 9.4 graded copies selling into the $7K's price range during the previous 2 years.  Looks like the only other 2 Frazetta Famous Funnies covers to hit 5-figures were the CGC 8.0 graded copy of FF 212 and also the CGC 7.5 graded copy of FF 215 which sold for $19,200 and $11,400 respectively, with both of them being sold in Heritage's last Signature Auction only a short couple months ago.  Especially nice is to see these prices being fetched for reasonable condition copies that are far from the highest grades.  :applause:

With these kinds of results on some of his Famous Funnies covers, it makes me wonder what kind of prices we could see if copies of either FF 213 or FF214 in nice grade comes up for auction, especially since I consider those two covers to be the high water mark of his Famous Funnies run and a run which even he himself said:  (thumbsu  :cloud9:  :takeit:

"All I know is that I was very pleased with those Famous Funnies covers; they are me at my very best."

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/1/2022 at 1:25 PM, Stevemmg said:

It didn't sell at 36k.  They're asking 40k for it now.  

1568871681_ScreenShot2022-01-17at12_51_42PM.thumb.png.930ac414680c51c2f35cd0b27e1c596c.png

On 11/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, pickycollector said:

Wow, the last GPA price for a 9.8 was $8,980 in July 2021, I wonder now what a 9.6 would sell for today 

Well, looks like the answer to your question is right here based upon this past weekend's Heritage Auction result:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/magazines/adventure/savage-tales-1-marvel-1971-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7266-97357.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Magazines:Adventure, Savage Tales #1 (Marvel, 1971) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Although it looks like a relatively strong price at $4,800 with the BP juice, it's still only a small fraction of the $37,200 where the CGC 9.8 graded copy finished up at back in November and it's also close to $1K less than what an equivalent graded CGC 9.6 had sold for back in August at $5,760.  hm  (shrug)

On 1/17/2022 at 5:14 PM, dover said:

I have spent the last year being impressed by just how much money people have to spend. I have also spent the last year being mystified in equal levels. I am just struggling to come to terms with new pricing levels. Great books, beautiful copies but at these prices my collection would have (3) books in it rather than 100s and I am happier with 100's.

Struggling with those same questions.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, Joshua33 said:
On 1/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, Randall Dowling said:

It didn't sell at 36k.  They're asking 40k for it now.  

1568871681_ScreenShot2022-01-17at12_51_42PM.thumb.png.930ac414680c51c2f35cd0b27e1c596c.png

Expand  

When your price is too high and it doesn't sell... raise it!!!

On 1/17/2022 at 8:47 PM, batmiesta said:

What a Tool. meh

Not necessarily the case as it sounds as though some of you haven't been keeping up with some of the recent auction results threads here.  :gossip:

Seems that there's been some cases where books have not sold at the BIN price on an eBay auction offering, but when equivalent graded copies are auctioned off on the major auction platforms, they end up selling for multiples of the eBay BIN asking price.  :takeit:  :banana:  :whee:

On 1/17/2022 at 10:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Not necessarily the case as it sounds as though some of you haven't been keeping up with some of the recent auction results threads here.  :gossip:

Seems that there's been some cases where books have not sold at the BIN price on an eBay auction offering, but when equivalent graded copies are auctioned off on the major auction platforms, they end up selling for multiples of the eBay BIN asking price.  :takeit:  :banana:  :whee:

Although, you are correct that this has happened, I'm fairly confident those days are finally over. 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:21 PM, Joshua33 said:

Although, you are correct that this has happened, I'm fairly confident those days are finally over. 

I wouldn't necessarily say so because deep pocketed bidders who are busy making money to fund their extravagant spending don't tend to bother wasting their time scouring through the millions of random listings on eBay on a daily basis to see if something just might suit their fancy.  :p

They would much rather simply go to a high end comic book auction website every couple of months that's been designed and laid out to make it fast and easy for potential bidders to scroll through their area of interest.  (thumbsu

On 1/18/2022 at 12:30 AM, lou_fine said:

I wouldn't necessarily say so because deep pocketed bidders who are busy making money to fund their extravagant spending don't tend to bother wasting their time scouring through the millions of random listings on eBay on a daily basis to see if something just might suit their fancy.  :p

They would much rather simply go to a high end comic book auction website every couple of months that's been designed and laid out to make it fast and easy for potential bidders to scroll through their area of interest.  (thumbsu

Agree with this as well. My guess is that record breaking prices on every book, every auction subsides... even at HA, starting now.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:30 AM, Joshua33 said:

Agree with this as well. My guess is that record breaking prices on every book, every auction subsides... even at HA, starting now.

Sounds as though you are saying that prices for vintage collectible comic books will either be plateauing or falling from current levels going forward, and if so, what is your rationale for this?  ???

On 1/18/2022 at 9:05 AM, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you are saying that prices for vintage collectible comic books will either be plateauing or falling from current levels going forward, and if so, what is your rationale for this?  ???

The extremely high levels of inflation and printing money were the root cause of a lot of these book prices rising so rapidly, from ALREADY record heights 2 years ago. Mix that in with people staying at home and you have a perfect recipe for the current status quo. When this pandemic first struck, I was the contrarian in the thread that nearly everybody else stated book values would plummet in. I figured, with so much monopoly money on the streets, book prices would stay high, or climb.

Fast forward to today... much of that monopoly money is still on the streets, which brings me to the point... 

If all that money remains, why will prices stagnate and soon decline? I don't think the demand will subside all that much, so, high prices stick around right?

The reason I'm on the Debbie Downer wagon now is this... that printing of monopoly money has finally come home to roost. Inflation is so bad that now that monopoly money no longer goes as far as it used to. With a single bag trip to the grocery store costing an average of over $100 dollars and the average cost of most household goods, transportation, luxuries, etc. almost tripling... there will be less money to spend on books. Couple that with the impending rate hikes coming down the pipeline... you now have a recipe for some painful financial days ahead for a lot of people.

So... will there be ultra rare expensive books break more multi million dollar records this year? Probably, if the right books are offered. People that can afford those books are pretty much economy proof and usually live by the philosophy "the best time to buy something is when you see it". 

For the rest of us, the days where auction houses are breaking records every day, on every key comic, regardless of grade or rarity... I think are over. I say good riddance!!!

On 1/17/2022 at 11:47 PM, batmiesta said:

What a Tool. meh

Back when I did a lot of fixed price listings on Clink, if someone made a low ball offer of , say, 50%, I would increase my price by 20%. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu