• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 CGC 9.9 WP: 1st Wolverine as Patch!

24 posts in this topic

"Then Came Number Thirteen!"

Wolverine #1 showcases the 1st Wolverine as Patch!

After a successful four part miniseries published from September-December of 1982, it took a little over 6 years before Wolverine was honored with his ongoing solo title apart from the X-Men!

Published in November of 1988, right around the time of Halloween, not only does the dark imagery perfectly display the raw savagery of Wolverine, but it was very fitting that the Wolverine logo was inked in orange for superior marketing.

The cover art drawn by the late John Buscema is a certified classic! A victorious Wolverine is featured standing on a pile of dead bodies with his shirt torn off his muscular physique and his pants slashed open, while his razor sharp claws are being ejected from his forearms with a full moon lighting up the midnight sky! In addition, the full-length Wolverine back cover pin-up drawn by John Byrne is awesome!

After selling my former Wolverine #1 CGC SS 9.9 (Stan Lee) in which fellow CGC Registry member frostking70 now owns, I never thought I would ever own another CGC 9.9 example. The reasons for thinking this were simple; I have not seen a copy show up at auction in about 4 years and the known 12 Universal CGC 9.9 copies were all locked up in private collections. However, fate would have it otherwise!

This particular copy was a personal submission and makes history as the 1st book I submitted to the CGC that was graded as a MINT 9.9! Officially graded in June of 2016, my copy became the "13th" Universal 9.9 in existence!

This is a MAJOR accomplishment; as I can recall back in early 2012 the total number of Wolverine #1 Universal CGC 9.9 copies totaling to a mere 11 or 12! That means that in four consecutive years of submissions, only 1 copy (possibly 2) was graded as a CGC 9.9 due to the unforgiving dark cover!

So just how rare is this book? Well according to the CGC Census Report as of August 13, 2016, there are a whopping total of 6,838 copies graded to date! Out of those 6,838 copies, only 13 were blessed with the Universal 9.9 grade (with only 1 copy graded higher), which means that this copy represents 1/10 of 1% or 0.001 (one thousandth) of the total population! Now that's RARE!

The next question one might ask is..."how much is it worth?" To put this in perspective, on June 10, 2016, the single highest graded Wolverine #1 CGC Gem Mint 10.0 sold for an astonishing $17,644 on Comic Connect! With nearly 7,000 copies already professionally graded and being a dark cover in which the smallest of defects are detectable, it's highly unlikely that another 10.0 copy will emerge, let alone another 9.9 anytime soon! Therefore, this book will definitely command a pretty penny if it were ever to be sold!

As a matter of fact, this CGC 9.9 white paged specimen may very well be the finest known 9.9 copy in existence! It is PERFECTLY wrapped, cut and centered with perfectly inserted staples and a drum tight spine! The color saturation is deep and vivid and looks like it was printed yesterday! Not even the single 10.0 copy is perfectly cut and wrapped like this pristine beauty! Furthermore, if you compare this copy to other CGC 9.9 examples, you will see that it is more perfectly wrapped and centered and displays superior aesthetic qualities!

In closing, I want to give a special shout-out to Matt Nelson of CCS for prescreening and lightly pressing my book prior to submitting to the CGC for grading! I am truly grateful for your services! Last but not least, I want to thank God for blessing me with this awesome acquisition and for resurrecting and breathing new life into my Against All Odds Wolverine (1988) Set!

The odds were truly against me...but then came number thirteen (13)!

-Professor Pecora

17611.jpg

See more journals by Professor Pecora

Professor,

What a beautiful book, even more, fantastic write up. The book alone really speaks for itself, but your story really makes this book shine - even more than the high quality scan!

It's good to see you back writing and submitting. I hope things are going well for you and I look forward to more posts from you.

Professor,

What a beautiful book, even more, fantastic write up. The book alone really speaks for itself, but your story really makes this book shine - even more than the high quality scan!

It's good to see you back writing and submitting. I hope things are going well for you and I look forward to more posts from you.

Hey what's up Mr. Shepherd! It's nice to hear from you and thank you for your kind words! I am actually doing very well and enjoying my new journey in life (post divorce), which also includes rebuilding another world class CGC Comic Book collection! :) God is great and He has truly been restoring me in all areas of my life!

I hope everything is well on your end. I haven't been to Denver, Colorado since I relocated back to Atlanta in August of 2013 (wow...it has been 3 years already!) However, one of these days I do plan to visit; maybe even attend the Denver Comic Con! ;)

Thanks for your positive feedback Brandon!

