• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

It sold for 435.01

On 12/21/2022 at 11:38 AM, mycomicshop said:

For what it's worth--this consignor sells plenty of books like this and knows his market well. He sold another copy a few months ago for $435: Tomb of Terror #16 PR complete interior, full length spine split. The current consigned copy that you're discussing is $690 on eBay, $600 on MCS, and the consignor is accepting offers, so maybe a buyer could end up with it for less than $600. And I like the colors better on this one than the previous one.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:37 PM, comicartfan said:

I have been dabbling in PCH as of late. The whole super hero thing just seems to be a little "boring" for me at the moment. I figured I would add some cool covers but I admit my knowledge is limited. I just grab what grabs me. 

Here's a few new ones 

2011222355561.jpg

1209220944511.jpg

3010221012221.jpg

PCH can certainly be addictive! I love superhero books just fine, but always default to PCH generally and only dabble in wearers of capes. The Tormented #1 is a long time favorite!

On 1/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, Robot Man said:

Another ACG to cross off the list. Getting close to the run. I like that you can still find nice PCH at well under $100. 

Congrats on getting near completion; I too have most of their PCH issues.

We both know, however, that their formula was 3 happy ending stories, and one actual horror tale.  I suspect that's a primary reason for their relatively low valuations.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:04 PM, fifties said:

Congrats on getting near completion; I too have most of their PCH issues.

We both know, however, that their formula was 3 happy ending stories, and one actual horror tale.  I suspect that's a primary reason for their relatively low valuations.

I am missing the big #1 and a few later PCH issues mostly.

Yeah, content and lack of super wild classic covers keep them affordable. At the time when I was very active in completing my PCH collection, I often passed over them over for the more “graphic” ones. I am still looking for some Avon and Star issues which, in my opinion, also have rather weak content as a whole.

On 1/13/2023 at 6:08 PM, Robot Man said:

I am missing the big #1 and a few later PCH issues mostly.

Yeah, content and lack of super wild classic covers keep them affordable. At the time when I was very active in completing my PCH collection, I often passed over them over for the more “graphic” ones. I am still looking for some Avon and Star issues which, in my opinion, also have rather weak content as a whole.

AFA Star, Blue Bolt Weird had some terrific covers once they got the horror bug, but the story fare was kinda so-so.  Same with Ghostly Weird, Spook, & Startling Terror Tales.  Shocking Mystery Cases of course was more of a crime book, and I found their stories entertaining.  Terrifying Tales was a total misnomer AFA content, and the only value for those issues that I find is in the cover illustrations.

With Avon, I found Eerie & Witchcraft to be half way decent story-wise.  Cover wise, on and off.