• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick Five

54 posts in this topic

Almost impossible to pick 5, but this is an interesting exercise in what I really value as opposed to what's really nice to have. hm

This five would go close most days. The two long Barks stories are perennial favourites of mine for almost half a century. The EC scifi and war series are more recent infatuations. The WSF #23 contains an adaptation of Bradbury's "The flying machine" that I think is one of the best literary adapatations in comics.

th_four_color_223_dd_lost_andes_mgc_01.jpgth_Scrooge_05.jpgth_TFT_30.jpgth_WS_15.jpgth_WSF_23_zps02d35c9a.jpg

My wife would probably insist I keep this one.

th_wings_87.jpg

I love every one of these!! Great art and stories!! Anyone noticing a lot of Barks' ducks here? hm Some of the best stuff ever!! One of my honorable mentions would be FC 178, for sure. :luhv:

Great books everyone!!! I will play...looks like a few of mine already made it onto folks top 5 lists meaning I'm not the only one who is hellbent on taking em to the grave with me haha!! I have more but these 5 will will be tough to pry from my grip...

19535383744_947bc70bba_c.jpg

18745080772_47584779f0_c.jpg

11565757183_a094c08ef1_c.jpg

9398484809_5c3b9fd717_c.jpg

28125915666_a56df7219d_c.jpg

Great books. Love the Pep 34 and also the same book owned by Steve (143ksk).

Great idea for a thread.

It's quite easy for me to list my 5 because my GA collection is in its infancy. I have some more coming soon, but these are my favorite 5 that I actually hold in house at the moment.

h6j_zpswlkd6csa.jpg

1952%20PLANET%20066-140a_zpsooduss4w.jpeg

1951%20PLANET%20065-190a_zpsk37seggt.jpg

1952%20PLANET%20068-133f_zpsttjryry6.jpg

1947%20PLANET%20050-158e_zpsbptskh3m.jpg

Great idea for a thread.

It's quite easy for me to list my 5 because my GA collection is in its infancy. I have some more coming soon, but these are my favorite 5 that I actually hold in house at the moment.

h6j_zpswlkd6csa.jpg

1952%20PLANET%20066-140a_zpsooduss4w.jpeg

1951%20PLANET%20065-190a_zpsk37seggt.jpg

1952%20PLANET%20068-133f_zpsttjryry6.jpg

1947%20PLANET%20050-158e_zpsbptskh3m.jpg

Awesome collection, all of those covers are classics. :applause:

Thank you, that's great and encouraging to hear. :foryou:

EDIT: 2 of those books came from Boardsters Jason & Jerry.

You're welcome. In my opinion Planet's # 65 and 66 or in the top 5 of the best covers in the series. The others would be 70-72 for me. I am biased towards these later covers, some of the best sci fi comic art there is.

The WSF #23 contains an adaptation of Bradbury's "The flying machine" that I think is one of the best literary adapatations in comics.

Bradbury wrote to say that he was particularly pleased with it.

Thank you, that's great and encouraging to hear. :foryou:

EDIT: 2 of those books came from Boardsters Jason & Jerry.

You're welcome. In my opinion Planet's # 65 and 66 or in the top 5 of the best covers in the series. The others would be 70-72 for me. I am biased towards these later covers, some of the best sci fi comic art there is.

I 100% agree with you Justin. 33-35 is pretty spectacular too.

These "Pick ..." are always tough questions.

I'd probably keep these 5 as a broad range of books from the era:

This one for obvious reasons -

Four%20Color%20386_zpspa89tezv.jpg

This one for sentimental value as I bought it with my wife during our honeymoon at a antique shop -

Exciting62_zpsdxpsgh8e.jpg

This one b/c of it's part of Senorita Rio's run & features the Mont Saint Michel and guys get exploded -

Fight%2032_zpsxfawhuqf.jpg

This one as a quintessential '50's comic cover -

Black%20Cat%2050_zpsmiilakur.jpg

This one for historical reasons -

RememberPearlHarbor_zpscvpcrewx.jpg

Except for the first two, others are subject to change according to mood.

Great story and an auspicious find for the occasion! :applause:

Thanks. Still, to this day, it's the book that I left there that I remember the most. There was a Captain America 73 (The Outcast of Time) there as well but it was "too much $", that is, Guide :facepalm: This was when I started to collect GA so I didn't know any better lol

This is a tough one. It might take a few for me..... and as stated earlier, several of mine are SA books..... maybe this theme can be started in that Forum...... so I'll stick to GA books here. I'm going to edit in the 5 choices as I decide, so they can all be in one post..... eventually. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....no particular order.... this one has been a favorite since I first saw it reprinted in the early 70's..... Kirby's first attempt at Thor........

ADVENTURE75.jpg

..... as a lifelong Frazetta fan, this book was always a grail. This one has the nicest Frazetta autograph I've seen yet on a comic..... it was personalized to a close friend and sometimes business associate, which makes it a little "extra" cool.....

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

....this next one came from Caudio, I remember when he was new and still working on his English. He would PM me with questions about the meaning of certain phrases and such..... now his English is probably better than mine lol This book is very hard to find and just cover to cover awesome....

101_2758.jpg

....I've always loved the Atlas PCH books, and this one is very high on my list of favorites.....

101_3005.jpg

..... a green dress cover from Roy..... I love this book. GOD BLESS....

UnknownWorlds14.jpg

...... and of course there will be a few "honorable mentions".....

DSCN0385.jpg

If comics had no value, it would be all about the stories not the cover. And based on the stories these are the ones that leap out for me:

Four Color 263: All Barks all the time. Two of my utmost favorite Barks stories: Land of the Totem Poles and Trail of the Unicorn. Plus three one pagers. Can't get better from a storytelling perspective than this.

Impact 1: Krigstein's Master Race is enough to get on my list, but also get Crandall, Ingels, and Evans.

Adventure 150: More early 50s DC fun with Superboy, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Johnny Quick, Frazetta's first Shining Knight story(!), and even a one page Wonder Woman. That's a lot of value for a dime!

Detective 168: Early 50s DC fun with Batman, Robotman and Pow Wow Smith! And this issue features the origin of Joker. What's not to like?

Mystery in Space: I love SF and early 50s DC and this issue features art by Frazetta, Finlay, Toth, Infantino, and Purcell. That's a powerful line up!