-Professor Pecora

It's a spectacular book, simply perfect, congrats! :applause:

I did see one EBay seller trying to get 30k for a 9.9 SS (Stan Lee) which may be just slightly optimistic - according to GPA that book previously sold for 9k April 2014, so maybe you should get your book signed :idea: Then again, there's always a risk when getting books signed hm

Maybe I should start to read all the graders' notes on my 9.8 books and try to figure out if some could benefit from light pressing (then again I probably won't dare - just the thought of books having to go through more shipping makes my skin crawl :fear::facepalm: )

And good to read that you're doing well - I'm actually going to Church tomorrow, my sister's baby (it's a girl) is going to be babtized and I've accepted being her godfather :angel:

It's a spectacular book, simply perfect, congrats! :applause:

I did see one EBay seller trying to get 30k for a 9.9 SS (Stan Lee) which may be just slightly optimistic - according to GPA that book previously sold for 9k April 2014, so maybe you should get your book signed :idea: Then again, there's always a risk when getting books signed hm

Maybe I should start to read all the graders' notes on my 9.8 books and try to figure out if some could benefit from light pressing (then again I probably won't dare - just the thought of books having to go through more shipping makes my skin crawl :fear::facepalm: )

And good to read that you're doing well - I'm actually going to Church tomorrow, my sister's baby (it's a girl) is going to be babtized and I've accepted being her godfather :angel:

Hey Rune! It's always a pleasure to hear from you my brother! I actually sold my former Wolverine #1 CGC SS 9.9 WP (Stan Lee) for $10,002 back in June of 2013 on Pedigree Comics! Then, I think a year later the owner (CGC Registry Member Revolution Cycles) decided to auction it back off on Pedigree, and that is when frostking70 won it for 9K. Further, I think a little less than a year ago a lucky person had a copy signed (also by Stan Lee) that happened to grade-out as a CGC SS 9.9! The owner initially listed it on eBay for 50K, then eventually brought it down to 30K...which is truly rediculous, but my brother Matt (#1 Wolverine (1988) Set) contacted him and learned that the owner doesn't really want to sell it, hence the outrageous asking price!

With the recent Wolverine #1 CGC 10.0 sale almost reaching 18K, I think a reasonable asking price for one of the two CGC SS 9.9 copies would be anywhere between 10K-12K with the appreciation factor considered. For my particular copy...who knows...depending on who was bidding on it...it could potentially reach 10K or more because it truly is the nicest looking copy I have ever seen, which includes the single 10 copy!

If you ask me, the 10 copy is highly overrated because it was graded in CGC's infancy, when they needed to get some MINT copies in the system since they were building the census from scratch. Now-a-days, it is much more difficult to land a CGC 9.9 or 10 of a key book 28 + years old as CGC has refined their grading process over their 15 + years of existence. I honestly think my copy should be presented in that CGC 10.0 holder! I've seen many 9.8 copies look better than the 10 copy, but you know how these things go!

On that note, I think I will leave my copy just as is; no need to chance anything by having it cracked open and signed. It's definitely too risky, especially when you have a KEY book in such high grade. I'd rather just get a sharp-looking 9.8 and have it signed and pressed with a possible chance of making a CGC SS 9.9!

I know it has to be a pain with the international shipping costs when submitting and purchasing books. I guess if you feel you have a high probability to get a rare upgrade, why not take a chance! If not, definitely stay still! :-)

I will most likely go to church again too; I attended service last Sunday with a new woman I started dating two weeks ago! ;) CONGRATS on your newly accepted Godfather status!! I pray all goes well with your niece's baptism! Chat with you soon!

-Professor Pecora

Congrats, not a story you hear every day. I will trade you my 9.8 Signed book? That is a great deal, yes??????

Thanks for sharing buddy

What's up Ronny! You are still hilarious! :grin: I think I'll keep my copy and have to pass on trading for your SS 9.8 copy! lol

How have you been?

The guy with that SS 9.9 copy is just giving his book a victory lap, we've corresponded on the matter. I certainly wish I could pry that one from him at a reasonable price, it would pull me even with frostking for that slot in the registry... :grin:

In closing, I want to give a special shout-out to Matt Nelson of CCS for prescreening and lightly pressing my book prior to submitting to the CGC for grading! I am truly grateful for your services!

Matt Nelson doesn't press.

