• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

DC was pushing the envelope, but where are the exposed brain and injury to eye stories?

Even though they relaxed the Code in '71, it still existed - hence no explicit gore (as if you didn't know). For stomach churning depictions of extreme violence and torture, help was at hand in that era, courtesy of Skywald, Stanley and Eerie.

In some cases, these exploitation mags surpassed their pre-code forebears.....

DC was pushing the envelope, but where are the exposed brain and injury to eye stories? smile.gif

Well, I was going to wait till tomorrow to post these for my one year anniversary on these boards but since you asked for specifics here...first my fairly recent holy grail for your "exposed brains"!

784652-WeirdMysteries%235.jpg

And in this issue there is an "eyes torn out" panel though it is pretty lame!

784652-ChamberofChills%2323(1951).jpg

589a8e8633b80_784652-ChamberofChills23(1951).jpg.72cef008e8d36c2b406d7292ef39d85c.jpg

Happy Anniversary! Jayman. Nice looking WM#5 -- cover to cover one of the best comics ever -- and definitely a grail book for horror afficianados.

Don't you hate when that happens!

Edited by adamstrange

DC was pushing the envelope, but where are the exposed brain and injury to eye stories? smile.gif

I do like BA House of Mysteries and House of Secrets though....

Pound for pound, PCH is king of gore versus BA. The irony though, is that the DC BA stuff is more graphic than their PCH! crazy.gif

At least ACG was aware that they were the first continual supernatural comic and used it to promote themselves...

784741-AiU34.jpg

..... the "greatest" is probably up for debate! 27_laughing.gif

784741-AiU34.jpg.d63475ebf16e474b9a812d06092baab4.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Happy Anniversary! Jayman. Nice looking WM#5 -- cover to cover one of the best comics ever -- and definitely a grail book for horror afficianados.

Don't you hate when that happens!

Thanks Adam, can't believe a year's gone by here already!

BTW: Here's the "ultra gory" eyes-torn-out panel! Too scary for words... yeahok.gif

784754-ChamberofChills%2323%281951%29Panel.jpg

589a8e86412bb_784754-ChamberofChills23(1951)Panel.jpg.75fdcd4385c89dfb02a913a111971df3.jpg

Those HG BA collectors may tire of those books and move on to the classic 50's material. That's when we could see a spike in prices.

flowerred.gif

Hi everybody! Wow, when I looked at the poll, I can be honest and say that I haven't heard of too many of these publishers. I guess I've been a DC addict for far too long. Hey, what's the best web resource to get a list of the pre-code titles from these publishers. Not that I'm in the market or anything shy.gif

Jayman, Happy Anniversary! yay.gif

All I have to say about your WM..... hail.gif

You the man, Jayman! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! grin.gif

Keith, I don't even pretend to be a player in the pre-code horror scene as I only have a handfull. But look what you guys have done to this once content-to-collect-Bronze-horror guy! I have decided to go for a run of Chamber of Chills, slowly...oh so ever slowly!

Those HG BA collectors may tire of those books and move on to the classic 50's material. That's when we could see a spike in prices.

flowerred.gif

Hi everybody! Wow, when I looked at the poll, I can be honest and say that I haven't heard of too many of these publishers. I guess I've been a DC addict for far too long. Hey, what's the best web resource to get a list of the pre-code titles from these publishers. Not that I'm in the market or anything shy.gif

Not a list per se but an informative link nontheless.

Linky

Stick to pre-code DC horror, Sterling! 27_laughing.gif

Honestly, I think if you PM Pov he can help you out... tell him I sent ya! Otherwise I can't think of any web resource. Back issues of TTTTT # 2 and #3 will be very helpful. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif

There is no reference.

There are no comics.

This thread doesn't exist.

(We need to find the guy that let him in, and fire him!)

Just kidding!

I've actually read the entired BA Horror thread since I joined the board. It's one of my proudest accomplishments and I must say it was VERY enjoyable.

The reference you want to get (not that I really want to tell you, mind you, but I figure somebody else will) is Tales to Terrible to Tell. It's an 11 issue reference/reprint comic about pre-code horror available from New England Comics. Well worth the 24 or 30 bucks they'll charge.

Keith, I don't even pretend to be a player in the pre-code horror scene as I only have a handfull. But look what you guys have done to this once content-to-collect-Bronze-horror guy! I have decided to go for a run of Chamber of Chills, slowly...oh so ever slowly!

Jayman, I picture you doing that "Slowly.... oh so ever slowly" in the voice of Evil Ed from Fright Night! You're creeping me out , dude! tongue.gif

Chamber of Chills.... ya can't go wrong there, my fiend! thumbsup2.gif

...and I have to hand it to them, despite their tame & lame approach they were very innovative....3D w/out glasses! 893whatthe.gif

784750-AiU53.jpg

The more I look at "lame" ACG, the more I find to like. All of the 3D comics are infinitely cool -- as long as you don't mind the black pages!

Edited by adamstrange

flowerred.gif

Sterliong, Sterling, Sterling. You mean you have YET to download my pre-code horror checklist, complete with intriquing notes, dates, publishers, titles, issue spans etc?

I made it in a format that all you have to do is click on the link, let it open, choose "select all", Copy and then Paste it into a spreadsheet. It should format perfectly.

Here is the link:

Pov's Pre-Code Horror Checklist

And ok - yeah. There are one or two Poc Typos even there! frown.gif

Keith, I LOVE the "Truevision" books.... The black pages are great!

Hey Jayman, nice WM #5! There's no bigger fan of that issue than me.... beautiful Wolverton story, excellent anti-Wertham essay, and in my opinion, the best cover of the pre-code horror era.

The more I look at "lame" ACG, the more I find to like. All of the 3D comics are infinitely cool -- as long as you don't mind the black pages!

I must confess, even though the stories by ACG are for the most part dreck, they do have some very nice covers. They've grown on me over the years more & more. Especially the early issues without verbage clutter, and the "TrueVision" books. thumbsup2.gif