• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 9:27 AM, Joshua33 said:

The extremely high levels of inflation and printing money were the root cause of a lot of these book prices rising so rapidly, from ALREADY record heights 2 years ago. Mix that in with people staying at home and you have a perfect recipe for the current status quo. When this pandemic first struck, I was the contrarian in the thread that nearly everybody else stated book values would plummet in. I figured, with so much monopoly money on the streets, book prices would stay high, or climb.

Fast forward to today... much of that monopoly money is still on the streets, which brings me to the point... 

If all that money remains, why will prices stagnate and soon decline? I don't think the demand will subside all that much, so, high prices stick around right?

The reason I'm on the Debbie Downer wagon now is this... that printing of monopoly money has finally come home to roost. Inflation is so bad that now that monopoly money no longer goes as far as it used to. With a single bag trip to the grocery store costing an average of over $100 dollars and the average cost of most household goods, transportation, luxuries, etc. almost tripling... there will be less money to spend on books. Couple that with the impending rate hikes coming down the pipeline... you now have a recipe for

some painful financial days ahead for a lot of people.

So... will there be ultra rare expensive books break more multi million dollar records this year? Probably, if the right books are offered. People that can afford those books are pretty much economy proof and usually live by the philosophy "the best time to buy something is when you see it". 

For the rest of us, the days where auction houses are breaking records every day, on every key comic, regardless of grade or rarity... I think are over. I say good riddance!!!

I was thinking that it might have had something to do with how well the equity stock markets had performed since that short but very steep steep drop the markets had taken when they first heard about the Coronavirus back in February and March of 2020.  Since that initial scare until the past few months it was relatively easy to make fast money in the equity markets and also in the crypto currencies, and I figured some of the money going into collectibles were coming from speculators and day traders who were able to cash in on some of this rapid rise in the markets and deploy it into collectibles.  hm  (shrug)

Of course, as we all know, the equity markets have taken a severe spanking over the past few months even though this might not be that evident with the indicies still near record highs as they were being buoyed by mostly the big boys who have fallen to a much lesser extent.  Especially when you take a look at some of the biggest growth winners during the pandemic and many of their stock prices are actually down anywhere from 50% to 80% from their recent highs.  Hence, my thinking is that with substantially less easy money out there (and in fact a whole ton of losses) there would be less money to put into the comic books and other collectibles going forward.  :(

On the other hand, for the investors who were wise enough to see this big drop coming as all of the talking heads on CNBC had been blowing off about it endlessly :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah: during the past few months, and had cashed out in time they just might have a lot of excess cash on hand.  In this case then, some of them might just want to deploy their money into vintage collectible comic books or other collectibles instead of back into the equity markets which seems to be embarking into a very volatile and relatively risky time period in the short term.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

In the Comiclink auction I was watching a Vampirella 7 9.2 that went for $595. I looked at recent Heritage auctions and there was a 9.4 in March 2021 that was $240 and a 9.0 in February 20 for $71. This is a great Frazetta cover and I wonder if the prices of these are going up this much or is this just a one time result? I just started and I may have missed the boat with the better Frazetta covers. I was looking at trying for a collection of 8.5-9.0.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:32 AM, horrorfan said:

In the Comiclink auction I was watching a Vampirella 7 9.2 that went for $595. I looked at recent Heritage auctions and there was a 9.4 in March 2021 that was $240 and a 9.0 in February 20 for $71. This is a great Frazetta cover and I wonder if the prices of these are going up this much or is this just a one time result? I just started and I may have missed the boat with the better Frazetta covers. I was looking at trying for a collection of 8.5-9.0.

I actually bid earlier on that mag. Had a max price that was much lower than $595. Next increment was $645 and thought about it but backed out. Just felt I was reaching on that but 🤷🏻

Not sure if it’s a general trend up or a few of us new buyers trying to get some Frazetta covers. 

On 1/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, Gregd said:

I actually bid earlier on that mag. Had a max price that was much lower than $595. Next increment was $645 and thought about it but backed out. Just felt I was reaching on that but 🤷🏻

Not sure if it’s a general trend up or a few of us new buyers trying to get some Frazetta covers. 

It'll be interested to see if the Frazetta covers start selling for premiums, particularly after the Eerie 23 buzz around this time last year.  Maybe people are starting to catch onto mags, particularly Frazetta books?

On 1/23/2022 at 2:47 PM, Vince G said:

I haven't even tried going after 9.0s and up.  I figured a sold mid to upper mid grade collection of raw Warren Frazettas was a better option than trying to hunt down high grade copies.  Spent the last 10 months working on it.  Just missing a couple now.

My strategy exactly, I have most of them in 6.0-8.0 and have tried to be patient as jimjum12 has said and upgrade when I find a deal 

This has got to be a record for Hulk Magazine 13 9.8 $1475.

1st Bill Sienkiewicz Moon Knight

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334272424014?hash=item4dd430684e:g:-hYAAOSwIblhzM1S

The next issue 14 is a cool black cover which I've been trying to find above 9.2.

Edited by Rip

On 2/1/2022 at 3:11 PM, Rip said:

This has got to be a record for Hulk Magazine 13 9.8 $1475.

1st Bill Sienkiewicz Moon Knight

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334272424014?hash=item4dd430684e:g:-hYAAOSwIblhzM1S

The next issue 14 is a cool black cover which I've been trying to find above 9.2.

Not quite,this one on Clink went for $1700.

Hulk #13 9.8