• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE DARK KNIGHT appreciation thread
1 1

90 posts in this topic

Spielberg doesn’t want anyone to forget the mistake of not nominating one particular film: “It came late for the film that should have been nominated a number of years ago, Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight.’ That movie would have definitely garnered a Best Picture Nomination today, so having these two blockbusters solidly presented on the top 10 list is something we should all be celebrating.”

“The Dark Knight” was released in 2008 and acted in part as a catalyst for the Academy’s decision to expand the Best Picture nominations list. The film was nominated for eight Oscars, with Heath Ledger posthumously winning Best Supporting Actor. Joaquin Phoenix later won Best Actor for portraying the same Joker character in the eponymously-titled Todd Philipps’ 2019 film.

Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight' Trilogy Returns to Select Theaters for Batman Day

Celebrate Batman Day on September 16 by watching The Dark Knight Trilogy, on the big screen at Showcase Cinemas.

Christopher Nolan's realistic take on Batman brought the character back to his roots and set up a complex origin story for the Caped Crusader.

Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman brought emotional complexity and vulnerability to the iconic role, making it distinct from other interpretations.

image.png.15a5b07ccd5fc344e795aa958a432398.png

‘Oppenheimer’ Director Christopher Nolan And Star Cillian Murphy On The Slow Fuse That Led To Their Big Bang At The Box Office

“I’m plagued by a line from The Dark Knight, and I’m plagued by it because I didn’t write it,” says Nolan. “My brother [Jonathan] wrote it. It kills me, because it’s the line that most resonates. And at the time, I didn’t even understand it. He says, ‘You either die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain.’ I read it in his draft, and I was like, ‘All right, I’ll keep it in there, but I don’t really know what it means. Is that really a thing?’ And then, over the years since that film’s come out, it just seems truer and truer. In this story, it’s absolutely that. Build them up, tear them down. It’s the way we treat people.”

Murphy believes that the security of 20 years working together emboldened him. “If you don’t have that history, or that level of trust, with a filmmaker,” he says, “I don’t know if you can be as brave or can dive in like I was able to on this one.”

Edited by Bosco685