• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick Five

54 posts in this topic

This is my first attempt at a topic here. I always am evaluating what are my essentials and what can I part with, in collecting and in life in general. hm

If comics had no monetary value, but you had to pick five from your collection to keep and the rest had to go, what five would you pick?

Feel free to post pics. Value is not a factor in this equation, so it is not hanging onto the five that assure your retirement but the five that bring some sort of soul satisfaction or have a strong tie to you.

I was just thinking about this and discussing it with a boardie friend. I am working on my final five. Will post once I figure it out.

Some nice GGA cover books you've got there. (thumbs u

Not sure about the Top 5 for your set of books, but I would be sure to include both the Phantom lady and the Shock Suspenstories for sure. The others would probably be the Planets, in particularly, the later ones. hm

I think I'd have to keep my favorite reads.

Perhaps the treasury editions reprinting FF 48-50 and Thor 154-157.

Certainly FF annual 6, my very favorite all-time comic, maybe the Master Planner trilogy in some reprint form, and just to finish it off, Marvel Tales #1!

Sorry, forgot this was the Gold forum.

I recently made these exact cuts, and here's what I kept...

1. Space Western 44, just too fabulous to ever be without!

2. Marvel Mystery 17. My very first GA book. Schomburg cover, 1st team up, Kirby Vision, and the inside front cover has an ad for Cap 1!

3. Captain America 6. Because Kirby Cap is a requirement.

4. New York World's Fair 1940. My earliest appearances of The Pillars; Batman and Superman.

Those were all I kept, but if money were no object, I would have been able to keep Mad 1!

I think I'd have to keep my favorite reads.

My thinking exactly.

Out Of The Night 13

Haunted Thrills 9

Shock Suspenstories 14

Beware! Terror Tales 6

Suspense (Atlas) 19

And it wasn't easy paring them down to only 5...

Almost impossible to pick 5, but this is an interesting exercise in what I really value as opposed to what's really nice to have. hm

This five would go close most days. The two long Barks stories are perennial favourites of mine for almost half a century. The EC scifi and war series are more recent infatuations. The WSF #23 contains an adaptation of Bradbury's "The flying machine" that I think is one of the best literary adapatations in comics.

th_four_color_223_dd_lost_andes_mgc_01.jpgth_Scrooge_05.jpgth_TFT_30.jpgth_WS_15.jpgth_WSF_23_zps02d35c9a.jpg

My wife would probably insist I keep this one.

th_wings_87.jpg

Four Color 291

Action 17

Batman 17

Hit 17

All Star 13

This would help but I don't think I would keep them. I suspect I would value the westerns too much and keep some of the EC comics and who would buy all of those Ace, Magic, Popular and Super Comics?

I never intended to collect so many comics. I wanted 12 boxes of golden age to add to my 12 boxes of original owner silver age comics. Unfortunately, I have 3 or 4 times as many as I wanted and my family would never be able to sell them as individual lots. (shrug)

Great books everyone!!! I will play...looks like a few of mine already made it onto folks top 5 lists meaning I'm not the only one who is hellbent on taking em to the grave with me haha!! I have more but these 5 will will be tough to pry from my grip...

19535383744_947bc70bba_c.jpg

18745080772_47584779f0_c.jpg

11565757183_a094c08ef1_c.jpg

9398484809_5c3b9fd717_c.jpg

28125915666_a56df7219d_c.jpg

I should have just said anything in my sig line to make it easier lol Ive adjusted it several times since joining the boards but it has gotten sweeter and sweeter (to me anyways) each time and harder and harder to to narrow it down. Im going to have to make a separate sig line for raw books here too pretty soon :D

All Select 1

All Select 2

Cap 3

Marvel Mystery 9

Torch 8

Does that mean I can have your Detective 31? :foryou:

only for swell guys like you Larry :)

:cloud9: