• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

I haven't bought a mag in awhile, but I am curious to see how my two Web of Horror slabs do in the current CLink auction. The 9.4 #2 (lone top census) last sold for over $1000, but I expect it to go for significantly less than that when the smoke clears in two days. Hell, it hasn't even cracked $100 yet!

Does anyone else find the mag market pretty soft compared to a few years ago?

Thanks. Hope they end up bringing ok money.

It's true that prices have been going up almost across the board, though certain genres are cooling. Bronze horror and SA DCs both seem to be on the downturn, but silver age Marvels and classic cover and superhero golden age are red hot.

I am always surprised that mags don't generate more interest. It really doesn't get much better than early Creepy and Eerie issues, but even the rare numbers I have found cheap. Not long ago I found a raw Creepy 32 in 8.5 or so for $25, and a raw Eerie 23 in 9.0 for $35 or so. This stuff tends to fly under the radar more than most genres.

Only thing that could hurt that #2 is the current CGC census shows a 9.8, probably recently graded. The #3 should be marked as second highest, not third, with only one higher, according to current census.

Still very nice grades for those books, and they are hard to find.

Nice to see some decent discussion on magazines. I love them and they just don't get the respect they deserve. The reality is there are just far fewer mag collectors out there than comic collectors so I'm not surprised at the depressed prices. All the better for the buyers, I say.

I have mostly been buying the Marvel/Curtis mages with the occasional Skywald thrown in. I am slowly dipping my feet into the Vampirella world. Just killer covers. Since I'm generally very happy with an 8.5 or better copy, hopefully I can get some decent deals from Ebay.

Just georgeous artwork Makmorn. Even the signatures look incredible.

cd4ever - I've gotten reasonably priced, nice condition copies on ebay from Kirk at the_monster_emporium.

Thanks, I can tell you for a fact, I paid lots more for the Frazetta than the Brunner, but what can you do, it's a right handed piece he did before his stroke. (shrug)

They class up my office at least :grin:

I also have a Frazetta litho in here, so starting to run low on wall space.

I picked up some stuff at megacon this year, and I haven't even had a chance to get them framed yet. A Dawn ink from Linsner, a Batman and a Red Sonja from GW Fisher, and a page from the 20th anniversary Tick from Tucci. Oh, and a few things from Sudyam, including a signature Savage Tales #1 virgin cover that I had him sign at the show, lucky for me it came back a 9.8. I didn't even really look at the book, it was the last one he had and it was the last day of the show, so I had no other choice. :whistle:

Sorry to hear that :(

There was a Vampirella 9.6 that only sold right before that for $238, pretty cheap for highest graded, that's not even $50 over 9.2 price. Probably the economy more than anything, but not a good sign, figures that mags would be first hit, next would most likely will be some of the lesser known comics. It's a buyers market right now, and will continue to be that way until gas prices start coming down, or at least leveling off. Everyone is watching every penny they spend right now.

Thank goodness we can still get cheap oil from Iraq, oh, nevermind they fixed that :mad:

hm I dunno - I assume you lost some money, so I don't blame you for feeling that way. But I don't really think magazines are completely dead, per se, when there are slabbed books that are selling for multiples of the guide. I do however think everything (except maybe super high-grade, unrestored Golden and Silver Age) is selling for less.

Definately the economy is having some impact. I follow the major GA dealer discussions on these boards (they are very educational), and it does seem like their buying has slowed and sales don't seem as brisk as they were a few months back. See a lot of them passing on offers to buy books (they normally would be looking to buy) from other boarders.

I also think it has a lot to do with luck, who sees the item and bids on it. I'm no expert, but I never really looked for magazines on Clink, becuase they mostly deal in comics I don't look to find them there, so maybe you didn't get the crowd that would have bid it up. I wouldn't have known those WOH's were on Clink, if I didn't see it here on the board.

I do think it's a bit randow - who sees your item, if they need it, if it's slabbed (or not). There's a lot of good deals on unslabbed magazines on ebay. If you're willing to take a chance that the seller's grade is accurate, or if no specific grade is stated (like in a lot of books) then you can find a "deal".

But there are also lot of slabbed magazines that were up on ebay that recently bidded up pretty high. Luck of the draw, the right people saw it on ebay, and they bid hard. I had a slabbed GA Wonder Woman up on ebay, that I paid over $200 for. When I upgraded and sold my copy, it sold for about $70 (next time put a reserve on it dummy). Why did I end up giving it away? I theorize that I just didn't get the right crowd bidding on it. Yet, at the same time comparable (or less than comparable) books sold for triple that or more. A few months prior to this, I had to beat many, many competing bidders to get any slabbed WW's. It was like there was a bounty on them and everyone was hunting.

Holy , I was wrong about C-link not being the place to find (or sell) magazines. I didn't realize how many Warren's C-link had up for sale. And some of the prices are low, not overlooked by someone who bought all the high-grade CGC Warren's up. Example: VAMPIRELLA #2 , CGC 9.2 NM- $225 - which I think is low.

hm I dunno - I assume you lost some money, so I don't blame you for feeling that way. But I don't really think magazines are completely dead, per se, when there are slabbed books that are selling for multiples of the guide. I do however think everything (except maybe super high-grade, unrestored Golden and Silver Age) is selling for less.

I think that magazines are pretty much dead. Just because a few are bringing over guide (which they should if they're not common or are graded 9.6 or higher) doesn't mean that the market as a whole is in the tank.

Right now I am pacing about waiting for a grade on a SS that was signed over the weekend. Creepy #11 signed by Frazetta, the book was in great condition, so I am hoping for the best. It cost me an arm and a leg (closer to a testical) but worth it to me. :wishluck:

Are you a CGC Signature Series witness? Otherwise, how did you get a magazine signed by Frank Frazetta?? (shrug)

Point well made. I didn't mean to suggest the market is in the tank.

I started buying Warren's with Frazetta covers, not to make a killing on the market, but because the covers are simply priceless. If I never make a nickel profit, they still bring me plenty of joy.

Well, my Web of Horror 2 sold for a whopping 10% of the last GPA sale. I think mags are officially dead as a doornail.

I think you could have done better than that here.

creepy32.jpg

The upside of it is of course, good books can be had at decent prices.

Just picked up this nice copy of Creepy 32 tucked away in a lot.