• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 11:01 AM, batmiesta said:

Zero feedback is a red flag to anyone with half a brain cell, scam written all over it. There was a similar sale with a 9.6 Silver Surfer #4 that turned out to be bollocks.  If this is a legit sale I will show my arse at the town hall. 

My bad for not noticing that!

Wow, that's wild. I guess I did ok picking this one up a couple of months ago for about $10. Maybe it's time to list. As you can see, it's a little rough, so I'll have to list it as a 9.9 instead of a 10. :jokealert:

IMG_4432.thumb.JPG.a35efdc71c0590f4f677a944e6143324.jpg

Here's one that sold a couple of days ago for $28.50:

LINK to da'Bay

Edited by Axe Elf

On 6/10/2022 at 6:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

$1600 is a strong, solid price for a Vampirella 1 in 6.5.

502467269_ScreenShot2022-06-10at8_29_33PM.thumb.png.98f49b5215ef5b444cf1314913be5173.png

Yep for sure.  Continues to build stronger support for higher prices.  May level a bit around here but this book is in a new realm now....

Wasn't sure where to post this, but is the Overstreet Guide the go-to on pricing mags (e.g., Eerie Pubs)?  Is there any Online resource for pricing-particularly in higher grades?  In this climate, pricing is such a moving target (hence the title of this thread :)). 

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

On 6/13/2022 at 7:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

In my experience, Overstreet is grossly out of touch with the current market on pretty much every single book with regard to valuations.  Pricing many of these books in higher grades (especially Eerie Publications, Stanleys, and Skywalds), is pretty much a toss up.  The market on them is still volatile and high grade copies show up haphazardly, at times in venues in which very few magazine collectors are looking (Heritage, etc.).  Which unfortunately, just leaves having to search sold listings at various venues but even that isn't a very good barometer.

As an example, there was an exceptionally rare copy of a non-Warren comic magazine up for auction with a high minimum bid.  But the minimum bid was still a fraction of what that magazine should go for considering how scarce it is in high grade.  I picked it up for the minimum bid but I would never sell it for that much and it could be another 10 years or so before a similar copy shows up.  So, if you had another copy for sale in the same grade, and you used that sale as a guide, you'd be selling cheap.

Wish I had a better answer for you.  Perhaps other seasoned collectors can impart more wisdom than I have.  I would suggest @oakman29 but that man never sells anything so he's no help.  

Randall, as always, GREATLY appreciate the insight you're willing to impart.  Thanks so much!:cheers: