• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, Gregd said:

46BAEB5E-F0EC-4119-A0F9-143D693DF846.thumb.png.acbb9fe4caf4e881381f49fe8cc0cfcb.png

I still can't get over this.

I mean I think mine looks BETTER than that one--the image on the 9.8 is skewed a bit counter-clockwise to the page, whereas mine is printed square to the page--and it's brilliantly white!  Mine does have a LITTLE issue at the bottom of the spine, but if that's a 9.8, mine's got to be at least a 9.4 (but mine's still raw)--and this one book on Heritage sold for approximately 2.5x what I paid for the full run???

large.1208688845_VAMPIRELLA3F.jpg.c0ef7c158510c256dd3621b19c2926ba.jpg

Even the $1300 for the #4 before it seems crazy, but this just leaves my head spinning.

I said I'd never sell these books while I was alive, but if someone was offering five grand per, I'd have to consider it.

PMs accepted.

j/k

Edited by Axe Elf

On 9/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, Axe Elf said:

I still can't get over this.

I mean I think mine looks BETTER than that one--the image on the 9.8 is skewed a bit counter-clockwise to the page, whereas mine is printed square to the page--and it's brilliantly white!  Mine does have a LITTLE issue at the bottom of the spine, but if that's a 9.8, mine's got to be at least a 9.4 (but mine's still raw)--and this one book on Heritage sold for approximately 2.5x what I paid for the full run???

large.1208688845_VAMPIRELLA3F.jpg.c0ef7c158510c256dd3621b19c2926ba.jpg

Even the $1300 for the #4 before it seems crazy, but this just leaves my head spinning.

I said I'd never sell these books while I was alive, but if someone was offering five grand per, I'd have to consider it.

PMs accepted.

j/k

Sounds like you need to start sending in to get slabbed. 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

Despite my general distaste for the commodification of books by encasing them forever in plastic, I am reluctantly convinced that the books in my Vampirella collection deserve it.  They really do.  Well, most of them, anyway.  They're just too freaking awesome to touch, let alone read, anyway--so I might as well lock them up in Drakulonian sarcophogi.

I am also dying to have them examined by a pressing expert like JP (no, I won't tag him, because I don't intend to bother him), because a lot of the ones that are like one blemish away from perfect may well be pressable into a state of virtually unblemished glory.  But I don't know enough about crunched corners to make that determination myself.

But even if I wanted to sink what, five grand plus shipping/insurance into having some pressed and say a hundred of them ultimately graded and encapsulated--and believe me, that's a big sell on top of what I have invested in them now--I'd have to feel a LOT more comfortable with the Quality Control at CGC and their turnaround times would have to come down a LOT for me to even THINK about sending them away with the nice postman for a summer vacation (sign here in case one of them doesn't come back so you don't sue us).

I don't know how much longer I'm going to live, and I just GOT these--this spring!  I want to enjoy them.  HAVE them.  I do look at a randomly selected few of them, in their boarded bags, from time to time, and to have nothing but an empty shelf to admire for 15 months or more, wondering if someone else is fingerbending my Vampirellas?  I just can't do it.

I do plan to leave my heirs full instructions on how to potentially amplify the value of the collection if they want to make the investment and spin the Big Ol' Wheel of CGC to see what they may gain, if anything.  But that will be their call.  I'll probly also leave them instructions for creating a sales thread to sell them raw here, if they prefer... 

Gallery Sale!  All Warren magazines on display must go!  Ten thousand dollars each, or 3 for $25k...

...oh, sorry, guess I dozed off there for a second.  I must have been dreaming.  Carry on...

I mean- it’s only about 150 for a press and a slab fast track- not including shipping.  A bargain and your shelf will only be unoccupied for about 4-5 months I believe 

leaving the encapsulation to your heirs is on par with dying and not having a living trust or burial insurance.  
Let’s not be irresponsible 🤣

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 9/10/2022 at 3:27 PM, This is Who We Are said:

leaving the encapsulation to your heirs is on par with dying and not having a living trust or burial insurance.

Not really, it just leaves them the option of taking the profit realized by their raw value or potentially amplifying their profit by making an investment of their own.

That's not comparable to leaving them a burden to deal with; it's comparable to taking the vacation behind Door #1, or trying for the new car by choosing a different door.

On 9/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, Axe Elf said:

Not really, it just leaves them the option of taking the profit realized by their raw value or potentially amplifying their profit by making an investment of their own.

That's not comparable to leaving them a burden to deal with; it's comparable to taking the vacation behind Door #1, or trying for the new car by choosing a different door.

It’s cool- sarcasm isn’t for everyone:foryou:

I don't know if this is a "record price" or anything, but I've been watching it on daBay ever since I started searching for EERIEs back in February, and I just noticed that it recently sold at the listed price of $5,500.

EERIE #1 (first printing) signed by Forrest Ackerman

On 9/25/2022 at 7:53 PM, Gregd said:

Lots of bidding too 🤔 didn’t know this was a super hot issue 🤷🏻

comics4less has an insane following on eBay. His copy of Eerie 23 which sold for $267 had 58 watchers, which is about double what the auctions for that book typically have. His books are often undergraded and he is currently in the process of selling what looks to be every comic magazine ever published, so it is worth monitoring his listings. 

On 9/25/2022 at 5:53 PM, Gregd said:

Lots of bidding too 🤔 didn’t know this was a super hot issue 🤷🏻

Makes this certified copy in a 7.0 seem like a steal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304583418031?hash=item46ea9620af:g:AwMAAOSwG7pizJm2&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338846873&customid=4b5994b7-48da-4469-95f2-27af69384dd2&toolid=10049&gck=4b5994b7-48da-4469-95f2-27af69384dd2

On 9/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, Rip said:

Looking at some of the other sales- I’m thinkin he ought to write a book on selling because he’s producing some record high bids for mid to upper-mid grade mags and that’s with using only two scans per mag 🤔 -

Most impressive 

On 9/26/2022 at 4:36 PM, Makmorn said:

Still think it's a 9.8, and is just as nice as the 9.8.

It is, but there's writing on the cover.