• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2022 at 8:43 AM, batmiesta said:

One 9.6 and five 9.4's so I think it was pretty low when you think of some crazy prices much lesser books are realizing. 

So you’re saying I missed out on a deal…need to dust off my delorean - crud 

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 4/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, Randall Dowling said:

1. Vampirella 1, CGC 9.6, $25,000, 30 November 2021 (CGC Boards)
  2. Vampirella 1, CGC 9.4, $13,145, 3 March 2022 (CL)

Based on these recent sales, would it be fair to peg Vampirella 1 CGC 9.2 at around $10k if one gets auctioned today?

On 4/28/2022 at 8:54 PM, Escaflown41 said:

Based on these recent sales, would it be fair to peg Vampirella 1 CGC 9.2 at around $10k if one gets auctioned today?

I would probably peg it closer to $8k but who knows?  I'm looking forward to seeing the next sale as another data point.  (thumbsu

On 4/28/2022 at 10:24 PM, Joshua33 said:

Agree.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:07 PM, oakman29 said:

I'm thinking Vampirella #1's in cgc 9.2 will run in the 9-10K  range. Then again I am a bit biased.

You guys may be right.  I'm more of a "supply and demand" guy (not that it makes any sense in today's market) and here's what the latest census looks like.  More than a few 9.2s out there.

1411119595_ScreenShot2022-04-28at10_27_49PM.thumb.png.51ee46a7c800584beafdc92eae38b850.png

My guess would be that a 9.2 would go for $8kish and a 9.0 would sell for $6k, an 8.5- $5k.  This after an 8.0 sold on eBay recently for around $3,800.  I tend to think that as grades approach the top, the curve is somewhat asymptotic.  But again, I could be way off.  Maybe a 9.6 would sell for $35k now.  We won't know until there's another one sold.

There is someone asking $8k for a 9.0 on eBay right now (BIN or BO).  Will have to watch and see if it sells.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:39 PM, Randall Dowling said:

You guys may be right.  I'm more of a "supply and demand" guy (not that it makes any sense in today's market) and here's what the latest census looks like.  More than a few 9.2s out there.

1411119595_ScreenShot2022-04-28at10_27_49PM.thumb.png.51ee46a7c800584beafdc92eae38b850.png

My guess would be that a 9.2 would go for $8kish and a 9.0 would sell for $6k, an 8.5- $5k.  This after an 8.0 sold on eBay recently for around $3,800.  I tend to think that as grades approach the top, the curve is somewhat asymptotic.  But again, I could be way off.  Maybe a 9.6 would sell for $35k now.  We won't know until there's another one sold.

There is someone asking $8k for a 9.0 on eBay right now (BIN or BO).  Will have to watch and see if 

You are probably right Douglas, but 9.2 is where the census drops to a much lower number.  I'm sure you have your ear closer to the grindstone than I. 

On 4/28/2022 at 8:39 PM, Randall Dowling said:

There is someone asking $8k for a 9.0 on eBay right now (BIN or BO).  Will have to watch and see if it sells.

Still, for books from that era, and as popular as it is 70 copies in NM- or better is a very small population, comparatively speaking. 

On 4/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

A nice looking 7.5 Vampi 1 went for $1650 on clink tonight.  Almost bid because I felt it looked undergraded, but the lack of a back cover scan made me stay away.

Seems like a good price for grade anyway. I think the last 6.5 sold close to that.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:49 PM, Joshua33 said:

Still, for books from that era, and as popular as it is 70 copies in NM- or better is a very small population, comparatively speaking. 

It absolutely is, compared to say Green Lantern 76 (150ish copies) or Tomb of Dracula 10 (750ish copies) or any other major books of that same time period.  Which would absolutely justify stronger prices.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:

It absolutely is, compared to say Green Lantern 76 (150ish copies) or Tomb of Dracula 10 (750ish copies) or any other major books of that same time period.  Which would absolutely justify stronger prices.

Exactly, House of Secrets 92 and other first appearances from around that time period come to mind. It's a pitch black book, tough in grade... first appearance of an off brand anti hero, with a cult following for the cover artist. Yet, there are still double the copies of HOS 92 on census at 140. Last 9.2 did 7k recently but the one at Heritage (ending Sunday) seems poised to beat that. 

Has always seemed to me that Vampirella, with Frazetta for the cover artist, #1 issue in the run, and first appearance of a staple bad girl like Vampi, is poised for much more growth than her competitors. Undervalued to be sure. Wish I would have kept all my duplicates.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:09 AM, Joshua33 said:

Has always seemed to me that Vampirella, with Frazetta for the cover artist, #1 issue in the run, and first appearance of a staple bad girl like Vampi, is poised for much more growth than her competitors. Undervalued to be sure. Wish I would have kept all my duplicates.

I definitely agree with this.  There's so much going for Vampirella #1 that even with the price spike since the start of the pandemic, I still feel the book is undervalued.  Vampirella is iconic and has a pretty strong following.  There's definitely a lot of room for this book to grow.  I always see this book as the AF15 equivalent for magazines.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Escaflown41 said:

I definitely agree with this.  There's so much going for Vampirella #1 that even with the price spike since the start of the pandemic, I still feel the book is undervalued.  Vampirella is iconic and has a pretty strong following.  There's definitely a lot of room for this book to grow.  I always see this book as the AF15 equivalent for magazines.

I seem to remember that @oakman29 calls it the Action 1 of mags.  It's definitely (in my mind) the most important magazine.  Much more so than Savage Tales 1 or any others.  But I'm extremely biased.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:39 PM, Randall Dowling said:

What I notice is that any copies above a 9.0 don't usually come on sale that often that may warrant a slight bump when one actually does come on the market.  I have not seen a 9.2 go on sale since the start of the pandemic, which is why I am having a hard time trying to get a fair market value for it.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, Escaflown41 said:

What I notice is that any copies above a 9.0 don't usually come on sale that often that may warrant a slight bump when one actually does come on the market.  I have not seen a 9.2 go on sale since the start of the pandemic, which is why I am having a hard time trying to get a fair market value for it.

I agree.  And I can't remember ever seeing the single 9.8 selling.  I have to think that's at least a $50k book.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I seem to remember that @oakman29 calls it the Action 1 of mags.  It's definitely (in my mind) the most important magazine.  Much more so than Savage Tales 1 or any others.  But I'm extremely biased.

The only reason I'm not calling it the Action 1 of mags is that the book is rare.  There may not be a copy available for sale even if you have the money to afford one.  However for AF15, there's always a bunch of copies (except for high grade) for sale somewhere which I see similar for Vampirella #1.  Regardless, I agree that this book is the most important magazine.