In closing, I want to give a special shout-out to Matt Nelson of CCS for prescreening and lightly pressing my book prior to submitting to the CGC for grading! I am truly grateful for your services!

Matt Nelson doesn't press.

What's up BlowUpThe Moon! I see you're located in Buffalo (B-Low), NY; I was born and raised in Rochester (Roc City), NY!

Anyway, Matt Nelson does press; he only handles the high-end books. I actually submitted my Wolverine #1 along with two of my Bronze Age books well over 10K in which he did some work on. We have a great relationship and we were communicating throughout the entire process. (thumbs u

-Professor Pecora

Great post as always and good to hear life is treating you well my friend. It makes me sad to hear about your divorce...coming from a divorced home it especially resonates with me...but with your faith, I imagine things would have to be pretty bad so no judgement here. I'm happy things are turning around for you...and that Wolverine 1, dude! I didn't realize Matt was still doing pressing at all so that's good news too...I've been using him for years and have always been really happy with his work, great guy, very responsive. Looking forward to more updates in the life of the Professor!

Oh and I meant to ask, does the new holder on this one include the inner well or is it one of the first batch that had everyone so concerned with the waviness and rainbows?

Great post as always and good to hear life is treating you well my friend. It makes me sad to hear about your divorce...coming from a divorced home it especially resonates with me...but with your faith, I imagine things would have to be pretty bad so no judgement here. I'm happy things are turning around for you...and that Wolverine 1, dude! I didn't realize Matt was still doing pressing at all so that's good news too...I've been using him for years and have always been really happy with his work, great guy, very responsive. Looking forward to more updates in the life of the Professor!

Oh and I meant to ask, does the new holder on this one include the inner well or is it one of the first batch that had everyone so concerned with the waviness and rainbows?

What's up Surfer!!! Nice to hear from you again brother! Like you, I am also a product of a divorced family and the least thing I wanted to do was perpetuate that cycle in my personal life. However, all things happen for a reason and it has honestly made me a better man. I even wrote 2 new songs after I settled into my new place entitled "The Enemy Within" and "Changed Ways." I have already submitted them to the Library of Congress in DC to be officially registered and copyrighted! ;) I also started dating several months ago and have recently met someone I really like and have been taking it slow in getting to know each other. :eek:

Matt still presses, but only with the high-end books. Matt improved my ASM #129 CGC 9.8 WP and removed the previous ink smudges and did some work on my DD #158 CGC 9.8 WP along with pressing my Wolverine #1. The holder in which my Wolverine #1 appears in the scan is the latest updated CGC holder with the reuse of the inner well! I actually just received it back after returning it to CGC because it was previously in the new holder without the well, which left the "oil stain" marks and seemed to ripple the front and back cover due to pressure. However, they reholdered free of charge because they graded my books right before the announcement of the new holder modification...so I was very pleased to see my Wolverine #1 displayed PERFECTLY in the latest CGC holder!!

Thanks for reaching out and I'm looking forward to staying connected and hopefully I'll write some more journals in the near future :)

-Professor Pecora

CONGRATULATIONS on that 9.9!!! That's huge.I hope some day to get a 9.9. But getting a 9.9 on a key like this is amazing. Very awesome you were able to replace a 9.9 you already had.

Thank You so much STORMSHADOW_80! I was ecstatic once I checked my online submission status and saw the 9.9 grade! I actually just came out of a church service too; so I was in my car shouting all kinds of praises!! :whee:

Hey man, you just never know...one day you just might land a special 9.9 yourself!

The true joy is in the hunt!

-Professor Pecora

Matt,

If you need some help obtaining that book, I could

"Make him an offer he can't refuse" :devil:

James

Haha, no need to break Laz's knees James, he's a cool guy.

I could always use some help tracking down my final Hama books though... (thumbs u

CONGRATULATIONS on that 9.9!!! That's huge.I hope some day to get a 9.9. But getting a 9.9 on a key like this is amazing. Very awesome you were able to replace a 9.9 you already had.

Thank You so much STORMSHADOW_80! I was ecstatic once I checked my online submission status and saw the 9.9 grade! I actually just came out of a church service too; so I was in my car shouting all kinds of praises!! :whee:

Hey man, you just never know...one day you just might land a special 9.9 yourself!

The true joy is in the hunt!

-Professor Pecora

Oh just read the response to surfer. A 9.8 ASM129!! That's awesome. I have one in that grade too. It's my baby :cloud9: