• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

Actually, the price for the Eerie #17 was not that far off. If you read Doug Sulipa's report in the 2008 overstreet he says that book could be triple the guide and still be too low. That book in VF/NM has brought as much as $500+

The guide is also low for #8 and #23, all 3 of these books are tough to find in high grade. Of the 3 Warren series, Vampirella is the most collected, then Creepy, Eerie has always been 3rd and largely ignored in favor of the first two, so many copies got tossed in a corner and forgotten. It's a shame too, because there are some great stories and covers in that series.

Okay, I will climb down from my soap box now.

Hard to say, it is a rare issue. Creepy 9, 32, and 146 should be about 150% of guide, which would put a 9.0(VF/NM) at around $103. Looking at the wear on the cover, particularly the back along and near the spine, I'm not sure it would grade out a 9.0, but I could be wrong, it might look better in real life.

If you don't have a better copy, or have had trouble finding that issue, then it is probably an okay deal. I'm new here and don't really want to step on any toes regarding grading/priceing.

Well, there might have been record prices, and reason to throw out your overstreet this past weekend. I watched 2 early Vampirella's go for way below value.

Vampirella #5 - 9.2 went for $145

not quite as bad as the other one:

Vampirella #7 - 9.2 went for $90 (less than half guide) :pullhair:

Probably just the economy, and/or collectors looking for higher grade, but less than half guide is not good. Definately a buyers market right now.

Almost forgot, also an Eerie #10 - 9.6 for $57 which is pretty cheap too.

Edited by Makmorn

Yes, but a Vampirella #2 CGC 9.6 closed on ebay for $481.98 :o

That's twice last years Overstreet price (got to get me a new one) for NM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310048138149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

Were the sales you sited for CGC slabbed books? I'm seeing the slabbed books go higher than raw.

Yup they were CGC slabs :(

The Vampi 9.6 probably should have brought more, I bid a couple times and almost won it, but got out bid. However, I was kinda bidding low because I just recently bought a couple expensive signature books, and a Frazetta litho, so I was sorta watching my budget for this month, if not for all of that, I would have bid more.

I could have used it for my collection, but I will survive. (shrug)

I often wonder if, when others start to submit more Warren (and other publisher's) magazines to CGC if there will be a lot of 9.0's or if they will be scarce like with most silver age comics. Someone in another string (I think it was "Buffy") raised the point that the population reports on these books tend to be low because they (magazines) have not been submitted to CGC until recently, and that when they do start to flood in, and more 9.0's are added to the pop reports, the prices might adjust back to reality (or guide). I for one hope these recent auction prices mean people are finally discovering the fantastic art and stories these books contain. Besides, what looks better than a pristine Frazetta cover (like on the #23) staring back at you in a slab.

Shhh....don't tell everyone about the great magazine covers, it's suppsed to be a secret. :whistle:

Guide on most of the early Creepy's and Eerie's is still low, $60 for #3 thru #17 Creepy's when most of those covers are Frazetta's is nuts. The most expensive one in that run is #9 at $100 for 9.2. Good luck finding a cgc 9.2 #9 for $100, if you find it, let me know, but even those are still cheap. A silver age comic of similar print date/series # sells sometimes for many thousands, and quite honestly do not compare in art quality.

Nothing against Ditko (I am an ASM fan too), but if you set an early Creepy next to an early Spiderman, without knowing the value, which would you think is worth more? Looking strictly from an artistic standpoint you would think the Creepy, but alas we know that is not true, and they were printed about the same time period.

Warren made magazines because they did not want to be censored by the comic code, if they had been conformist and settled for making comic size the prices would be different now, but would the stories and cover art been the same? Probably not. So as far as the prices adjusting back to reality (Guide) let's hope not, because that reality is flawed.

Okay, done with my rantrant

Your not ranting MakMorn , Just giving some interesting perspectives. Its great to have another Warren collector on these boards. Hope you post often!

And welcome to the boards! :hi:

I completely agree with everyting you say. I also think the adjustment will be upward, but I also think that there will probably be higher population reports once the collections come out of the closets and people start getting them certified. But it can only be good for the genre if this happens, as this will legitimize this relatively untapped treasure. I'm waiting for the grade on 25 Warren's (mostly all Frazetta covers) I sent to CGC to come up on the status screen, in it are 3 #23's, I am hoping I have a 9.0 in the bunch. I can't wait to see what they come in at. I have about another 20 more to send it! really hoping CGC starts offering a bulk discount though.

That's a nice Frazetta pen and ink!

Funny you should post it. I was about to mention (in my last post) that National Lampoon had some Frazetta covers. I think it's little known (a guy from CGC I spoke to at NY Comic Con seemed amazed by this when I showed him this same issue and asked if they certified Lampoons).

I know of, and have, 3 Lampoons with Frazetta covers- this one, the "crucifix" and one with a dame being rescued from headhunters. They're all pretty stunning.

Do you happen to know if there were there any other Lampoons with Frazetta covers?

Edited by Bob-a-loo

Awesome Lampoon, I have been sorta looking for a decent copy of that, without a lot of luck.

I also have been looking for a decent Eerie #23, let me know if you want to get rid of one :grin:

You can call cgc if it is close to time for the books to be done and get the grades over the phone, or they can give you an idea when they will be done.

Right now I am pacing about waiting for a grade on a SS that was signed over the weekend. Creepy #11 signed by Frazetta, the book was in great condition, so I am hoping for the best. It cost me an arm and a leg (closer to a testical) but worth it to me. :wishluck:

I tried to check the status at CGC online today, but for some reason I'm having trouble accessing it. So I don't know if my comic magazines are even "scheduled for grading" or what-not. I'll be patient a while longer, and see what happens.

Makmorn, I'll let you know how I make out on those #23's and maybe we can work something out.

I have a "spare" copy of this Lampoon I would part with. It's not a super HG one though. It's flat and Glossy, if I recall, but the predominantly white cover has some light smudges. I'll try to find and scan it later tonight or tomorrow.

I know of, and have, 3 Lampoons with Frazetta covers- this one, the "crucifix" and one with a dame being rescued from headhunters. They're all pretty stunning.

Do you happen to know if there were there any other Lampoons with Frazetta covers?

Not that I'm aware of...love that crucifix alien cover too! (thumbs u

That's a nice Frazetta pen and ink!

According to the Frazetta Treasury there were 3 National Lampoon covers:

April 1971

June 1972

August 1973

Also, in the November 1971 he did some art for a story "Dragula" has a (1) by it, so I think it was just a one page illustration, which was also used as the back cover illo for "National Lampoon Encyclopedia of Humor"

That's all I see for National Lampoon, the source is fairly accurate.

He also did 2 back covers for Mad Magazine: #90 and #106

Only problem with those would be the inside part normally was a fold over illustration, so finding one with a good back cover might be a chore.

Cool. Thanks for the info regarding Frazetta covers on Mad.

I'll look for one... BTW, anyone notice Jeff Jones is selling some of his stuff on ebay?

The body of work on his web site is awesome! Too bad he has had so many personal demons to battle.

He was, is truly one of the greats...

Go to Jeff Jone's web site and click on "paintings"

http://www.ulster.net/~jonesart/

I could not find any of his paintings on Ebay, probably could not afford them even if I did find them.

Got my grade back on the SS Creepy #11 signed by Frazetta, 9.6 (highest grade to date) woot, was hoping for the elusive 9.8 but with Frank's sig on it, 9.6 will do. :cloud9:

Ah, thanks, still won't be able to afford one, but does not cost anything to watch :popcorn:

Yup, have 2 SS Warren books now, Vampirella #8 9.8 signed by Ken Kelly and the Creepy #11 9.6 signed by Frazetta. Both are the highlights of my collection, and of course NFS (worship)